anyone used a Zoom PS-02 palm recorder... pros/cons?

hangwire

• Members

I saw one for $100 with manual and adapter... I could trade my current Tascam porta02mkII for it...

anyone used it?

I would need it for recording on location or from my mixer amp's line out in a small scratch jam... to then be dumped to my computer recording software... the store clerk mentioned it only gets about 2 minutes on good resolution though... it has a skinny little card, but the clerk said the recording "software" was on it, so it needed that card...

:confused:

I could use any info... thanks...

• Members

I noticed that they still sell SMart Media cards... and they have a 128MB one for like $16 at amazon

they look the same from pics as the PS-02 one... very thin and wide...

is it true that I need to keep the stock memory card because it has the program on it... or can I just get the 128MB and have like 30+minutes of record time?

follow up... do they have readers that take the smart media card info direct to the computer? like a usb port thing?

• Members

Hey!

Yep, just a standard Smart Media card. The newer models take up to 128 mb cards, the older ones up to 64 mb. I didn't have much time to experiment with that thing yet, so I've only slaved it into the computer to record there. But you can use those cards. I guess either you copy the boot information on it or maybe the boot disk is only a backup.

Look at this board, very good information, software etc. over there:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=2

cheers

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

did you need to do anything special to get it to work? rebot files or anything? or just pop it in an go?

If I remember correctly all I did was format the 128 mb card as described pn page 75 of the manual.

1) Start with stock card

2) Once it is on, remove the card

3) Insert new card

4) The sign "FORMAT?" will apear.

5) Press STORE(execute) button

6) The "FMTING" will show until the formatting is complete.

Thats it. Now one can use the new card for all purposes and keep the stock as a backup.

Also post in the above PS-02 forum.

I remember some mention of earlier models not being able to read 128MB cards.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaggery

I have a Ps-02 and use a 128 mb card.

Works fine.

Beware! The older ones can NOT read 128 mb SM cards. So is my PS-02.... :mad:

As for the 04 vs. 02 thingy: There are some major differences that make both units better for certain aspects. I believe the 04 is better for recording, the 02 better for practise.. better check that :)

There are multiple threads covering that on the board I posted above. That is also the BEST source of information you will find on the web for your PS-02/04!

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

I can't post on that forum because my email can't be registered... so I can't ask this question... but can you convert an "older" PS-2 to new specs so it can take a 128 card via a computer upgrade?

No, unfortunately not... Here is a statement from Zoom I copied from that board:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

First of all, please accept our apologies.

We regret to say that it is impossible to update previous version to

128MB usable version.

When we released the unit, 128 MB card is not in the market.

So we suppose that we can upgrade the version to support 128 MB card.

Because we thought that we only have to re-write the program of

"SYSTEM.SYS" in Smart media card.

But when we get the 128 MB card and try to use it, we realized need to

re-write the program in mask ROM area.

That means need to exchange the whole of circuit board because mask ROM

is not re-writable.

However, the exchange of the circuit board is too much cost.

It is almost the same as the price of currently shipped PS-02.

So we cannot upgrade it. Please be kind to understand it.

Best regards,

ZOOM corporation.

Customer Support Dept."

• Members

Originally posted by Metal-Militia

No, unfortunately not... Here is a statement from Zoom I copied from that board:

"Dear Sir,

128MB usable version.

is not re-writable.

Best regards,

ZOOM corporation.

Customer Support Dept."

so what do you use to tell the differences of 128 and non-128 units? modle number, a serial over a certain number? anything???

• Members

Originally posted by Metal-Militia

"Dear Sir,

128MB usable version.

is not re-writable.

Best regards,

ZOOM corporation.

Customer Support Dept."

heh, that's quite funny.

• Members

There seem to be different statements/opinions to this. I'll try to sum it up:

1) any unit with a SN of 151XX and above is 128MB capable

2) units with a yellow sticker "128mb capable" on it do so

3) occasionally, people have used a 128 card and it has worked, but it seems to be a hit or miss propostition

It seems the first two points are the ones to believe

Just found this statement from Zoom:

Quoted quote:

"Current PS-02, that we are manufacturing and shipping, can support 128 MB SmartMedia. However, it depends on the distributor when this version will be available in your market. You can find sticker as like "128 MB USABLE" on the carton box (Serial No. 15451 or later in US), if it is available. Please note that it is impossible to update previous version to current one."

I hope I didn't confuse you too much :)

• Members

Hangwire, I agree to get the ps04, even though I haven't played either (I have the simular KORG PANDORA PXR4)

Here's my case for you......

1. GET PS04!

You might get a good deal from a retailer eager to get rid of them.

My local sam ash (la, california) offered to sell at 180 plus tax, so call around (lots of online stores with no shipping fees) see if you can get a better price.

2. SMART MEDIA CARDS ON SALE AT OFFICE MAX

(call 1st - may just be west coast deal)

Whether you go with ps02 or ps04- You're gonna need a bigger card, even if you have a laptop closer by. Luckily for you 128 MEGABYTE LEXAR SMART MEDIA cards are on sale at OFFICE MAX for 16 bucks each (item number- 20189056---reg $50!)- only till this Saturday so run out and get at least one.

