where's the David Stern/NBA dress code outrage thread?

• Members

Yes, Stern is an idiot. Maybe shades of racism, but really more of a cultural issue, there is a diffrence.

But at the end of the day, lots of jobs have dress codes. These are really really well paying jobs, that have dress codes. These guys could quite at any time, most of them have some college, lots of them have degrees, I'm sure they could find work elsewhere, it just won't pay nearly as well. For NBA minimum salary, you woudl be hard pressed to ding too many people not willing to follow such a simple dress code, and most wear just about any damn thing you asked them.

• Members

Originally posted by Backstepper

Yes, Stern is an idiot. Maybe shades of racism, but really more of a cultural issue, there is a diffrence.

But at the end of the day, lots of jobs have dress codes. These are really really well paying jobs, that have dress codes. These guys could quite at any time, most of them have some college, lots of them have degrees, I'm sure they could find work elsewhere, it just won't pay nearly as well. For NBA minimum salary, you woudl be hard pressed to ding too many people not willing to follow such a simple dress code, and most wear just about any damn thing you asked them.

good points, paul, but i see it as Stern trying to extend his control beyond the job. there are already rules governing how players have to dress on the court and on the bench, but this seems like a misguided attempt to legislate how they dress "when on team business," which is nebulous at best.

in any case, this was a public relations cluster{censored} of the highest order, and an all-around dumb idea. i don't know exactly what he had hoped to gain, but whatever it was, it certainly isn't worth the PR hit he's taken already.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

i don't know exactly what he had hoped to gain, but whatever it was, it certainly isn't worth the PR hit he's taken already.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to improve the NBA's current image from that of a gang of overgrown/overpaid illiterate thugs to a group of highly talented professionals. The NBA took a lot of hits last year with all the fights and off-court shenanigans, so it seems like Stern is trying to improve the players' (and subsequently the game's) image. IMO, it's the same as the NHL's attempt to limit fighting.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Twang

I'm pretty sure he's trying to improve the NBA's current image from that of a gang of overgrown/overpaid illiterate thugs to a group of highly talented professionals. The NBA took a lot of hits last year with all the fights and off-court shenanigans, so it seems like Stern is trying to improve the players' (and subsequently the game's) image. IMO, it's the same as the NHL's attempt to limit fighting.

makes sense. if this new rule *does* succeed in having that effect, well, then i guess it will have been worth it. i remain skeptical that it will work, tho.

• Members

bah - come on man - the news is chock full of athlete incidents, basketball players never did anything any members of other sports weren't accused of.

football players

hockey players

whatever - they all get busy and party and {censored} up and fight and whatever - i think this guy's overstepping his bounds of control.

exact harsher penalties for misbehaving players, i'm all for that - but this announcement seems sorta backhanded.

• Members

makes sense. if this new rule *does* succeed in having that effect, well, then i guess it will have been worth it. i remain skeptical that it will work, tho.

I don't see how it can hurt. It will only serve to allow the general public to see these folks in a better light. I know there's a subtle racism to it, but in a lot of ways perception is reality, especially when you're talking about folks in the entertainment or sports industry.

Still, if a dude absolutely needs to wear huge gold chains and whatnot, there are always off days and the offseason, right. Is it really cramping anyone's style to have a dresscode? Most professional athletes are already a bunch of spoiled babies, so why should they get an another free pass from society?

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

bah - come on man - the news is chock full of athlete incidents, basketball players never did anything any members of other sports weren't accused of.

football players

hockey players

whatever - they all get busy and party and {censored} up and fight and whatever - i think this guy's overstepping his bounds of control.

exact harsher penalties for misbehaving players, i'm all for that - but this announcement seems sorta backhanded.

Absolutely, but most MLB teams and a few NFL teams have dresscodes too. Heck, players on the NY Yankees aren't even allowed to have facial hair or long hair and always have to wear a suit on roadtrips. It's nothing new.

• Members

Absolutely, but most MLB teams and a few NFL teams have dresscodes too. Heck, players on the NY Yankees aren't even allowed to have facial hair or long hair and always have to wear a suit on roadtrips. It's nothing new.

That seals it. I'm chasing down Steve Nash with a Flowbee.

• Members

its quite common in soccer too.

the only thing is with the basketball dudes is they look {censored} in suits. they always pick the worst suits going, and end up looking like pimps or teenagers at a wedding.

• Members

That was my take on it. It's basically the "Allen Iverson/Ron Artest rule."

I don't think Stern is any more or less relatively racist then me or any other white guy in America. He is waaaay to sharp to do something like this motivated by race. The man is strictly bidness. Always has been. And he's good. What the NBA players association needs to do is get smart and hire Biggie Smalls, Puff Daddy or some other mogul who is Stern's equal when it comes to bidness and negotiating. Because they are overmatched. The bidness reality is guys like Magic and Michael made things good for EVERYONE. The players association and by extension the players agreed to this dress code during collective bargaining. If Iverson or Jackson or anyone else making 30 mil a year wants to bitch about it they need to take a page out of the George Clinton playbook. "{censored}! Goddamn! Get Off Your Ass and Get Involved!" But believe me. If wearing ten pounds of gold, a do rag, and no shirt were good for bidness Stern wouldn't give a rats ass about what anybody in the NBA wore. There may be cultural, socital, racist implications, etc aplenty in that but Stern is really about the bottom line.

In the final anaylsis there is definitly a side to me that feels "You make 15 mil a year. Shut up and wear the {censored}in' suit." Although i gotta admit. Spree's rationale for needing 14 mil a year as opposed to 9 mil was pretty hysterical. (I gotta put food on the table for my family!)

• Members

good points, paul, but i see it as Stern trying to extend his control
beyond
the job. there are already rules governing how players have to dress on the court and on the bench, but this seems like a misguided attempt to legislate how they dress "when on team business," which is nebulous at best.

in any case, this was a public relations cluster{censored} of the highest order, and an all-around dumb idea. i don't know exactly what he had hoped to gain, but whatever it was, it certainly isn't worth the PR hit he's taken already.

Realisticly though, given the nature of celebrity, an NBA player is always "on the job" to some degree or another. If Ron Artest gets a speeding ticket, the papers aren't going yo say "r. Artest of the 1400 block of Cupcake Lane got a speeding ticket" It will be "Basketball Bad Boy Ron Artest cited For being Manic Moterist" It sucks that it is that way, the media gets way too deep into the players bidnezz, but thats the way its. And the reality of it is, there is a lot of interviewing and video shot of thse guys coming and going from the arena's, they are likely to be even more "on the job" in the parking garage than most other places.

I also think that the PR blitz was not one of the goals of this thing. Here we are, running up to the World Series, deep into football season, while NASCAR is chasing the cup, maybe David Stern welcomes a chance to scream "hey hey, Basketball, everybody look over here at Basketball" Maybe they wound up with wome sort of gain from all of last years "bad" PR over the Detroit brawl, and have decided that "bad" PR is better than no PR. Or maybe Stern just wants everybody to look at him, damn the NBA, look at David Stern he's a whacky guy. Never underestimate the power of ego.

I actually am looking forward to seeing how far the players will push the code. You remeber how kids reacted in school to even rumors of dress codes. Here we have bigger kids, with deep pockets, coudl be fun....

• Members

Originally posted by Backstepper

Here we are, running up to the World Series, deep into football season, while NASCAR is chasing the cup, maybe David Stern welcomes a chance to scream "hey hey, Basketball, everybody look over here at Basketball" Maybe they wound up with wome sort of gain from all of last years "bad" PR over the Detroit brawl, and have decided that "bad" PR is better than no PR.

REALLY good point. :thu:

Archived