October's Underrated Obscure Jazz Musician of the Month.

ginnboonmiller

• Members

Let's see if I can remember to do this regularly. Or if anyone gives a crap.

This month: tenor saxophonist David Murray.

With a bold, Sonny Rollinsish sound and a knack for slipping in and out of chord changes willy-nilly, David Murray was thought by most critics in the early 1980s to be the Future of Jazz. At last, everyone thought, here is the man who can reunite the cutting edge of the free guys with the overly conservative mainstream!

And boy, could he. 1980's Ming is a tour-de-force, with Murray leading a fantastic Octet, scored like a mini-big band through some seriously heavy {censored} that stretched the ears without making them snap off.

Then Wynton Marsalis showed up and everyone forgot about Murray. Too bad. He's still working and still great, but occasionally remembers that he was supposed to be relevant and puts out schlocky stuff to win the spotlight back. But damn, Ming alone should put him in the canon for all time.

• Members

David Murray is giant musician.
I think he usualy gets a place after
orrnete colemen in the jazz history books.
not as obscure as others but still unsung enough.

I remember seeing the grateful dead and he got up and jammed
with them. He also did a whole albums worth of grateful dead's
music.

very open minded guy creative guy, the total opposite of wynton.

• Members

Originally posted by frankn

David Murray is giant musician.

I think he usualy gets a place after

orrnete colemen in the jazz history books.

I saw this post coming from miles away.

First of all, I'm writing a jazz history book, and have read an awful lot of them in preparation, and you're wrong. He gets short shrift -- usually a paragraph about WSQ at the end of the book.

Secondly, and more importantly, both "underrated" and "obscure" are going to be in implied quotation marks for the duration of this series. Aficianados need not argue on the relative obscurities of my selections -- I'm gonna go for the general HCFX audience, who know Miles, Monk and a bunch of guitarists. If you want to, pleasepleaseplease start your own "obscure jazz guys" threads!!! I am perpetually hungry for new discoveries!

• Members

have you heard all the early hemphill records? dogon AD, coon bidness (aka reflections), flat out jump suite, raw materials and residuals, blue boye...badass stuff.
also, the aforementioned oliver lake 70's/80's records - heavy spirits, holding together, NTU....
i'm from st. louis, so i have a BAG fixation.

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

have you heard all the early hemphill records? dogon AD, coon bidness (aka reflections), flat out jump suite, raw materials and residuals, blue boye...badass stuff.

also, the aforementioned oliver lake 70's/80's records - heavy spirits, holding together, NTU....

i'm from st. louis, so i have a BAG fixation.

I LOVE that crap! Arthur Blythe, too -- all of those St. Louis guys are fantastic.

Do you know Five Chord Stud? The Hemphill album that he made when he was too sick to play? A lot of folks I've spoken to have stayed away from it because Hemphill doesn't play on it, but damn if he wasn't still an amazing composer/arranger. One of my faves.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

First of all, I'm writing a jazz history book, and have read an awful lot of them in preparation, and you're wrong. He gets short shrift -- usually a paragraph about WSQ at the end of the book.

Secondly, and more importantly, both "underrated" and "obscure" are going to be in implied quotation marks for the duration of this series. Aficianados need not argue on the relative obscurities of my selections -- I'm gonna go for the general HCFX audience, who know Miles, Monk and a bunch of guitarists. If you want to, pleasepleaseplease start your own "obscure jazz guys" threads!!! I am perpetually hungry for new discoveries!

I called him giant in the sense that he is a great musician.

I didn't mean to imply that the books give him a whole chapter.

so I agree with you here that he does only get a blurb in the books so no argument on his obscurity.

• Members

hmmm, being obscure and underrated is, well, overrated.

it is an odd quirk of online fora that obscurantism is so venerated. it's not only that being into an artist or piece of equipment that is not well known by the masses is taken as a badge of credibility, but that flaunting such knowledge in order to create debates about exactly how obscure the said artist or gear is becomes not only acceptable, but worthwhile. the problem is that no matter how well intentioned the debate might be, it always comes off reading like juvenile posturing.

as a jazz musician and a jazz fan I love the idea of and evangelism for the genre. let's highlight artists, albums, trends, whatever. let's share knowledge, clips, performance stories and so on. let's build a community of jazz that is attractive to people who are curious about and interested in knowing more about jazz.

but let's not buy into the jejune game of obscurantism, which always carries with it the stench of a dying genre. if the music is good, let it speak for itself.

as for Murray, he is a killer player and was very well known in the late 80s and early 90s (i'm pretty sure he featured a number of times in downbeat, for example). these days he best known for his work with the WSQ, sure, but for some, that is the path back into his large back catalogue.

• Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

both "underrated" and "obscure" are going to be in implied quotation marks for the duration of this series. Aficianados need not argue on the relative obscurities of my selections -- I'm gonna go for the general HCFX audience, who know Miles, Monk and a bunch of guitarists. If you want to, pleasepleaseplease start your own "obscure jazz guys" threads!!! I am perpetually hungry for new discoveries!

I hate to repeat myself. :mad:

Which, fern, also means that far more damage is done to the reputation of jazz by the stereotypical jazz snob that is proud of his (it's always a him) training and knowledge and thereby condescends to everyone else at the party who wants to discuss jazz (ever met Ira Gitler? Never wanted to spit on someone so badly in my life!)... I'm rambling, and tired. Far more damage is done by that guy than by someone enthusiastic to share new music with people who might use one or two trigger words to get attention. Dig?

• Members

hmmm, being obscure and underrated is, well, overrated.

it is an odd quirk of online fora that obscurantism is so venerated. it's not only that being into an artist or piece of equipment that is not well known by the masses is taken as a badge of credibility, but that flaunting such knowledge in order to create debates about exactly how obscure the said artist or gear is becomes not only acceptable, but worthwhile. the problem is that no matter how well intentioned the debate might be, it always comes off reading like juvenile posturing.

as a jazz musician and a jazz fan I love the idea of and evangelism for the genre. let's highlight artists, albums, trends, whatever. let's share knowledge, clips, performance stories and so on. let's build a community of jazz that is attractive to people who are curious about and interested in knowing more about jazz.

but let's not buy into the jejune game of obscurantism, which always carries with it the stench of a dying genre. if the music is good, let it speak for itself.

as for Murray, he is a killer player and was very well known in the late 80s and early 90s (i'm pretty sure he featured a number of times in downbeat, for example). these days he best known for his work with the WSQ, sure, but for some, that is the path back into his large back catalogue.

Sorry for re-posting this, but it is frustrating when a comment gets stuck on the end of a page.

Archived