Fuzz advice?!

• Members

Yep, another "spend my money" thread. I'm looking for a good fuzz that can approximate the tones Luna and Pavement were both so good at finding. I've got a vintage Rat RI, a black russian Muff... but GAS has a hold of me, and I feel I need something a bit more refined and fuzzy. Looking at a Peachfuzz. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Members

Zero is an aggressive yet articulate fuzz based on the smashing pumpkins song "Zero".

Ernie is a thick fuzz based on Ernie Isley's "Who's that Lady" tone. Very vintage.

Top fuel is pure Gilmour. "Comfortably Numb", "In The Flesh", and "Sorrow".

Top fuel is what I want. Here's a post that really explains what Top fuel is:

Originally posted by skr3ddy

David uses Boss GE-7 EQs to tailor his tones. A Big Muff without either some mods or a graphic eq will not produce those midrange tones. Plus, his fuzz tones are smooth, not raw sounding. It's hard to tell just what Mr. Gilmour is using and what he's not using at any one time, but he has several different compressors and obviously uses a LOT of compression. Without a compressor in front, a Big Muff will eat the high frequencies from your guitar, and you won't have that glassiness and articulation that Gilmour is known for.

So, the Top Fuel is very different from a Big Muff, in that it uses a high-impedance, treblier front end than the classic circuit, it uses smoother-sounding clipping diodes than the classic circuit, and, lastly, it uses a mid-boosting tone stack rather than the classic mid-scoop. So you get all three; glassy articulation, smoothness, and midrange dominance, in one pedal rather than having to use a compressor, Big Muff, and an eq.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestings, I'll keep that in mind. Those are all good tones, but as I said, I'm kind of looking for a couple bands in particular. I know Pavement used a Big Cheese a bit, and Luna has used numerous fuzz boxes... That's why I wasn't sure if there's one particular that'd be recommended.

• Members
Originally posted by EvilSoup

Zero is an aggressive yet articulate fuzz based on the smashing pumpkins song "Zero".

Ernie is a thick fuzz based on Ernie Isley's "Who's that Lady" tone. Very vintage.

Top fuel is pure Gilmour. "Comfortably Numb", "In The Flesh", and "Sorrow".

Top fuel is what I want. Here's a post that really explains what Top fuel is:

wow thanks for the info. ya i'm looking for a pretty vintage sounding, aggressive fuzz. think the car chase seen in the newer starsky and hutch

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

hmm just downloaded 'who's that lady', thast allmost the exact tone i'm looking for

That is an incredible thing they recorded on that song. I recently read an account that said it was just a Meyer Octavia (probably direct to the mixing board) and multiple takes, with 4 hands on the board mixing various parts of those takes into the final cut. According to that account, a Big Muff was not used in that studio recording. Then again, the story doesn't mention any kind of phaser, either, and the song appears to employ a very swirly one. Ernie Isley was seen using a lamb's head Big Muff circa 1974 touring. I made the Ernie to sound like that model Big Muff (but less noisy at high gain settings), and it is great for that early 70's funk/psychedelic sound.

Edit: I just gave the song another listen, and it is definitely possible that what is perceived as phasing in that guitar is just the octavia's tone being modulated by Ernie's cultured and very classy finger vibrato technique throughout. The tone is definitely something that took them hours to create in the studio and would not be possible live (they said that any slight adjustments totally changed everything--very touchy and interactive). Hence the Big Muff and phaser live for that sort of thing.

Archived