Ask ginnboonmiller

AcousticControl

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Hey -- this is ask ginnboonmiller. I'll field the questions here.

Thelonius' wife is due on March 12. It is their first. They know what they are having: a baby. And yes, he has had the ultrasound, but it turned out his wife was the pregnant one after all.

And congratulations to you, too!

:D

congrats to mr twang as well. awesome.

• Members

Be forewarned, though -- you know those days that you go out philandering and come home too late, drunk and tired to brush your teeth before you pass out on the bed with your pants half on? Those days would be over.

:o:( I never thought of that! Thank you GBM.

• Members

Oh! I got an ask GBM ....

So here I am trying to be a professional musician. But I have a dayjob right now, cuz, well, I have to. Now said dayjob is a royal pain in the arse, and to top it off, they're going to make me on call about one week a month, which means that I could get called in the middle of a gig and I'll have to magically produce a laptop with an internet connection that's capable of tunneling into our firewall. And then perhaps spending hours on the phone trying to get some yahoo their service back.

In the meantime, I've been getting a lot more gigs with this wedding band I play in. Right now I'm averaging about a gig a week with them. If I get 3 gigs a week, then I can officially quit the dayjob. This may take some time to work up to, and also note that while Nov/Dec is the busy season (Xmas parties & other holidays), Jan/Feb/Mar is the leanest time of the year.

So. Should I
1. Find another dayjob that's not as big a PITA?
2. Suck it up and deal with this job until I can get a lot more wedding gigs?
3. Take the bull by the horns and just quit now and force myself to get money somehow (eg, male prostitution)?

Thanks.

• Members

Okay. So we have two Q&A features in this joint. Yours finds you ANSWERING other people's questions, while Pal's finds him ASKING the questions and us trying to find him answers.

So, if I tried to make an analogy of this place and a sitcom, would Cheers be a good one to analogize us with? You being Cliff, and Kevin being Woody? Or is there another, better, sitcom that would best describe this dysfunctional gin joint? (I've been obsessed with this ever since that one thread of JCN's long ago; last week I tried to liken this place to The Wonder Years, but nobody wanted to play).....

• Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Oh! I got an ask GBM ....

So here I am trying to be a professional musician. But I have a dayjob right now, cuz, well, I have to. Now said dayjob is a royal pain in the arse, and to top it off, they're going to make me on call about one week a month, which means that I could get called in the middle of a gig and I'll have to magically produce a laptop with an internet connection that's capable of tunneling into our firewall. And then perhaps spending hours on the phone trying to get some yahoo their service back.

In the meantime, I've been getting a lot more gigs with this wedding band I play in. Right now I'm averaging about a gig a week with them. If I get 3 gigs a week, then I can officially quit the dayjob. This may take some time to work up to, and also note that while Nov/Dec is the busy season (Xmas parties & other holidays), Jan/Feb/Mar is the leanest time of the year.

So. Should I

1. Find another dayjob that's not as big a PITA?

2. Suck it up and deal with this job until I can get a lot more wedding gigs?

3. Take the bull by the horns and just quit now and force myself to get money somehow (eg, male prostitution)?

Thanks.

Of course, as a veteran tuba player, I know almost nothing about actually gigging... :D

It's a tough question, there. Don't do number three. Every time I try that, gigs dry up. Temping is always pretty cool, because your boss doesn't care, either, and you can pretty well control your schedule as long as assignments keep coming in.

I'd suggest you try getting really cocky with your present job. Tell them you refuse to go on call, see how they react. If they fire you, well, you're thinking about quitting anyway.

Good friend of mine is an increasingly successful avant-guitarist. She recently told her boss, "I don't think I'm going to come in on Fridays anymore." It worked. Her boss said, "well, I guess you just got your raise, then," and didn't change her salary for working eight fewer hours a week.

Also, don't think that a book contract will free up your schedule anyway. Just trust me on that.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Okay. So we have two Q&A features in this joint. Yours finds you ANSWERING other people's questions, while Pal's finds him ASKING the questions and us trying to find him answers.

So, if I tried to make an analogy of this place and a sitcom, would
Cheers
be a good one to analogize us with? You being Cliff, and Kevin being Woody? Or is there another, better, sitcom that would best describe this dysfunctional gin joint? (I've been obsessed with this ever since that one thread of JCN's long ago; last week I tried to liken this place to The Wonder Years, but nobody wanted to play).....

Hmmm... I figure I'm more Frasier than Cliff. I may be a pompous windbag, but I'm a pompous windbag with an education, dammit.

Which raises the question: does that mean pal is still Woody, or is he more like Roz? In which case, you would be Martin, with the long, rambling stories that eventually get to a cogent point, just before credits roll. And I bet you have a ratty lounge chair, too.

• Members

Hmmm... I figure I'm more Frasier than Cliff. I may be a pompous windbag, but I'm a pompous windbag with an education, dammit.

Which raises the question: does that mean pal is still Woody, or is he more like Roz? In which case, you would be Martin, with the long, rambling stories that eventually get to a cogent point, just before credits roll. And I bet you have a ratty lounge chair, too.

tracy met Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman yesterday.

sorry for the non-GBM-related interjection!

• Members

I KNEW you were going to say that. I actually almost asked if you saw yourself as Frazier, instead, but I banked on the fact that you would correct me, Dr. Smartypants!

And sadly, I no longer have a ratty lounge chair. Not since I had to move away from Milwaukee and get all respectable. I used to have two ratty orange ones on my Milwaukee front porch, along with a chained-down grill and a vintage Hammong organ bench that served as a drinkin' table.

• Members

Of course, as a veteran tuba player, I know almost nothing about actually gigging...
:D

It's a tough question, there. Don't do number three. Every time I try that, gigs dry up. Temping is always pretty cool, because your boss doesn't care, either, and you can pretty well control your schedule as long as assignments keep coming in.

I'd suggest you try getting really cocky with your present job. Tell them you refuse to go on call, see how they react. If they fire you, well, you're thinking about quitting anyway.

Good friend of mine is an increasingly successful avant-guitarist. She recently told her boss, "I don't think I'm going to come in on Fridays anymore." It worked. Her boss said, "well, I guess you just got your raise, then," and didn't change her salary for working eight fewer hours a week.

Also, don't think that a book contract will free up your schedule anyway. Just trust me on that.

I did consider wising off and trying to get fired, but I actually don't think that's gonna work. We're incredibly short-staffed (which is why we're going to go on call). There was about a month where I'd show up to work real late (like sometimes an hour) and instead of firing me, they just made my life a living hell. Now I get to work 1/2 hour early :(

For the same reason, I don't think the attitude copping will work either. Although it's a thought. And maybe if I get up to 2 gigs a week, I'll actually try it...

But thanks a lot for the book deal advice. The best advice you've given :)

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I KNEW you were going to say that. I actually almost asked if you saw yourself as Frazier, instead, but I banked on the fact that you would correct me, Dr. Smartypants!

It's a pretty common joke among people that know both me and my brother to say that we are the models for Frasier and Niles, but not to say which is which. At which point Colin and I invariably start arguing like Frasier and Niles and prove them correct.

Archived