A neat cover for StoneyStomp and others....

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Ooooooh... I shouldn't have linked to that.

I must remind myself that finally understanding and digging Sleater Kinney doesn't make Eddie Vedder any more bearable. Didn't like that at all.

I'm gonna start listening to more Deerhoof now to get that out of my brain.

Me either, Vedder's voice will never sit right with me, may I suggest http://www.nelscline.com/sounds/Pin/improv1.mp3 as an ear cleanser?

• Members

Ooooooh... I shouldn't have linked to that.

I must remind myself that finally understanding and digging Sleater Kinney doesn't make Eddie Vedder any more bearable. Didn't like that at all.

I'm gonna start listening to more Deerhoof now to get that out of my brain.

Well, I think you need to listen to Mr. Bell's rendition of some R.V. Williams stuff. Is there such a thing? If there is, can you send me some?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Well, I think you need to listen to Mr. Bell's rendition of some R.V. Williams stuff. Is there such a thing? If there is, can you send me some?

Sadly, no -- at least not the Concerto. Maybe the NBC Symphony made a record of one of the Symphonies at some point.

But it's still best heard by English tuba players, anyway -- if you can dig up the old London Symphony Orchestra recording with John Fletcher on tuba, you are in for a serious treat. Otherwise I'd try to find the Eugene Dowling recording. He's Canadian, but it's close enough.

• Members

Much better. That's nice -- not the regular trio, is it? Who's on bass? Big sound.

No, its from his newest album with the Nels Cline Singers. Devin Hoff -- probably alot of bowed bass. Its hard to keep up with his output but this album is cool.

• Members

Sadly, no -- at least not the Concerto. Maybe the NBC Symphony made a record of one of the Symphonies at some point.

But it's still best heard by English tuba players, anyway -- if you can dig up the old London Symphony Orchestra recording with John Fletcher on tuba, you are in for a serious treat. Otherwise I'd try to find the Eugene Dowling recording. He's Canadian, but it's close enough.

You know what? I'm going to have my mom adopt you. It's been forty years since that brain tumor led her brother to hang himself in OSU's stadium dorms. He was set to replace Mr. Bell.

Anyway, she needs such an earnest tubist to live in her house. She already has my two brothers; one who graduated at the top of his university class (3.95) while majoring in Chinese and pre-med, but who wants to live a simple life of leeching off of her and making minimum wage as a nurse aide; the other who is the one genius among us but who won't even come here (this is a challenge, Ben) for fear of personal contact. He's a {censored}ing genius, but won't deal with the real world. Maybe this album'll get us out there. Because he's worth it.

• Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

You know what? I'm going to have my mom adopt you. It's been forty years since that brain tumor led her brother to hang himself in OSU's stadium dorms. He was set to replace Mr. Bell.

Anyway, she needs such an earnest tubist to live in her house. She already has my two brothers; one who graduated at the top of his university class (3.95) while majoring in Chinese and pre-med, but who wants to live a simple life of leeching off of her and making minimum wage as a nurse aide; the other who is the one genius among us but who won't even come here (this is a challenge, Ben) for fear of personal contact. He's a {censored}ing genius, but won't deal with the real world. Maybe this album'll get us out there. Because he's worth it.

:D

Flattered, but I already have three brothers and a sister to contend with, so I'm gonna pass on the offer for more family disfunction...

By the way, you also need two recordings of the Hindemith Tuba Sonata, which rocks mightily -- get the Oystein Baadsvik recording with the unfortunate cover, and then get the Glenn Gould complete Hindemith Sonatas for Brass. The Gould is a glorious recording, but it's at least 50% Gould and only about 5% Torchinsky and 45% Hindemith.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Wow! That's terrible. Attack of the fifty foot tuba.

Yeah. I was shocked to meet him a few years ago and discover that he's not a ridiculous tuba geek. Actually did a bunch of shows with Chick Corea that he said were much more like the good Corea of the 1970s than the crap he's doing lately.

Archived