OT: A Scanner Darkly.

pizzamon

• Members

Saw this movie today. I have never liked Keanu Reeves (Matrix was silly), but I thought he rocked this movie. The whole thing was very well done. I am a bitch when reviewing things like this. I dislike most of hollywood, and remakes of my fav. books. This was well done tho. I suggest that it will satisfy both the Playstation, and the Nintendo crowd. It takes a little while for you to catch on to what is happening, but Dick books are like that. Maybe they will interpret "We Can Build You" next :love: Every interpretation of Dick books has been a success so far.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great movie, but it left me feeling very sad, because I know a couple people who have done drugs and been hurt very badly for it. I was really glad that it stayed so close to the book, and even kept the dedication at the end of it.

Visually, the movie was wonderful, and was actually quite easy to follow for me. I thought it expressed the book nearly perfectly, though some of the monologues from the book sounded a little awkward when actually voiced.

Overall, I was really pleased with it, and though it's not for everyone, I think it's a great adaptation of one of the best drug books ever written.

• Members

Great, looking forward to this, Phillip K. Dick is one of my favorites...his stuff is more relevant now than ever, and I fear it'll become even more relevant in the next 50 years...the guy was a prophet.

I'd say Dick has been exploited by Hollywood more...there's been tons of Lovecraft films, but only a handful that were good (Stuart Gordon's stuff, Dunwitch Horror)...and I can't think of any Lovecraft film that was a box office success.

• Members

This is why some say it can be a little hard to follow sometimes. True the monologues can confuse the scene at times, but they are necessary IMO. You really have to wait for the end of the flick to make it all come together. You get the confused and paranoid feeling of the junky, making it well...almost tedious at times. It all comes together at the end of the flick tho. I can imagine being a junkie is very tedious.

• Members

There's also apparently a French movie called Confessions d'un Barjo (based on Confessions of a Crap Artist), which I haven't seen: http://www.philipkdick.com/films_other.html

I really enjoyed Scanner Darkly. I really think it is one of the great adapations of PKD's work (not just for being so close to the source, but also from a visual standpoint I think the rotoscoping and animation really did get across some of the world presented in the book).

I think it's kind of funny that I've seen a few comments elsewhere from people basically saying this is a great movie to see when you're on drugs, since I think those people might be missing the point...:)

• Members

Originally posted by Zadillo

[b

I think it's kind of funny that I've seen a few comments elsewhere from people basically saying this is a great movie to see when you're on drugs, since I think those people might be missing the point...
:)

people say that about the 'fear and loathing in las vegas' movie as well. i think those people would think ANYTHING was great on drugs.

• Members

Originally posted by Zadillo

There's also apparently a French movie called Confessions d'un Barjo (based on Confessions of a Crap Artist), which I haven't seen:

_Barjo_ is a fun film, but you'd never guess there was a PKD connection at all. Its theme song gets stuck in my head for days when I watch it.

• Members

Originally posted by pizzamon

Maybe DICK was rogered more. You guys are mentioning movies I either forgot, or didn't realize were DICK movies. Who is rogered more then, William Gibson or DICK?

Have they made a movie of Neuromancer yet? I liked Johnny Mnemonic, except for my vision of Molly was more Japanese female ninja than Dina Meyer crack whore.

What does rogered mean anyway? Good or bad connotation?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

Have they made a movie of Neuromancer yet? I liked Johnny Mnemonic, except for my vision of Molly was more Japanese female ninja than
Dina Meyer
crack whore.

What does
rogered
mean anyway? Good or bad connotation?

I think Johnny Mnemonic is as close as we are gonna get to a Neuromancer movie.

Archived