Ween Vocals (how do they do that?)

stereotypy

• Members

i'm planing to introduce my singer to something new... hehe... i've already tried to let the mic signal flow through my stomp boxes to the p.a. via di-box... but they're mine and i need em to play guitar.. :rolleyes:

i like the things ween do with their vocals. i heard somewhere they're using a digitech whammy for it. but maybe only a pitch-shift rack unit.. don't know.

maybe you know the digitech vx400. many patches, expression, whammy included, and best: also robot and space sounds!!!

but i heard this unit is very noisy.....

i need something which can do reverb, spacey alienated voices, pitch shift.... but not a $1500 rack unit....

what do you think/use??

• Members

The Ween recordings sound like varispeed tricks to me. You slow down or speed up the tape to get the pitch within your range, then return the tape to normal speed once the overdub is done. It changes the timbre of your voice in weird ways without stretching it too far out of your actual vocal range.

It's a very different sound from pitch shifting. I'd be willing to bet that "Ocean Man" (for example) was recorded that way.

• Off Topic Exile

Originally posted by Dave Fox

Ween? Are they a popular band? In August we had a sub keyboard player on a gig named Glenn Mclelland, he said he's in a band called Ween. Is that the same band?

Ween is one of those bands that *almost* makes it popular every album... their songs have even been on Honda commercials (without their permission), but their unapologetic drug use, bizzare effects use, and weird songs (a country albums, a prog rock album, a pop album, etc) make them undesireable to big record labels. And yup... I believe Glenn did play with them (does?!?)

To keep it effects related, these guys were rocking vintage EHX way before NIrvana and still do to this day. I think Ween may be one of the only bands that uses flanging in a way that serves the song... you need to make them buy a TZF, Dave!

Archived