The best Portable Key(tar)board

Oscius

• Members

Originally posted by Egens

WTF? keytar haters country?

What, some countries don't like these cool pieces?

Sonata arctica rocks.. I like playin' their solos... like full moon's solo, 8th commandment, wold and raven and thats about it..

SUPERB band.

yup it is cool when someone like that player in the vid uses it.

but then again search some you tube vids :o:O.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

Billy-02.jpg

Keytar Gear: Roland AX-7, Yamaha KX-5, CS-01 and DX-100, Kenton Midistream Wireless Midi kit.
:)

billy sir, i must say you have the most fantastic clothing i have ever seen a male wear.

that's the biggest {censored}ing dragon i have ever seen in my life.

• Members

Originally posted by Egens

WTF?

Sonata arctica rocks.. I like playin' their solos... like full moon's solo, 8th commandment, wold and raven and thats about it..

SUPERB band.

Definitely one of the best metal bands out there. Tho I never really got over Mikko Harkin ( their previous keys player ) leaving the band. Curent one is very good but nowhere near the technical perfection of Harkin and way too prone to live screwups like on the San Sebastian vid where he completely messed up his solo and even more messed up the unison part completely throwing the guitar player off balance. But Im still getting the DVD and buying a beer to the keyboard player first time I catch them live. Also love playing their solos..

• Members

Originally posted by epyon77x

Definitely one of the best metal bands out there. Tho I never really got over Mikko Harkin ( their previous keys player ) leaving the band. Curent one is very good but nowhere near the technical perfection of Harkin and way too prone to live screwups like on the San Sebastian vid where he completely messed up his solo and even more messed up the unison part completely throwing the guitar player off balance. But Im still getting the DVD and buying a beer to the keyboard player first time I catch them live. Also love playing their solos..

I acually like Henkka more, he just has so good emotions and with the keytar you can acually see him playing (and he plays solos a bit like I do) . And the mess up was very small I mean I am sure that non musicans don't even spot it at all. what I don't like about henkka tho is the EXTREMLY metal lead sounds that hurts your throat. even tho the cage sound is superB (compare the My land normal sound vs. The sake) Karma on stage.

just in case you didn't know Harkin has his own band called wingdom now and now he too uses those too metal lead what is up with them seouriously. But harkin hasn't yet discovered the KEYTAR!!

• Members

Wow I was just listening to random SA songs. The intro to the cage is awesome. And I missed them in january. Wasn't introduced to their music until like a week after. And wow I suck that I never bothered to notice that the different albums all have different key players.

• Members

Originally posted by Oscius

even tho the cage sound is superB

I think it was Jens Johansson on the studio recording of that. He's got THE distorted/guitarish lead sound, everybody else just copies that and they usually get a pretty ugly copy.

• Members

Check the Vodka song live (it is from the same concert as the "Metal lead") Vodka song is I think first post in this page :).

you will see that to my ear it is even better than Jens Lead. (even tho Jens made it it is not the Jens lead)

And if henrik got the lead why don't he allways use it. Maybe thwew is just something with "xMetal" sounds nowdays : /

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Doe

Hey! This is a friend of mine!

You know Matt? From the Seattle band Stay Tuned, Right?

They play rock and roll covers of TV themes! Reminds me of the movie Demolition Man, where in the future, oldies are TV commercial music - like "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner."

Do a search on MySpace for dozens of Keytar Bands! :thu:

• Members

BTW billy can you tell me how dose The pitch touch control and expression bar thing work on the AX-7?

The ribbon controller adjusts pitch according to the pitch bend setting of each patch. Center of the ribbon length-wise is zero pitch change. Slide up and down (chick's crack up to watch that) to pitch bend.

The expression bar sends the normal midi CC for expression control, again affecting the sound as it is programmed to receive the midi. I think it is just an on and off trigger, but could be wrong.

:)

• Members

OK if you want a portable MIDI controller, get a Lync. if you can find one. they were the _best_ ... a rolls-royce of MIDI strap-ons:

http://www.synthony.com/vintage/lync.html

or i guess if you need wireless you could go with this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir25-main.html

now if you want a real strap-on synth, get a Liberation. however, don't call it a "keytar" ... that's pretty much asking for a rim job in the Castro:

dont_call_my_moog.jpg

yeah. my moog strap-on was making the girls very moist that night. i could have caught four venereal diseases but went to Steak & Shake instead.

here's a gallery from a week ago that the above picture is from: http://suitandtieguy.com/sights/061706_moline_to_martinis/

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

OK if you want a portable MIDI controller, get a Lync. if you can find one. they were the _best_ ... a rolls-royce of MIDI strap-ons:

http://www.synthony.com/vintage/lync.html

or i guess if you need wireless you could go with this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir25-main.html

The Lync is awesome, don't see them too often! I had not seen the M-audio Midair, very interesting.

STG you are defiantly the classy-est keytar, er...strap-on...player evah! :thu:

• Members

I acually like Henkka more, he just has so good emotions and with the keytar you can acually see him playing (and he plays solos a bit like I do) . And the mess up was very small I mean I am sure that non musicans don't even spot it at all. what I don't like about henkka tho is the EXTREMLY metal lead sounds that hurts your throat. even tho the cage sound is superB (compare the My land normal sound vs. The sake) Karma on stage.

just in case you didn't know Harkin has his own band called wingdom now and now he too uses those too metal lead what is up with them seouriously. But harkin hasn't yet discovered the KEYTAR!!

Well I like Henkkas style, lots of piano, Hammond...its very untypical for the recent finnish metal and in Sonata it works great, but he is waaaay to sloppy on stage and recently his solos are just extra fast patterns mutilated by pitching up and down on keytar ribbon and his sounds ( up to the DVD ) were unpolished and really not something I woud expect from a pro. Btw I think he uses K2500 preset lead and for the Cage he uses Jens Johanson lead. Dont get me wrong, I actually like the guy and his playing, its just that the stage is the great leveler and he still has a lot to prove.

Yes, I know about Wingdom, some nice prog there, I think they are in studio making the second one. Cant wait, never enogh prog. :D

• Members

Well I haven't seen a single vid where henkks screws up in the cage intro and solo. (those are easily the hardest solos of

from sonata)

As for lync it looks like it was from 80's =no thanks. that kind of keytars should be demolished and becouse of those keytar has deserved it's bad reputation.

Wierless AX-7 with paint all the way. :D

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

You know Matt? From the Seattle band
Stay Tuned,
Right?

They play rock and roll covers of TV themes! Reminds me of the movie Demolition Man, where in the future, oldies are TV commercial music - like "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner."

Do a search on MySpace for dozens of Keytar Bands!
:thu:

Yep. That's Matt. He has a funky Hohner Pianet too. It's a fun group. They do hard rock versions of TV show theme songs.

• Members

Quite a lot of power metal bands use keytars, Dragonforce for one. Also the keyboardist in a black metal band, Agathodaimon, uses one, but it looks stupid for the type of music to be honest -_-.

And yea, I prefer Mikko Harkin to Henkka, but I'm sure I saw a video of him using an AX-1 before. It was an old live video for Black Sheep, see if you can find it.

Edit: Tony owns them both though :thu: .

• Members

Cool I haven't didn't know dragonforce uses 1 (I have seen only 1 of their videos and didn't see it) but then again I am not extreme dragonfroce fun since their playing isn't very seourious in some degree. (even tho they are very good players).

Are you sure that Mikko has used a keytar I mean Henkka too has used AX-1 before.

And there indeed is a blacksheep vid of him using it. But I don't know would be cool to see if mikko has really used 1 :p.

Archived