NYC Folks: cheap Pro Junior

MrSage

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Awesome! Let us know how it sounds!

I would have totally tapped that ass, but I've already got my AC-15 and my Champ clone...that's plenty of amp for a Manhattan apt!

I know what you mean. Regardless of the general lack of space, my walls are like saran wrap with a coat of white primer.

Not sure if I'm going to keep both my Pro jr's, probably going to get rid of the blonde. Although it's really tempting to keep them both and start running stuff in stereo.

I played through it for a couple of minutes at the dudes apartment - more headroom than my blonde, but it's got a different tube complement (12ax7/ECC vs the two 12ax7s in my blonde). I'm not sure what the speaker is - it doesn't look stock, no fender label. It actually looks identical to the speaker in my blonde, which I'm 99% sure is not stock.

Has the standard noise problem. I've tried most of the recommended tricks to cut down the noise on my blonde. It's helped, but hasn't entirely removed the problem. I'll see if I have better luck with the Tweed.

And it's MIA. I thought the tweeds were MIJ or MIM?

• Members

Good score!! Believe it or not I got one off of ebay from a gcrep
(they are thievs but I got it for $185.00). I wasn't expecting much but I had a new one that sounded great but buzzed and hummed like Monica in the oval office so I returned it in favour of a Blues Jr. The one I got on ebay had no hum or buzz but was near impossible to get rid of rattle no matter what tubes I tried.
I use it on top of a home built 2x12 cab and it sounds excellent.
I may just turn it into a head.
They really do have a boutique-ey sound if you find the right
cab. This one sounds absolutly amazing with the stock speaker and a Strat with Texas speacials in it . too bad for the rattles.

• Members

I must of got lucky with my BJr. The only rattles I get (or so i assume) are tube element rattles when its really cranked, and thats only on certain notes (E and B mainly). I think the Jr would be a much better amp if it's cab was made a little bigger. Say, not having the tubes directly behind the speaker for a start. Sooner or later i'll probably take the same route as you and just put it on top of a 2 x 12 cab.

Archived