real differences between the vox and teese picture wahs

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer

talk to me.

aside from handmade vs. mass production, is there an actual difference in the circuit? has anybody played both?

I've owned a Vox V847 (before Dunlop started using the new Fasel clone inducotrs in them) and a RMC3.

The two are pretty diffirent. THe Vox pretty much sounded like my old mid-'80's Dunlop (a good wah, that's back when Dunlop still built them like Thomas Organ did). Good, fat, a veyr even and smooth taper. A solid all-around wah. But it was more modern sounding (or at least more '70's and '80's sounding) it didn't have the vintage tone or sharp "Q" I would hear on old Hendrix and Cream albums.

My RMC-3 (a '96 "Sleeper" model), as real BC-109 transistors, tropical fish caps, and Teese's hand-wound stack-o-dimes inductor (not a Halo or Fasel copy). With a few tweaks and adjustments, I was able to dial in a perfect White Room tone. I mean, dead on. I never looked back to the Dunlop or the Vox.

The Teese does, however, share playing time with my Colrosound wah. But the Colorsound is nothing like a Vox or Vox clone, it has its own unique tone and tight bottom end, plus the longest throw of any wah pedal, lots of control.

If your absolute favorite wah tones are Cream or Hendrix, the Teese will get you closer. Otherwise, buy the Vox and do the true-bypass mod on it. It really is a great, versatile workhorse wah.

I can't comment directly on the Vox V848 or the Picture Wah. But Teese goes out of his way to find or manufacture components to be the way they were in the '60's, Dunlop (under contract from Vox) pretty much uses modern caps, and transistors. Their new Fasel clone inductors are supposed to be really good though.

-Y.

Archived