Oh look, a track... IMPOSSIBLE!

Yoozer

• Members

Goody goody drumdrops ... I'm first (not that I care or anything.)

I'm going to commit to writing a review even before listening to it.

. . . . . . . . .

2:12 ... I'm liking it ... very much strikes me as sound track music ... or if a beat and a bass line came in, it could be very dance (but cool dance)

... seems to me it would make good music for the upcoming Miami Vice movie (which could actually be cool because of director Michael Mann, who's never made a bad movie really and some quite great on almost maes, too "Manhunter," "Last of the Mohicans," "Heat" etc. even "Collatoral.")

EDIT: Well, maybe not ... the reviews haven't been very kind ... which almost makes me want to see it more ...

There's a sense of desolation in the music ... sure, there's brightness but its surrounded by this sea of desperation in the crazy evolving choral pad (very nice) ...

the arp is like a knife ... for what? to what purpose?

Well, that's perhaps where the visuals come in or maybe another lead element ... or maybe even some dialog from an old Miami Vice episode if you wanted to get a little cheeky. :eek:

(I :D cheeky music!)

Song just ended. (Again.)

Very nice. (Indeed.) :thu:

(Perhaps could be tightened up a teensy beensy bit ... but that's always my bag. Don't be afraid of making a two-minute masterpiece, is what I say.

Not saying that's how long this one should be. But imagine its use in a movie. Do you really think it would go on that long with the same vibe throughout?

Of course, you're not writing soundtrack music per se ... but then again, I think its the basic style that separates a new general compositional style versus something more A-B-A-B-C-B ... or whatever. Which obviously, this song ain't.

Anyway ... time to go.

Thanks for the sharing the track. :thu:

BTW, sounded great even on my laptop. That's important.

Oh ... about not implementing hardware, though ... I do think it would be an interesting experiment to add a few elements from a hardware source and see if it makes any difference in the dimensionality of the song.

Do you still have any hardware synths?

• Members

Originally posted by Diametro

2:12 ... I'm liking it ... very much strikes me as sound track music ... or if a beat and a bass line came in, it could be very dance (but cool dance)

The track was made for a contest that had as idea to put 2 musicians against eachother - like a wild west duel - and to let 'm choose similar "arms" (musical style, execution, etc).

My opponent wanted to do a Pad-Off - e.g. make a song using mainly pads. He would use software; mainly Reaktor, and I originally intended to do it with hardware to see what contrast it'd give.

However, I'm moving soon, haven't hooked up anything properly, and the studio's a mess. So, I did it with software too; in this case it offered an incredible speed increase and most of the time was spent waiting for the rendering to end.

the arp is like a knife ... for what? to what purpose?

It's FM7 doing this - it brings a bit of rhythm in the landscape. Otherwise you don't have something to cling to.

Not saying that's how long this one should be.

Time constraint was set to 4 minutes max.

BTW, sounded great even on my laptop. That's important.

This means my investment in the monitors has paid off :D.

Do you still have any hardware synths?

Yes. The :wave: only meant "not in this piece" (and was provocative to hear how many people'd gasp ;) )

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• Members

I dig it. :cool:

The spots where you add dissonance are great...but there should be more.

It's chill, so I can't really comment on movement or motivic development or anything like that, but for what it is, I dig it. :cool:

I can hear a continuation of this in my head...maybe if I'm bored when I return to Miami I'll sit down and realize it.

-G

• Members

I expected at least PB to pop in and tell me "See? You don't need all those synths to make music!".

Then again, maybe it's the chrysalid stage again and we'll have to wait a few months.

• Members

Ok.

Here's my constructive critique:

1. I like the pad(s)/synths that'r auto-panned left-to-right and all the 'big' movement.....that builds / maintains the tension and is all it needs IMO.

2. I wouldn't intoduce the arp until at 1.38 - 1.40 where it shifts down an octave. I don't think it should make an appearance prior to that at all. Really!