3. ZOOM ISN'T MAKING AN UPDATE TO PS04 ANYTIME SOON

(though the much more expensive Korg will-eventually)

This was my biggest concern when I was shopping researching PS-04's. I ended up buying a used KORG Pandora PXR4 for 90 bucks (Pandora pxr4 = more $ than ZOOM but with less LESS guitar / drum effects/"ghost tracks"). Even though the technology is old 32 khz compressed recording is still ok/decent (mine sounds lil' better than my old tacsam 424 with shure sm58) and whenever KORG does finally update it's recorder it'll still probably be 300/400 bucks-but DON'T QUOTE ME...

4. MY NOTE FROM ZOOM:

Before I bought my PXR4 I emailed both KORG and ZOOM asking them if they are gonna update soon, (and if they do PLEASE make the recorders 44 khz or higher/Uncompressed WAV format files and COMPACT FLASH Storage that goes up to 6 gigs!)

No response from KORG (cuz they're obviously bastards) but ZOOM WROTE BACK!!:thu:

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we are not planning to update the PS-04 at this time.

We will forward your email to our R & D team to draw upon your request.

If you would, please check the MRS-8 ( 8 track SD card recorder).

The features of MRS-8 can be referred from PRODUCT page on our website (www.zoom.co.jp).

We hope that you will find it helpful.

Best regards,

ZOOM Corporation

---------------------------------------------------

So there you go- hope this helps:bor:

• Members

Thanks a lot for posting that catgut. I recently bought a PS-04, and had been holding back wondering if a compact flash based version with usb was right around the corner. I'm glad I got it, but being limited to 128 megs on an obsolete card is a downer.

The PS-04 is a toy, no doubt, but it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's really amazing what they've packed into that little box. I'm not sure if the PS-02 has a microphone, but if not then the PS-04's is worth the $50 upgrade alone.

• Members

StevenF said:

"Thanks a lot for posting that catgut. I recently bought a PS-04"

Congrats, I'm glad I could help. I'm actually jealous, my korg doesn't have a programmable drum machine, just pre-programed beats and tempos. Oh well.

BUT THERE IS A FLASH RECORDER

(not multitrack andway 2 expensive):

"M-Audio

MicroTrack 24/96 2-Channel Digital CompactFlash Recorder

(MMICROTRK)"

It's a flash/uncompressed wav format/usb recorder. But 400 bucks and it doesn't overdub?- F**k that! Might as well buy a cheaper recordable mp3 player.

I love these mini-multitrackers. I recently went to gutar center with my Korg in my pants pocket! I recorded all their dobros then went home and listened to them all to see if I wanted a wood body or brass body. Even on the "economy" setting with the bult -in mic; I had a nice recording of the diff models and brands. Even if the technology is way old (my korg came out 8/2001!) they are invaluable.

• Members

Originally posted by catgut

StevenF said:

"Thanks a lot for posting that catgut. I recently bought a PS-04"

Congrats, I'm glad I could help. I'm actually jealous, my korg doesn't have a programmable drum machine, just pre-programed beats and tempos. Oh well.

BUT THERE IS A FLASH RECORDER

(not multitrack andway 2 expensive):

"M-Audio

MicroTrack 24/96 2-Channel Digital CompactFlash Recorder

(MMICROTRK)"

It's a flash/uncompressed wav format/usb recorder. But 400 bucks and it doesn't overdub?- F**k that! Might as well buy a cheaper recordable mp3 player.

I love these mini-multitrackers. I recently went to gutar center with my Korg in my pants pocket! I recorded all their dobros then went home and listened to them all to see if I wanted a wood body or brass body. Even on the "economy" setting with the bult -in mic; I had a nice recording of the diff models and brands. Even if the technology is way old (my korg came out 8/2001!) they are invaluable.

what korg are you talking about?

teh loal shop has teh ps-02 for a good price... but teh serial number was 014789 or something/// :(

• Members

Read my first post- on page 1. Read my #1 point and take heed. I understand you want to research before purchasing but your numerious threads are getting kinda crazy. Get the zoom (preferbly the "04")- the korg is overpriced!

Supposedly Korg is gonna update, "Any day now" but their last updated recorder was still the same compressed file size and it used secure digital cards (not flash, if I'm correct) which are getting as old as the smart media.

• Members

Yeah I love the mini-recorders too. I'm so happy sitting on my couch with my guitar cranking out three chord four track wonders.

Tascam had a flash recorder that looked very cool. I see them on ebay now and again:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/PocketStudio5.html

Hangwire, go ahead and buy the thing. But if you like it you'll wish you'd gotten the ps-04.

That Korg unit looks pretty cool. I was looking at it but decided there was just so much more in the zoom (e.g. the mastering effects, programmable drum machine, 350 preprogrammed tracks).

• Members

How are the effects on the Korg unit? I like the variety in the zoom but I find I like running my korg ampworks into the zoom better. I like the amp models in the korg better.

Also, the zoom cannot record much on a 32 meg card (I can only do a 2 1/2 minute track using all four tracks plus bouncing to a stereo mix). I've read the Korg can record quite a bit longer per mb?

Is the new Korg the D4?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-KOR-D4--brand-141.html

for hangwire:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FGL/is_21_8/ai_n15382901

A comparison of the Korg PXR4 and the Zoom PS-04

Archived