Has anyone here seen Marshall Crenshaw live?

• Members

I just noticed that Marshall Crenshaw is playing here tonight. Tonight's going to be one of those VERY rare nights where I have neither a wife nor a child, as they each have other appointments to keep. So I had figured I would actually get some recording done at home. So, if you've seen him live, either talk me into staying home and pretending to be Brian Wilson or going out on the town and seeing Marshall.

• Members

Originally posted by exploradorable

Was Marshall Crawdead's big hit "Someday. Someway." ????

Yep. I first got into him when I was ten or eleven when he played Buddy Holly in La Bamba and appeared on this killer Buddy Holly tribute concert which my dad still has on video (John Fogerty, Brian Setzer, Joe Ely, Crenshaw, Carl Perkins, etc. all played on it, and Kris Kristoferson was the host).

• Members

Man, I'd go check him out. When I think of the tons of shows I've seen his is one that comes into mind. I saw him in the late 80's at the Park West in Chicago. His brother was on drums. I remember he had this cluster of amps (VOX AC-30's and a couple of Fender's). He blew me away with his guitar playing. Not so much his soloing, which there was very little, but more his overall command of the axe. He would never play the same chord twice. Each pass through a verse he would play inversions of the previous chord pass. The guy was all over the neck chordally all will singing like a bird. Truely impressive. When people ask me what guy blew you away that you didn't expect and that show of Marshall's always comes to mind.

What was also cool is that most of his "solos" were based within chordal movement. So even though it was a trio the music always sounded full.

Not many know he got his start on Broadway. He played the part of John Lennon in the original "Beatlemania"

I can truely say, go check him out.

Archived