Tonebone Classic and Solid State amp?

guitar-fish

• Members

The Tonebone Classic sounds like a great pedal that a lot of people use with their tube amps. I have a Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP, I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal through the clean channel and it's very good. The Tonebone isn't cheap, I'm wondering how it would sound through my solid state amp.

• Members

It's a very powerful amp with a superb clean channel, and when I use the Marshall pedal it really sounds great. I'm looking for some variety, which is why I was looking at the Tonebone.

Being a novice/homeplayer, the amp was overkill for me when I bought it, and I'd take a big hit if I sold it, so I'm gonna have to make due.

• Members

A lot of forumites recommend the Nady TD-1 over the Tonebone classic. Sounds exactly the same with the same options only its a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't imagine a tonebone would make your amp sounds like a tube amp though if that's your intention. Can't say i've done rigourous testing myself but I remember reading on some amp site that the characteristic tube amp tone is largely due to the tube power amp section and a large majority of msuicians cannot distinguish tube preamp distortion and transisitor preamp distortion on a blind test. The article then went into a scathing attack on hybrid amps.

Archived