alesis bitrman alternative

spoonie g

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

What do these do? I've often wondered...

They're essentially digital sound-manglers. Four sections; compression (nasty compression), distortion (ditto), a dual phaser (stupidly wide speed range) and then a multi bit that does com filter, bit crushing, decimation, ring mod, pitch bending and more.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

They're essentially digital sound-manglers. Four sections; compression (nasty compression), distortion (ditto), a dual phaser (stupidly wide speed range) and then a multi bit that does com filter, bit crushing, decimation, ring mod, pitch bending and more.

There are actually 7. See the link I posted above. There were even more that never saw the light of day. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

There are actually 7. See the link I posted above. There were even more that never saw the light of day.
:(

I was talking about the Bitrman.

I've had (or have) all the released ModFX except the Metavox, and I'm starting to think that only the Bitrman and (possibly) Philtre are worth looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I was talking about the Bitrman.

I've had (or have) all the released ModFX except the Metavox, and I'm starting to think that only the Bitrman and (possibly) Philtre are worth looking for.

Gotcha. :) I haven't even tried them. I just ordered all 7 when MF had them and figure them to be an investment.

• Members

:D

The Smashup compressor would be good but for clock noise on the signal lines, the flanger and phase were pretty uninspiring to me. I liked the Ampliton but started to hear some funny distortion on bypass - can't hear it when engaged, so it could be ok in a TB loop.

The Bitrman is bonkers, but usable. The Philtre is pretty darned good if you can get over the huge volume hike you need to make the envelope control work right.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

ck3 has one but its the typical going rate for bitrmans...

i don't blame him but its a shame since i remember when all those units were on closeout...

Mine is only $95 shipped in the conus, BLUESMAN!!! :p

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

Ok, so I can't find one of these
anywhere
(someone tell me if they know where one is). I know there's the frostwave sonic alienator, but can it do anything subtle? most of the sound clips I've heard sound like armageddon.

Two digital ring modulators run in series and set to a high frequency will also give you a decimator effect ... one that I actually prefer more than the one featured on the Bitrman. :o

• Members

I got a Philtre on Tuesday and it does all the stuff I ever want from a filter really.

A tad noisy at some settings, a tad digital (but I don't mind that)...and an absolute ton of sounds to be had. From subtle envelope filter to robotalk-esque sample and hold blips.

cost me $112aussie with a $30 (240v) adaptor...so about $80US and worth it. I'd just try not to think about the close out prices.

It's kind of the pedal you leave in the studi as a sort of trick pedal for a one off strange noise.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I got a Philtre on Tuesday and it does all the stuff I ever want from a filter really.

A tad noisy at some settings, a tad digital (but I don't mind that)...and an absolute ton of sounds to be had. From subtle envelope filter to robotalk-esque sample and hold blips.

cost me $112aussie with a $30 (240v) adaptor...so about $80US and worth it. I'd just try not to think about the close out prices.

It's kind of the pedal you leave in the studi as a sort of trick pedal for a one off strange noise.

It's great that you have given the Alesis Philtre a chance ... it is one of the most criminally underappreciated filter processors IMHUO ... and I regret ever selling my first one (especially after trying the analog equivalent a few times). I recently rediscovered the band stop (notch) filter setting's full potential and am wowed yet again ... as a matter of fact, I used it quite a bit in the latest HCFX jam. :)

I currently run an Electrokraft Tone Box after my Philtre ... and it seems to remove most of the digital edge. As for noise, placing it in a TB loop and/or adding a buffered pedal in the post position can work wonders.

Archived