Gee, I sure hope the Red Sox enjoy watching the World Series on television this year.

Chriss

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

No doubt man. But Clemons and Pettitte are definitly more integral players in the Yankee/Red Sox soap opera. I

I don't know, I think Contreras is a big part of the Yankees/Red Sox soap opera. We all know how Theo Epstein threw a huge temper tantrum when he was unable to sign Contreras. (Didn't he smash a chair or something?) Typical crybaby Red Sox behavior.

And why do the Red Sox hate A-Rod so much when right before he was traded to the Yankees the Red Sox were willing to give up Manny Ramirez for him in a trade? They were absolutely desperate to sign A-Rod, yet now they hate him because they were incapable of getting the deal done? It just doesn't make any sense.

Is it because A-Rod is the embodiment of the Red Sox's own inadequecies? Seriously -- I'm not trying to be a wiseacre. But why do they hate him so much when right before he was traded to NY they were absolutely DESPERATE to sign him themselves?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't hear anyone telling me I'm wrong! (yet)

I don't think you're wrong per se, but you do make a lot of serious generalizations that weaken your argument.

I'll agree that most Yankee fans have a greater sense of entitlement, but to say that we're oblivious to the faults of the team's owner is inaccurate at best.

• Members

I'll qualify and say there are exceptions. Most idoits I hear on the radio these days however blame Torre and Arod and Bernie Williams. So I say the dignified and reflective amongst your legion are few. Spending 50 million each on Damon and Juan Pierre and having them platoon in centerfield seems to be a popular notion amongst the "whose your daddy" crowd. They are the face of your nation.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Twang

I don't know, I think Contreras is a big part of the Yankees/Red Sox soap opera. We all know how Theo Epstein threw a huge temper tantrum when he was unable to sign Contreras. (Didn't he smash a chair or something?) Typical crybaby Red Sox behavior.

And why do the Red Sox hate A-Rod so much when right before he was traded to the Yankees the Red Sox were willing to give up Manny Ramirez for him in a trade? They were absolutely desperate to sign A-Rod, yet now they hate him because they were incapable of getting the deal done? It just doesn't make any sense.

Is it because A-Rod is the embodiment of the Red Sox's own inadequecies? Seriously -- I'm not trying to be a wiseacre. But why do they hate him so much when right before he was traded to NY they were absolutely DESPERATE to sign him themselves?

we're not so angry with him per se, as we are angry at what that whole situation stood for.

We were trying to wheel and deal and flex and connive to be able to get him and in swooped the Yankees with a dump truck full of money and just scooped him up. We're pissed at the notion that New York just has more money to buy up massive contracts and no one else can. You guys had a MISERABLE contract with Kevin Brown for around $15 million, the Pavano contract which was huge, Bernie's money, again huge, Jeter etc. You guys can spend $200 million and if a $20 million dollar a year player showed up, you could just stack that on top of the heap. No other team can do that and THAT'S why every other team hates your guts. Because you do not allow ANY other team to get a good player on a fair offer. If you want him more, George just throws a ton of money at them and away they go.

The Red Sox spent the 2nd highest amount of money and we were STILL $80 million behind you. There's something REALLY wrong with that. Adn then on top of that, Yankee fans want to go out and just buy up Beltran, Konerko etc. And the bitch of it is, George could do it. The ONLY thing that gives me peace is that the Yankees have tried over and over to field a team of All Stars and they still can't win it all.

• Members

Spending 50 million each on Damon and Juan Pierre and having them platoon in centerfield seems to be a popular notion amongst the "whose your daddy" crowd. They are the face of your nation.

Yes, you're right, but I don't know if they are the "face of my nation." But I guess each team's fanbase has its flaws (uh, Ben Affleck anyone?). Still, most of the hardcore Yankees fans that I know are vastly knowledgeable and don't fall for all the hype.

I'm the last person who wants to see Damon in Pinstripes. The Yankees need to get younger and quicker and to stop trying to fix leaks with overpriced free agents.

One of the main reasons the Yankees were so successful from 1996 to 2000 is that they were able to build a team for the long term when Steinbrenner was banned from baseball because he wasn't hanging over their heads with this stupid "win now or else" mantra.

And Torre is a fantastic manager, and any Yankees fan who thinks he should go is delusional, imo.

• Members
Originally posted by Chriss

So... how are The Big Rock Candy Mountain Cavities looking for next season?
:)

All rabid fans have their psychological baggage. As a Mets fan I certainly have mine. I can't make that font small enough. I'm hopin' Pedro and the midget can make it through the four year contract. I'm really hoping that Beltran is not the latest Bobby Bonilla/Micky Lolichesque free agent disaster. No other team has the knack for spending a ton of money on a free agent and having it turn to {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

We were trying to wheel and deal and flex and connive to be able to get him and in swooped the Yankees with a dump truck full of money and just scooped him up.

