Top Fuel and ICBM Clip <:><:><:><:>

The Gainster

• Members

Man!

I really like the sound of both...

But I Like the sound of the second a little better. A little more Articulate and open sounding but without loosing the "Muff" Feel and vibe. But I would be very very very happy with either.
Just my .02

• Members

Thanks, Gainster! Take your time on the tourbox. Relax, and I'll give you another week or however long you need to play. (my bet is that you'll really dig the Screw Driver a lot)

To all those interested in a head-to-head between the Top Fuel and the ICBM: you can no doubt hear that they are different animals. In order to get a similar sort of vibe from the Top Fuel as the ICBM, you'd probably want to crank the TF's sustain and dial down the tone knob most if not all of the way. The number of changes made to the TF design really takes it a good distance away from the classic Big Muff feel in favor of more high end and midrange. What's interesting is that the ICBM, schematically speaking, is very unlike the classic Big Muff design, too, and yet it does sound like a Big Muff, only more articulate I think than the 4-transistor versions.

Rather than a strict comparison between these two pedals, they really need to be looked at individually. We've already heard The Gainster do a pretty convincing Gilmour sound with the ICBM, and I think the same could be done with the Top Fuel--it would just be set up a lot differently to get the same type of effect. Where the Top Fuel diverges from the Big Muff family is in its tightness and retention of the original guitar's high frequency content.

I would like some feedback when you have time, Gainster, whether or not you feel the Top Fuel needs a bit more low end? I'm sure you've noticed that the tone stack is radically different from a BMP tone stack, in that it never eliminates the midrange no matter where you set it; it just either cuts highs or lows. I tried to retain the frequencies that I consistently hear in Gilmour's sound, and that required a mid hump (the opposite of the traditional BMP tone). Any changes you'd like, though???

Also, as a more-or-less Gilmour-inspired effect, it will probably sound more at home through a clean amp. (I'm just saying)

Thanks again! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

The TF is louder by far....The ICBM is darker by far...really bolts and screws. Not the same.

Yeah; some will say that's cool, but me; I'd like to make the Top Fuel a bit less LOUD. I'm planning to revise the circuit to get a more reasonable volume level. It seems that unity gain right now is somewhere in the 8:00 o'clock region. Most folks assume unity will be found somewhere in the 12:00 o'clock zone. I tried a trick to reduce the overall output impedance to

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

Yeah; some will say that's cool, but me; I'd like to make the Top Fuel a bit less LOUD. I'm planning to revise the circuit to get a more reasonable volume level. It seems that unity gain right now is somewhere in the 8:00 o'clock region. Most folks assume unity will be found somewhere in the 12:00 o'clock zone. I tried a trick to reduce the overall output impedance to

Yeah thats true. I have my tone knob pretty much maxed on the TF. Thats with a tele too. I find that it just a BMP just wont cut through, and will almost 'sub' at times when it feedsback.

I've noticed with my TF, that if I keep my doobtone ds-1 on infront of the TF, it will not boost the volume as high. So in a way it saves me a bit of tap-dancing.

• Members

I want a Hiwatt...
:cry:
:)
But my old Traynor Mark 3 is awesome.
:love:

phenomenal amp. Its just so crisp and clear. Even at high gain settings. It makes gain pedals come alive.

Traynors are great too. Good canadian product.

• Members

It seems that unity gain right now is somewhere in the 8:00 o'clock region. Most folks assume unity will be found somewhere in the 12:00 o'clock zone. I tried a trick to reduce the overall output impedance to

Nice-sounding pedal, skr3d. I must admit that halfway through the Top Fuel part of the clip I was clenched up worrying how the ICBM would come across. But they actually do sound different enough from each other that owning both seems like the best plan for every guitarist. :-)

Yeah, there is that expectation of 12:00=unity, and I do respect it.

You can't just pad the output down with a voltage divider? Or would that mess up the output impedance?

P.S. Ever make it over to Alameda?

• Members
Originally posted by Euthymia

Nice-sounding pedal, skr3d. I must admit that halfway through the Top Fuel part of the clip I was clenched up worrying how the ICBM would come across. But they actually do sound different enough from each other that owning both seems like the best plan for every guitarist. :-)

Yeah, there is that expectation of 12:00=unity, and I do respect it.

You can't just pad the output down with a voltage divider? Or would that mess up the output impedance?

P.S. Ever make it over to Alameda?

Yeah; I'll just be changing the voltage divider from the output of Q4 (which, right now is at 100% hot and is not even a divider per se)

Hey; wanna trade? :idea:

Is Alameda near Oakland? Going to the Foo Fighers/Weezer show???

• Members

Yeah; I'll just be changing the voltage divider from the output of Q4 (which, right now is at 100% hot and is not even a divider per se)

Hey; wanna trade?
:idea:

If I may suggest something.....and ONLY a suggestion:

Vol...Tone...Gain

I kept grabbing the wrong control...I know it doesn't make a difference in sound just on the fly changes.

:wave::love::idea::thu::evil::freak::cry::bor:

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

If I may suggest something.....and ONLY a suggestion:

Vol...Tone...Gain

I kept grabbing the wrong control...I know it doesn't make a difference in sound just on the fly changes.

Sure. I need to work out a new layout for the TF anyway to accomodate the extra components.

• Members

Hey; wanna trade?
:idea:

Come visit and bring one over!

Alameda is right next to Oakland, across a channel. Island in the Bay.

I'm close enough to the Coliseum that when the wind is right I can hear the announcer at A's postseason games (they are louder due to larger and yellier crowds).

Won't be seeing Weezer or Foo Fighters; are they playing at the Coliseum Arena or Kaiser Auditorium?

I stay away from anything larger than club shows....heh, maybe at some point I can start going backstage with a sack of pedals and demoing the touring bands.

Or something.

• Members

Man I can't wait until my ICBM arrives - should be a couple more days.

No knock on skr3ddy, but the ICBM sounds like the perfect match tonally for my style. I love the way there is so much low mid compression that it just falls apart weeping and then sings on. This will be great for a really moody expressive October howl.

Archived