3. If I had to fill up the beginning (0.00 - 1.40), I might put in a couple long sound FX or sweeps or 'verbd' kss, pss or sasssh kinds of hits or stabs. But it doesn't necessarily need anything.

4. I really love the passage between 2.15 - 2.50.

5. I'd try to build a slight bit more of a climax. I don't mean tympani rolls and crashes 'n {censored}, but maybe one or two well placed accents a little before the 3 minute mark.

6. I like the end, PEFRECT!

Hmmmm. I could see this played in a film (esp. without the arps inna beginning) right after the end of a battle, sort of the aftermath where bunkers are still smouldering and the air is rife with floating ash and smoke, but the battle is definitely over and all that is left is carnage and desolation, but with a smidgen of hope for a brighter future.

It's good, but I was expecting more. :confused: It's your own fault since you know {censored}loads about synthesis and theory and have never before revealed your work. ;) My Yoozer -bar is very high!

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Peace:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

Here's my constructive critique:

It's good, but I was expecting more.

I probably shouldn't say this but it was an incredible rush job and I can't have spent more than an hour on it; most of the work was rendering (and some of the time on IRC).

:confused:
It's your own fault

The same conundrum someone with an OASYS faces - "You paid $8000 for that?" :D

since you know {censored}loads about synthesis and theory and have never before revealed your work.

Well.. {censored}loads.. ;)

True - I don't have much work; pretty much nothing in terms of actual concrete, finished songs, both of which aren't refined or completed.

I try to keep all that stuff either in my head or in the voice recorder of my cellphone (awfully useful, such a thing - whistling in the melody is a fast and accurate way to jot down ideas).

Most of what I have online are single sound examples or demos. This can also be found in what I do on synths; I almost never save presets, I just construct 'm the moment I need them. To be honest, I've never liked the preset management on most of my synths; you almost always need a librarian of sorts to put them back into an accessible place or "defragment" everything, or just too much menu-staring button-pushing drone-work.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

I probably shouldn't say this but it was an incredible rush job and I can't have spent more than an hour on it; most of the work was rendering (and some of the time on IRC).

Ok, let me rephrase that: Eat my balls! ;)

For an hour's work, it's fantastic.

I just spent a month remixing, polishing and remixing again, 4 tracks for a demo that I sent out. Now that it's been mailed to 25 places, I have realized that my demo is {censored}!

If someone said: "Create an interesting mood and chord progression in an hour!" I'd be like: "Erm, will you settle for a crappy bassline and a technobeat?" :D

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Clicken Sie Hier

Neuron VS, FM7, Kontakt 2, UGO Rez.

:wave:
hardware.

I dig it!

I was really expecting that FM7 arp to set the tempo for some big industrial-style drums to come in about halfway through, but I listened to it before reading about the purpose of the track.

Nice pads!

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Enjoyed your music, yoozer.

The 25 sec intro was nicely done, the main sequence that follows carries the track along nicely, l enjoyed the simple but effective chord changes and delicate synth choir layers.

Nice touch at the end, leaves the listener wanting more, just an hint that the track was about to go elsewhere.

Sounds?

For a quickly made track it sounds very good, with a little more tweeking you could easily get a fuller sound.

The synth choirs were very effective in places, i thought a Prophet 5 type pad or one of the classic DX7 pad presets in FM7 would have given a fuller sound, nothing drastic, just another low volume layer would of given the choir a slightly more rounded sound, but like you said, this was a quickly made track.

An interesting track, i hear Eno, Tangerine Dream and Jarre influences, even Kitaro the way the main sequence carries the track along.

Have you tried this VST?

http://www.softforall.com/mp3naudoi/MusicCreation/Magnus_Choir_VSTi01060078.htm

Something like this layered under your synth choir, just an hint, would have been even more effective.

Nice track, yoozer, i enjoyed it.

• Members

I enjoyed the tension in the buildup, esp 0:00 to 0:38.

I was expecting some huge pad to come in and kick my ass at that point, but the tension faded into transition by 0:50.

I confess to being a little disappointed at that point in the track not to have my ass kicked by huge sound.

Overall, I liked it.

Archived