who uses a clean amp/dirty amp setup?

Elliott Damage

• Members

I assume you mean running both at the same time?

I havent' done it live, but I have done it at pretty decent volume in my bedroom. For certain sounds it definately makes a difference, fills things out. It can add quite abit of clarity to overdriven tones. That's sorta the principal of the Sparkle Drive pedal.

One interesting thing to do is not run one totally clean... do it with a OD, and the other with more of a distortion, because sometimes a pure clean sounds kinda odd juxtaposted to certain distortions.

Things get even cooler (and more massive sounding) when you throw in modulation or delay effects on one of those two signals.

• Members

I've been thinking about getting a good dirt amp to run AB with my Blues Jr., I really like the dirty sound of the 1x12 Crate VC3112, or something similar. I just really don't have the need now because I'm not currently in a band and don't need two amps taking up space in my apartment.

I would say if you find a great clean amp you love and an amp with a great distortion you love go for it. I almost brought my old Fender Champion back from my parents house to run the echo out of my DMM and see how it went, but I can't imagine that thing sounding very good next to my tube amp.

• Members

Here's an older setup I used to run.

THD-BognerMedium.jpg

It was more a wet-dry setup vs. a A-B setup. I had the Univalve in the loop of a TIM and used the TIM strictly as a preamp, boost, and volume control for the Univalve. Whenever I engaged the TIM, it would send a signal to the Univalve which was setup dirty with an EL34. The output of the Uni went to the Bogner cab and the line out of the Uni went back to the return of the TIM loop. The signal then went through my time based effects which was my chorus, delay, and reverb.

pb3topMedium.jpg

This signal went back to the Bivalve which was set up clean with 2-6L6s. The output went into a 2-10 open back cab.

BobBurt210CabBack.jpgBobBurt210CabFront.jpg

So if the TIM wasn't engaged, the signal went through the effects, and then to my clean amp with the 2-10 open back cab.

If I engaged the TIM, my signal went to the Uni which a dry dirty signal was output into the 1-12 ported cab. Then the line out went back to my time based effects which went into the Bivalve and output the "wet" signal.

Hope this makes any sense...

• Members

Originally posted by SoulSerenade

Here's an older setup I used to run.

THD-BognerMedium.jpg

It was more a wet-dry setup vs. a A-B setup. I had the Univalve in the loop of a TIM and used the TIM strictly as a preamp, boost, and volume control for the Univalve. Whenever I engaged the TIM, it would send a signal to the Univalve which was setup dirty with an EL34. The output of the Uni went to the Bogner cab and the line out of the Uni went back to the return of the TIM loop. The signal then went through my time based effects which was my chorus, delay, and reverb.

pb3topMedium.jpg

This signal went back to the Bivalve which was set up clean with 2-6L6s. The output went into a 2-10 open back cab.

BobBurt210CabBack.jpgBobBurt210CabFront.jpg

So if the TIM wasn't engaged, the signal went through the effects, and then to my clean amp with the 2-10 open back cab.

If I engaged the TIM, my signal went to the Uni which a dry dirty signal was output into the 1-12 ported cab. Then the line out went back to my time based effects which went into the Bivalve and output the "wet" signal.

Hope this makes any sense...

it makes sense. sweet setup for sure.

Archived