what is going on with the zoom ultra fuzz and the guitar pot controlling pitch effect

hangwire

• Members

do any other pedals do that besides the ultra fuzz? why does it do that? can that single part be built into a pedal... and if so, how? it appears to be a byproduct of a distortion circuit... so if I built a shi-en fuzz... what do I have to do to also get that oscillation guiutar pot control?

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

do any other pedals do that besides the ultra fuzz? why does it do that? can that single part be built into a pedal... and if so, how? it appears to be a byproduct of a distortion circuit... so if I built a shi-en fuzz... what do I have to do to also get that oscillation guiutar pot control?

Fuzz Factory will do that too.

i really don't know the technical aspects of it, but it just seems to be a level gate.

• Members

Having cracked open a UF, there's a lot of stuff in there for what it does.

As for making the volume control into a oscillator pitch control, it's not too difficult. The key is to make a circuit that's unstable (the result is oscillation). Usually, simple amounts of gain and positive feedback will do the trick. The pitch of the oscillation is the result of a interaction of resistances (and probably impedances) and capacitances. One of those resistances to factor in is the variable resistance-to-ground used in the average guitar volume control. As it changes, it varies the resonant point of all the other combined factors, resulting in changed pitch.

Archived