who...1st ever user of guitar effects?

mysterybat35

• Members

Jimi was definitely not the first. I really do not know exactly who it was who intentionally used an outboard effects device. Though Chet Atkins used a wah a few years before Hendrix did. And pedal steel and non-pedal steel players had been using volume pedals for awhile. I have heard distortion on some of the electric guitar playing from the thirties and forties. Though I doubt that it was always intentional. Link Wray was the earliest cat I can think of off the top of my head who intentionally did something to make his guitar sound distorted. He punched holes in the speaker of his amplifier. And I believe Paul Burlison dropped his amplifier and one of the tubes came loose. He liked the sound and recorded like that for awhile.
Link Wray used the tremolo on his amplifier. Lonnie Mack used the vibrato on his Maganatone amplifier. Duane Eddy used a water tank as a reverb unit for awhile. Les Paul may have been the first to use flanging intentionally.

• Members

Originally posted by natasmi

I read in an effects book that the first recorded fuzz pedal was on the Green Acres theme song, pretty cool, think it was a maestro.

One of the coolest uses of fuzz ever. I wonder if that was Glen Campbell or Tommy Tedesco.

At least from what I remember Chet Atkins put a tone pot in his volume pedal to use as a wah. I think the tune was "Trambone".

• Members

Originally posted by mysterybat35

Who was the first person to use a type of distortion or some type of effects. Was Jimi the first?

Les Paul in the 50's or Grady Martin bass solo on Marty Robbins' 61 hit, Don't Worry. The tube powered mixing board started distorting. The effect was left on the recording. That sound was recreated in a pedal circuit and given to Gibson who later called it the Maestro FuzzTone.

On Edit: Name Change

• Members

I do know that Ray Davies satarting using distortion in the earlier part of the 60s after he got tired of ripping his speakers to shreds to attain "the sound"

As well, The sound from I cant Get No Satisfaction is in fact a Fuzz TOne pedal that was meant to emulate horn lines!

• Members

Originally posted by Aster Blistok

didn't leo fender invent and put reverb tank into amplifier when dick dale asked him for such kind of sound?

The first use of spring reverb was in hammond organs. Then in 1960 Dick Dale told Leo Fender that like the reverb in his organ and wanted to use it on his voice. So fender made the first standalone reverb unit. This according to "analog man's guide to vintage effects"

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

Les Paul in the 50's or Grady Collins bass solo on Marty Robbins' 61 hit, Don't Worry. The tube powered mixing board started distorting. The effect was left on the recording. That sound was recreated in a pedal circuit and given to Gibson who later called it the Maestro FuzzTone.

That was Grady Martin on "Don't Worry".

• Members

Originally posted by jonthomas83

The first ever recorded wah was Clapton on Cream's "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" on the Disreali Gears Album I believe. Feel free to Correct me if I'm wrong!

The earliest wah use I can think of off the top of my head is "Trambone" by Chet Atkins. That was a few years before Cream.

• Members

Originally posted by Jebus0000

The first use of spring reverb was in hammond organs. Then in 1960 Dick Dale told Leo Fender that like the reverb in his organ and wanted to use it on his voice. So fender made the first standalone reverb unit. This according to "analog man's guide to vintage effects"

i see. so that was very early use of guitar effect?

• Members

I think Jebus was closest to the answer.

from wikipedia:
Harry DeArmond
In 1948 (perhaps a year or two earlier) he introduced the world's first effect unit for electric guitar, the Model 800 Trem Trol. This foot-operated floor-mounting unit comprised a mains voltage motor that rocked a small sealed bottle fitted with two electrical contacts and containing electrically conductive fluid. The variable frequency of the 'make and break' action of the mechanism created a type of tremolo effect. This effect unit was used by Bo Diddley and by many other artists.

From another source:
The tremolo unit developed by DeArmond, using a motor to rotate a mercury switch, was probably the first outboard effect.

• Members

THERE'S A GUY NAMED MIKE BATTLES IN AKRON, OHIO.
HE IS THE GUY THAT INVENTED THE ECHOPLEX. HE TOLD ME THAT HE WAS BUDDIES WITH CHET ATKINS, AND CHET WOULD HIDE ONE OF MIKE'S FIRST ECHOPLEX'S WHEN HE PLAYED OUT... I GUESS EVERYBODY IN THE AUDIENCE WAS CURIOUS HOW HE GOT THE SOUND THAT HE USED... I DON'T KNOW ANY MORE DETAILS, BUT I'M THINKIN' THE "PLEX" MIGHT HAVE BEEN FIRST (NOT INCLUDING DISTORTION BY MEANS OF CRACKED SPEAKER).

• Members
Originally posted by PFLOYD

THERE'S A GUY NAMED MIKE BATTLES IN AKRON, OHIO.

HE IS THE GUY THAT INVENTED THE ECHOPLEX. HE TOLD ME THAT HE WAS BUDDIES WITH CHET ATKINS, AND CHET WOULD HIDE ONE OF MIKE'S FIRST ECHOPLEX'S WHEN HE PLAYED OUT... I GUESS EVERYBODY IN THE AUDIENCE WAS CURIOUS HOW HE GOT THE SOUND THAT HE USED... I DON'T KNOW ANY MORE DETAILS, BUT I'M THINKIN' THE "PLEX" MIGHT HAVE BEEN FIRST (NOT INCLUDING DISTORTION BY MEANS OF CRACKED SPEAKER).

LOOK DIRECTLY TO THE LEFT OF YOUR "A" KEY. PRESS THE BUTTON. Isn't that better now? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

Thanks Roy, I corrected my Post.

Basically the earliest use of an effect on guitar must have been adding reverb from a studio's reverb/echo chamber.

Yep, and Brit studio savant Joe Meek built the first spring reverb "black box" in 1958/9.

"The third and most important black box was a spring reverb unit made from a broken fan heater. According to Kerridge,

Archived