Why can't I pick a phaser?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

I'm caught between the worry of spending too much, the need for a classic, full, organic tone, and a semblance of tweakability

I know I don't want a Small Stone, had one, broke it, feel like getting trying something else.

SIB interests me for the price and the dual speed

MXR, but I wasn't thrilled with a Phase 100 I tried out for a couple of days

Shannon because it seems to be well liked and has a more tweak capabilities

Maxon?

Red Witch because it's so well liked and I think it would be great to have a trem too because I don't have one; save some space on the board

But I haven't convinced myself that I like the sound of the phase on the clips.

God, send me a sign.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

im not god, but i am a bastard.

quasar.gif

oh, and btw, the moon phaser is definitely a good choice.

I like the "mix" knob
I'm not sure why but not many pedals seems to have that
and I'm not sure why, but I really want to have that

thanks for the heads up

• Members

I've got a maxon ph350 rotary phaser, might be just the thing for you.
REally tweakable, even the phase stages are adjustable,dead versatile, does everything from tremolo, vinrato through to jet flange,excelent quality, I immediately sold my mxr phase 100 when I got mine.

• Members

I just bought a moon phaser. I havn't had a chance to hear it do its good stuff yet, as the battery was almost dead when I plugged it in. But, even when it was running off of a dead battery, it sounded better than the other phasers I've tried :p

I have mad gas for Mr. Marshall's Quasar though.

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

I've got an mxr ph350 rotary phaser, might be just the thing for you.

REally tweakable, even the phase stages are adjustable,dead versatile, does everything from tremolo, vibrato through to jet flange,excelent quality, I immediately sold my mxr phase 100 when I got mine.

the mxr phasers really leave a lot of room for impovement IMHO... i think that is why they get copied so much.

• Members

the mxr phasers really leave a lot of room for impovement IMHO... i think that is why they get copied so much.

The original 'real' MXR phasers are awesome - the Dunlop copies, not so great.

I too use the Maxon Rotary Phaser (had an original Phase 100 before hand) and it is great in my opinion. If it is too complex for your needs they do a single knob 'phase 90' style phaser too. Maxon stuff is high quality as is always worth checking out.

• Members

to each his own, but the redwitch that i tried when i was mrmisse's place...

it sounded good. but it needed quite abit of tweaking. i'm not one who spends hours and hours of tweaking on a single pedal...

to each his own i suppose. i have a sovtek smallstone and it does what it does. nothing special.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

The original 'real' MXR phasers are awesome - the Dunlop copies, not so great.

I too use the Maxon Rotary Phaser (had an original Phase 100 before hand) and it is great in my opinion. If it is too complex for your needs they do a single knob 'phase 90' style phaser too. Maxon stuff is high quality as is always worth checking out.

i must admit ive never played on an origial phase 90 or 100... my old guitarist had two phase 90 reissues, and i found that they were a little overbearing and lacked headroom. just my take on it.

• Members

i must admit ive never played on an origial phase 90 or 100... my old guitarist had two phase 90 reissues, and i found that they were a little overbearing and lacked headroom. just my take on it.

It's probably the snob in me but those Dunlop versions are MXR in branding only as far as I'm concerned. Real MXR Innovations pedals are a thing of the past unfortunately.

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

sub rosa, have you tried the phaser on your stereo amp setup yet??

I have - it sends the phased signal the one amp and a dry signal to the other. When used in mono it blends the wet and dry signals together.

To be honest you only really notice the stereo if you have the cabs away from each other or if one amp is running more clean than the other. I think I'm going to run it in mono when I put my board back together and instead use the AD80 for the stereo field as the sound is much more spacious with that.....unless it's possible to get my AD900 modded to stereo.

• Members

I love the phase 90 RI. I like it's slightly more vocal sound than other phasers, it's so swooshy. I also really appreciate the simplicity of it. But try the phase 90, the 100 is a different animal all together. I didn't really dig the one I had at all.

• Members

i went through a few. Wish i could have got my hands on an infinitphase and pigtronix during my tests, and the subdecay was out.

Preferences
1.Red Witch
2.Moog-too many controls for me
3.Phase 90. owned a dunlop, played a script and 80's block. the two old ones were nice. the dunlops aren't bad. Have a major headroom issue though
4.DOD 201. Very subtle. I do like mine, but the red witch is enough for me. PM if you are interested
5.Maxon one-knobber. PT999??? very cool.

Not a fan of the ehx or boss phasers. More of a metallic phase rather than psychedelic...if that makes sense.

Archived