HCEF creative writer's league... a friendly competition?

jcn37203

• Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Another thing I think we should do is to submit them to Jason anonymously, or submit them to him so he knows who wrote each, and then he posts them in a thread with only a title. That way there'll be nobody thinking "Oh, I don't like that Papa Taco guy. I won't vote for him." even though he writes what might be the next "A Rose for Emily" or stuff along those lines.

Just a suggestion, but I think it might work. So everyone should title their story, too.

I agree. I also think we should dub this rule the "colorsoundkid failsafe." My detractors are many... :cool:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Another thing I think we should do is to submit them to Jason anonymously, or submit them to him so he knows who wrote each, and then he posts them in a thread with only a title. That way there'll be nobody thinking "Oh, I don't like that Papa Taco guy. I won't vote for him." even though he writes what might be the next "A Rose for Emily" or stuff along those lines.

Just a suggestion, but I think it might work. So everyone should title their story, too.

This is a good idea, though I can't stop someone from getting ancy and posting publically.

Anonymous PMed selections shall remain anonymous.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

This is a good idea, though I can't stop someone from getting ancy and posting publically.

Anonymous PMed selections shall remain anonymous.

I don't think you can anonymously PM someone. And won't these stories go over the word count for PM's? I think you should PM the people writing with your e-mail. Then we can e-mail them to you - either in text or as attachments.

• Members

Everyone email your submission to jason.norman at gmail dot com.

I never use that account, so basically any mail there will be for this purpose.

I didn't mean anonymously to me, because I'll need to know who is who in order to know who to mail the Honeytone to. I meant anonymous for the purposes of this thread.

Gah, I think I need to revise the first post here to include all the updates.

• Members

i wrote a story for our school paper on teenage language. you know, slang if you will. how people talk online, text messaging words, etc. i think it's pretty cool, but you guys probably wouldn't be intrested. plus, i'm not gonna type it all up just to get murdered verbally by radom online strangers. so basically, this post has no point whatsoever. i need to get a life..........

• Members

Originally posted by univox5138

i wrote a story for our school paper on teenage language. you know, slang if you will. how people talk online, text messaging words, etc. i think it's pretty cool, but you guys probably wouldn't be intrested. plus, i'm not gonna type it all up just to get murdered verbally by radom online strangers. so basically, this post has no point whatsoever. i need to get a life..........

You wrote a story for your school newspaper to tell the students how they talk?

• Members

You wrote a story for your school newspaper to tell the students how they talk?

it's not really for the students. they don't read it, anyway. heck, i don't even read it. but i needed a credit in that kinda subject, so here i am. and it's not to tell them how they talk, it's to talk about the revolution about slang, when it started, how it's become the "cool thing to do", and how all this new technology has influenced the english language. pretty deep stuff.

• Members

Trey drank his last sip of antifreeze and drain cleaner cocktail. Smiling through his staggered teeth he looked up at the blurring image of the woman who showed him that nothing was more painful than love not returned. He coughed a small pink bit of spittle and she laughed through the tears as his head started shaking. The daily activities of the people passing by left no room to notice as Trey slid down against the crushed gravel, the smell of rain water on pavement filled his nose.

The grass was swaying like the ocean, the sun crept up into the sky and a flurry of birds erupted from a dense hemlock tree. Trey knew that short story writing contests were pathetic and that he would soon be released from the confines of countless english major's strained imaginations, their futile attempts to be deep, intelligent. Too forced, too stiff, the light began splintering into shards of glass, the tree swayed and spread out its branches heaving with labored breath. Strands of barbwire laced through the sky and his bones began twisting under his skin. A dark cloud approached shimmering with movement, accompanied by a dull throbing sound as if a hundred tired circular saws were hacking though the air. The cloud grew closer and the movement more furious. The edge of the cloud began breaking apart, thousands of tiny grey and black shapes with small gleaming eyes and whipsering voices. They enveloped Trey and the earth around him fell away, crackling and throwing small flashes of light all around his slumped form.

• Members

I have a feeling that you (JCN) are a bit leading with the paragraph provided. It almost feels like maybe you are expecting something to come of this particular scenario. Almost as if you are waiting for something typical to be borne of the paragraph. I am still going to write the story, though I feel that you may be expecting some of the themes/concepts/ideas that may be inherent due to our place in history and our cultural relevance at this moment. It will be interesting to see who else conjures up the same ideas, but with differing perspectives, ya know? I am not going to say anymore and I hope no one else blurts it out, either. If you are thinking what I am thinking, that is...

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I have a feeling that you (JCN) are a bit leading with the paragraph provided. It almost feels like maybe you are expecting something to come of this particular scenario. Almost as if you are waiting for something typical to be borne of the paragraph. I am still going to write the story, though I feel that you may be expecting some of the themes/concepts/ideas that may be inherent due to our place in history and our cultural relevance at this moment. It will be interesting to see who else conjures up the same ideas, but with differing perspectives, ya know? I am not going to say anymore and I hope no one else blurts it out, either. If you are thinking what I am thinking, that is...

:confused:

Huh?

No, like I said, I took my dog for a walk, and walked over a footbridge over a dry creekbed. On which sat a young man and woman. He dirty and tired looking, her crying. I wondered what circumstances had brought them to that moment in time.

Thus this thread was born.

Could you PM me what you mean, I'm intrigued?

My hope is that we read lots of totally different takes on the situation. GPD already submitted something I never would have thought of, it was very cool to read and see where he went with it. I look forward to seeing where you take it also.

:)

EDIT: I want to point out that nothing in the paragraph requires the characters to be young, or even close in age.

• Members

BTW, hosting a jam and a story competition = lots of PMs and emails to keep straight. I hope I don't miss anything.

:p

So if I seem to overlook anyone in either deal, please remind me, I'm not going to ignore anyone on purpose.

I sent you a story. Open it in Word, or else the divisions won't show up.

• Members

Originally posted by crazybilly

Could I do it in poetry rather than fiction? My ability to create/write plot was never very spectacular and it's gone in the crapper since college (use or lose it, I suppose).

Poetry on the other hand.....

I think he left it pretty much open. Hell, if someone wanted to write and record a tune about why Trey and Cynthia are so sad, then that'd probably be alright, too. This is the HC Effects house, dude. Anything goes, save for parrots on pricks or Olle trying to get pirated software.

Archived