Shipping Internationally : Commercial Sample or Gift

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can someone clear me up on the USPS postal regulations for shipping internationally?

I have made it the policy to ship my direct sales internationally via Express mail, and fully insured (which means declaring their full value), because I hate dealing with lost mail and no way to track it.

Anyhow... I've gotten in the habit of checking "Commercial Sample" on the customs form... because... well frankly, it's the only description that makes sense to me.

Recently a customer suggested that I send them as "Gift" to avoid them having to pay taxes or duties or what-nots.

The only problem I have with doing that is I ship a LOT of products internationally, and the last thing I want is to get in bad with the Feds for any kind of mail fraud or what-nots, ya know?

I've tried googling information on the subject before, but I've never been able to find a good, simple, answer to the question... so I thought I might pick at the collective consiousness of the forum. :')

devi-

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Merkin

What does your moral compass tell you Devi ?

lol.. I thought I made it pretty clear what my moral compass tells me.

Let me make it more clear for you :

I want to do what's legal, and if it's legal to mark it as "Gift" to save my customer's money, then I would love to know that I can do that, but until then "Commercial Sample" seems more appropriate, though at the same time doesn't really describe what I'm shipping either... ya know?

What exactly is a Commercial Sample anyhow?

devi-

• Members

Do you put a copy of the invoice in the box? If you do and it gets opened at customs, they are going to see an invoice and a check mark that says gift or sample and the two aren't going to add up. I often go the gift route but make sure no invoice is included and mark the value down to $50. If I was a business owner, I would never consider doing such a thing.

• Members

Commercial sample would usually be if you sent one to a guitar magazine for them to test and report on. Also if you were to call Analog Devices and ask to try some ICs, those would be commercial samples (as I have used the term in shipping).

Guest Anonymous

Fernmeister : Because "Commercial Sample" is the one that makes the most sense of my options to check off. Clear now?

Sir HC : That's what I was thinking too...

dot : lol... I never thought about just not checking any box at all...

- - -

... and I'm surprised no one's mentioned the obvious. I totally forgot there is a little box that you can check that says "Other" along with a space for a description.

So... there's the solution.

I just get so used to mindlessly checking boxes I wasn't really paying attention.

Anyhow... thanks for the brain rattling.

devi-

• Members

Check neither box and then write down the items value. That is the legal and honest thing to do.

Anyone buying internationally understands that there are various fees for customs and importing that have to be dealt with. It's part of the cost of buying internationally.

• Members

Originally posted by atrainlp

I'm probably a little late putting an opinion in here but I ship a lot internationally too and always use the "other" box and just put in "merchandise" or "used goods" and have never had a problem in 2 years.

I believe that the "other" box is for items returned for repair (on which no duty should be charged) and suchlike - normal commercial shipments should leave all the boxes unchecked.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by atrainlp

I'm probably a little late putting an opinion in here but I ship a lot internationally too and always use the "other" box and just put in "merchandise" or "used goods" and have never had a problem in 2 years.

Kewl. Sounds like the right way to go. I'd definitely feel better about checking Other and writing "merchandise" than nothing at all.

It's really amazing how hard it is to find info on this through Google and the USPS website... very vague what I have been able to find.

devi-

• Members

I live in the Netherlands and I often order pedals from the United States and I can assure you that if dealers didn't check the 'gift' or 'other' checkboxes on the CN22 customs declaration form, or didn't specify a lower value it would be a very, very expensive adventure due to the massive amount of duty fees and taxes we have to pay. I mean, I know it's cheating the system which has its rules and whe're supposed to observe them but without this 'cheating' a lot of people would not be able to afford anything. You wouldn't beleive what I had to pay the last time I got a parcel from Analog man opened up by customs after they did their black magic on the amount specified on the enclosed invoice :(

• Members

I'm in canada.

When I get things shipped from the US I ask them to mark it as a gift in an attempt to minimize customs.. If it's ordered from an online store I don't bother (or expect them to) as it's obviously packaged with an invoice and stuff.

If you're shipping tons of stuff out I woudn't mark it as a gift...that trick I suspect would only work for individuals who ship things that look evidently like they could be gifts.

Maybe wrap the package in giftwrap first :confused::):p

• Members

What; is the Netherlands {censored}ing customs office gonna come after me???

{censored} them. {censored} the government. {censored} taxes. {censored} customs. Cheat those thieving bastards any way you can. {censored} them; they didn't earn that money! The customer already paid me for it, and the postal services already got paid to deliver it. Customs can suck my ass.

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

What; is the Netherlands {censored}ing customs office gonna come after me???

{censored} them. {censored} the government. {censored} taxes. {censored} customs. Cheat those theiving bastards any way you can. {censored} them; they didn't earn that money! The customer already paid me for it, and the postal services already got paid to deliver it. Customs can suck my ass.

I had to pay 8 pounds when I picked up the Top fuel! tee hee.

• Members

Just another thought.....

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - I've shipped different items internationally for a couple years with no issues. Recently though I had 2 items "disappear" with the USPS Global Express service. I don't know what the story was (an actual mistake, a thieving postal worker here or abroad or what) but the result was the same - a lot item and a lot of frustration. On one item I got jacked for $500 (a Paypal issue) and on the other the buyer lost over $1000 because of an insurance technicality.

On to my point - knowing that there are a lot of dishonest people around I've started to think more along the lines that it may be to everyone's benefit (except the recipients government) to put a lower value on something. Putting a $1000 value on something seems like a red flag saying "STEAL ME!!!!!" One of the items I shipped that was "lost" was a guitar sent to Italy. The USPS wouldn't pay the insurance claim because under the "restricted items" list for Italy is "Bells and other musical parts."

I'm all for ethics, etc. but after seeing close to $2000 worth of stuff disappear I'm having a little bit different attitude as to what being ethical with international shipping means.

Just some random thoughts...........

Archived