I'm a bastard...

(((echo)))

• Members

One of my good friends back in college (we lost touch once he joined the air force with hopes of becoming an astronaut) was from Buffalo. He was a very fine guitarist, shared a love of effects, and had great taste in music. But I could not FATHOM how he loved the Goo Goo Dolls. It's sort of like me loving the Cincinnati Bengals for an entire sucky decade, I guess. Hometown loyalty.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

One of my good friends back in college (we lost touch once he joined the air force with hopes of becoming an astronaut) was from Buffalo. He was a very fine guitarist, shared a love of effects, and had great taste in music. But I could not FATHOM how he loved the Goo Goo Dolls. It's sort of like me loving the Cincinnati Bengals for an entire sucky decade, I guess. Hometown loyalty.

yep it's the typical homer mentality around here... they made it so they must be amazing!

if they were from omaha no one would give a {censored}... they'd have 35 fans just like every other city.

here they fill up our arena.. and niagara square, it's absolutely shocking

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

yep it's the typical homer mentality around here... they made it so they must be amazing!

if they were from omaha no one would give a {censored}... they'd have 35 fans just like every other city.

here they fill up our arena.. and niagara square, it's absolutely shocking

Yeah, he'd be listening to Portishead and Husker Du and all sorts of other good music (he's actually the guy that got me into triphop, as well as some of the 80s "college rock" stuff) and I'd think he was this god of good taste in music and then he'd be like "you HAVE to check out this Buffalo band called the Goo Goo Dolls" and I'd be like "you mean that {censored}ty band on MTV" and he'd get all offended.

That reminds me; he and I did a battle of the bands sort of thing once in college (sophmore year, fall of '96, I believe) with a ragtag band made up of some friends that was hosted/MC'd by Jerry Springer. If I ever figure out how to rip a VHS tape to computer, I'll post it for all to see. We even made Jerry get up onstage and do two songs on vocals! (He was SO hammered, as he'd been chugging rum and cokes the whole time).

• Members

jerry likes the hoooooooers

Yeah. That's the reason that MY fair city (Cincy) had to boot him as mayor (why the {censored} would you write a personal check for a hooker?) And then he reinvented himself as this upstanding and beloved nightly local newsanchor and then he bolted for Chicago to do his show.

The night in question, he was REALLY slobbering over the young college girls. What a CREEP! (You really have to see him onstage singing "I Saw Her Standing There" with us...He also did one of his own tunes, a country song that his publicist at NBC had overnight mailed me so that we could figure it out; it was a planned thing and ended up on the news, etc. Planned by me and a buddy, that is. I'm sure Jerry wouldn't have wanted to come across as the drunken ass that he did; he couldn't even remember the words to his own song!)

• Members

Yeah. That's the reason that MY fair city (Cincy) had to boot him as mayor (why the {censored} would you write a personal check for a hooker?) And then he reinvented himself as this upstanding and beloved nightly local newsanchor and then he bolted for Chicago to do his show.

It's my recollection that the thing with the prostitute happened when he was a member of the city council (he was not yet the mayor). He then resigned from the city council and became a fixture on various news programs. After a few years passed (the prostitute incident being forgiven/forgotten), he ran for city council again and, having garnered the most votes, became mayor (not sure if this is how Cincinnati's system still works, but this was how it worked at the time). I think his time as mayor passed pretty much without incident.

• Members

Originally posted by elcastigo

It's my recollection that the thing with the prostitute happened when he was a member of the city council (he was not yet the mayor). He then resigned from the city council and became a fixture on various news programs. After a few years passed (the prostitute incident being forgiven/forgotten), he ran for city council again and, having garnered the most votes, became mayor (not sure if this is how Cincinnati's system still works, but this was how it worked at the time). I think his time as mayor passed pretty much without incident.

Yeah. I believe you're right. What happened was, he paid a hooker (an underage girl in Newport or Covington) with a check and then when she got arrested later, the cops found it on him. Either way, not the wisest thing he ever did.

• Members

i want to visit mikes music... they have such great stuff there!

Yeah. I can never afford any of it, but it's fun to fiddle around in there. My brother always wanted this Starcaster that they had there for the longest time. Not sure if they still have it. And they always have an amazing assortment of old Jazzmasters and stuff.

• Members

When I'm there visiting my mom and brothers, I LOVE browsing Mike's Music on Short Vine, though. Actually, Cincy's not too bad of a place, but I guess I say that because I don't have to live there. Have either of you guys been to the midget village?

WHAT is the midget village? I've never heard of this. Do tell.

I have a mother and sister still there. Every time I visit the downtown looks more and more depressed...

• Members

Yeah. I can never afford any of it, but it's fun to fiddle around in there. My brother always wanted this Starcaster that they had there for the longest time. Not sure if they still have it. And they always have an amazing assortment of old Jazzmasters and stuff.

that store gets my {censored} wet :love:

• Members

Originally posted by elcastigo

WHAT is the midget village? I've never heard of this. Do tell.

I have a mother and sister still there. Every time I visit the downtown looks more and more depressed...

Well, I'd heard talk of it here and there (mind you, my family had moved to northern Minnesota during my teenage years, so I had to do my "exploring" of the city's fun once they moved back when I was in college and came home for the summers).

My uncle and cousin had mentioned it, but said it was an urban legend. Other people said it was a commune of midgets who lived behind the Rumpke dump and worked there. My mom said there was a place back there when she was a kid in the 60s that gave hayrides.

So, we set out to find it. Turns out we didn't find any midgets (I can't say if there are or aren't any), but DID find "Handlebar Ranch," this creepy place made up of sheds and farm equipment and trucks and a trailerhome or two that were all painted brightly or psychadelically.

To get there, you have to drive north on Colerain until you cross over I-275. Then you'll pass the Walmart shopping center and then you'll turn right on the first main road (the one that leads to the Rumpke dump). You'll take that maybe a mile. Then turn left on some road that starts with an H (can't remember, but maybe Hughes or Hayes?) You'll take that to its end, where you'll find Handlebar Ranch. Like I said, we never saw any midgets, but when we'd go out there at night, we often saw this little old lady sitting under a porchlight reading. VERY creepy place.

Archived