Help, Guitar player ==> Keyboard learner

expertune

• Members

I am a guitar player. I did not play keyboard, however, I bought a Yamaha keyboard recently and had lots of fun with it. So I am kinda serious now, or should I say I just do not want to be too crappy.

Do you have any suggestion for a keyboard learner? How to practice? ofcoz I do not want to start from classical piano lessons.

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

I am a guitar player. I did not play keyboard, however, I bought a Yamaha keyboard recently and had lots of fun with it. So I am kinda serious now, or should I say I just do not want to be too crappy.

Do you have any suggestion for a keyboard learner? How to practice? ofcoz I do not want to start from classical piano lessons.

Thanks

Just play and play and play. Play along with some songs, and figure out parts by ear. The sheer repition of practice makes you good. I have no training, but i'm getting pretty good because playing is something i love to do.

Oh and also, jam with people whenver you get the chance no matter the genre. Playing with others always makes you better.

• Members

Originally posted by Spectre84

Just play and play and play. Play along with some songs, and figure out parts by ear. The sheer repition of practice makes you good. I have no training, but i'm getting pretty good because playing is something i love to do.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by HomeInMyShoes

I don't know, I'd give the lessons a shot. Nothing too long, but some time with classical lessons will give you a really good technique base. I should know. I'm a piano player with really bad guitar playing technique because of no lessons.
:)

Yea but i tend to agree with the person who said to take organ lessons because organ is more like most keyboards.

• Members

Keyboards are not like guitar, where you can learn at home.

If you're serious about playing keys now you need to take at least a year of formal piano lessons. Look up your local college or music store, or go private.

• Members

Just my $0.02....

I play keys in our church praise band - ummm - 'cause no one else is doing it! - My main instrument is Sax - an' I can play some geetar.

My thoughts would be to approach keys as you would guitar - that is - by reading chord charts (ie Asus4, F#m7) - and not trying to read notes on a staff.

Get familiar with playing all the ol' familiar chords you know on guitar - on the keyboard - this includes the inversions.

To "practice" - well - play the thing! Figure out how to play the songs you now know on guitar on keys. If the song is an ol' D-A-G thing - learn how to do that on the keys - and you're on the way.

After you the hang of chording a song - you can start experimenting with note movement within a chord..and using alternate chord voicings - such as playing a D2 instead of a plain old D.

Then - the next time you jam - set the keyboard to some cheesy organ sound - and play just the chords with your right hand - and you too can be a keybardist!! :D

:cool:

• Members

Oh yeah - to follow on the comments about lessons -

That'd be good too!

If ya check yer local community college - they may have a music theory course - that, and piano lessons. I took piano lessons as a kid - but I got the most "bang for the buck" from a couple of semesters of theory.

• Members

Do it all.

Get a teacher. It'll speed things along. I'd interview several. Find someone who knows his stuff. More important, find someone with whom you get along and who knows how to teach. As a bonus, you'll be able to apply the theory to any musical instrument, including the guitar. You don't have to learn classical piano (though I did, and am grateful for it) - learn some popular music instead.

Listen to songs and play along with them. This will develop your ear.

Learn the chord charts.

The musictheory.net site is a good one.

• Members

Yea, learn some theory and how to read music (If you can't already, quite a lot of guitarists can't >_>). A good idea would be to buy Hanon's "The Virtuoso Pianist". That'll help you to no end, trust me.

As for lessons, I've had none, and I can play what I wanna play really (Metal stuff, ie. Sonata Arctica and stuff) , so you should be alright....

Archived