Question for effects makers, DIY'ers...

LongJohnny

• Members

I just got in some jacks from Taiwan, that are noticeably less in the quality department than switchcraft, cliff, or neutrik. I had a hard time with the decision to put them on my site, as I dont want people to make {censored}ty pedals. On the other hand, I have had numerous requests for these kind of jacks.

Long story short, I put them up on my site last night, and already have sold a couple of hundred of them. Is it that people are cheap? Or do you think that these will last/sound good like any other jack?

John

• Members

Are they Kobicon? I actually prefer them myself and use them on all the stuff I build for myself. I prefer them because it's not a tug of war to get your cable out like it is with switchcraft and nuetrik. Unfortunately that is what makes switchcraft and nuetrik more rugged.

FYI, I have never had a problem with the kobicon stuff accept you have to get the solder tabs really hot for the solder to stick.

• Members

people are cheap. but also, for a lot of DIY projects that will never leave the bedroom/lounge/garage, it might not make a lot of difference.

truth be told I build all my prototypes with cheap parts, cheap enclosures, and i use old throw switches instead of the stomp switches. it is only once the thing is tuned and sounding good that I even bother to put it in a "proper" enclosure with stomp switches and good jacks, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

Is it that people are cheap?

There are many folks who scrounge old VCRs for caps that would cost them pennies to buy new. Folks use junction boxes for enclosures and still use X-wing switches when blue 3PDTs are available. So to answer your question.......yes.

If they work reasonably well, sell them.

Archived