That doesn't make any sense. What a dumb argument. The Red Sox tried to trade for A-Rod and failed, again. Period.

It was only well after that transpired that the Rangers approached Brian Cashman about a potential deal. The Yankees were just able to work out a better deal than the Red Sox were. The Yankees got A-Rod for a steal. They're not paying his full salary by any means.

All of Red Sox nation had a huge hard-on for A-Rod, but because of their own incompetence they couldn't sign him. So naturally, now they hate him beccuse he is the walking talking embodiment of their own failures? Man, that's really weak.

It's no wonder Roger Clemens doesn't want to go to the Hall of Fame wearing a Red Sox cap. Who'd want to be associateed with those losers for the rest of his life?

• Members

All rabid fans have their psychological baggage. As a
Mets fan
I certainly have mine. I can't make that font small enough. I'm hopin' Pedro and the midget can make it through the four year contract. I'm really hoping that Beltran is not the latest Bobby Bonilla/Micky Lolichesque free agent disaster. No other team has the knack for spending a ton of money on a free agent and having it turn to {censored}.

Who's the midget?

• Members

Good points. The Clemons hall of fame thing always seemed like the ultimate diss. Boggs was kind of diplomatic about his ring; you know what I mean? Clemons just resonates in a more profound way because....well because he's one of the best ever...I mean can you see Rivera ever pitching for the Red Sox?

• Members

Who's the midget?

OMG. Don't tell me you don't know about Pedro's midget? I suck at posting pics or links etc so you'll have to find it on your own. But it's bizarre and hysterical at the same time. There are all kinds of provisions in his contract for his Dominican midget sidekick. The midget was kickin' it with Pedro up in Beantown. I can't believe you don't know...

• Members

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer

you don't remember the midget from last year's world series? he has this midget that he brings with him. its bizarre.

Yes, now I remember! He was in the remake of "Island of Lost Souls" with Brando and Val Kilmer.

But didn't Pedro dump the midget after the series?

• Members

That doesn't make any sense. What a dumb argument. The Red Sox tried to trade for A-Rod and failed, again. Period.

It was only well after that transpired that the Rangers approached Brian Cashman about a potential deal. The Yankees were just able to work out a better deal than the Red Sox were. The Yankees got A-Rod for a steal. They're not paying his full salary by any means.

All of Red Sox nation had a huge hard-on for A-Rod, but because of their own incompetence they couldn't sign him. So naturally, now they hate him beccuse he is the walking talking embodiment of their own failures? Man, that's really weak.

It's no wonder Roger Clemens doesn't want to go to the Hall of Fame wearing a Red Sox cap. Who'd want to be associateed with those losers for the rest of his life?

The reason the Sox came up short was money. Look up the deal and you'll find that out.

And A-Rod is hardly the "embodiment of their own failures" since we won it all without him or his 'slap move'.

• Members

I got nuthin' against the little guy.
:)
What do the players think I wonder?

Those pictures from the club house were freaky as hell.

Pedro wearing swim goggles, soaked in champagne and holding a midget above his head in a tiny Red Sox uniform, weird.

• Members

You want Pedro you have to make allowances for the midget. which
the Mets
did.

It pisses me off that Steinbrenner didn't even make a play for Pedro, and went for that aging, overpaid stiff Randy Johnson instead. I would have loved to have seen that midget in a little Yankee uniform!

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

Those pictures from the club house were freaky as hell.

Pedro wearing swim goggles, soaked in champagne and holding a midget above his head in a tiny Red Sox uniform, weird.

Hysterical. If I'm not mistaken the midget is written into Pedro's contract.

• Members

It pisses me off that Steinbrenner didn't even make a play for Pedro, and went for that aging, overpaid stiff Randy Johnson instead. I would have loved to have seen that midget in a little Yankee uniform!

Funny; I thought just the opposite at the start of the season. I'm still nervous about Pedro's arm lasting the 4 years of his deal. His loss of velocity, arm problems that could turn serious at any moment, etc....I thought Johnson was the smarter move after the year he had for hapless Arizona.....I'm glad I was wrong about that one. Usually it's the Mets who turn expensive, can't miss free agents to the titanic. Midget or not when he's on he's just one of the most enjoyable players to watch pitch.....Poor Johnson. His slider just went to {censored} this year.

• Members

Funny; I thought just the opposite at the start of the season. I'm still nervous about Pedro's arm lasting the 4 years of his deal. His loss of velocity, arm problems that could turn serious at any moment, etc....I thought Johnson was the smarter move after the year he had for hapless Arizona.....I'm glad I was wrong about that one. Usually it's
the Mets
who turn expensive, can't miss free agents to the titanic.

i thought he'd be out for the year by the all-star break.

he had a respectable year, winning 15 games. if they can put together a decent defense, he actually has a shot to win 20 next year, and the Mets actually have a shot at the wildcard.

Archived