High Class SD1

murky69nz

• Members

Right, I love the sound of my SD1 but am sick of the fact that it introduces noise into the signal when pluged in and the pedal is off.

Are there any higher class SD1 immitators that won't introduce noise and that perhaps have true bypass switching?

I would like a pedal that gives the exact wame sound as the SD1 but without the noise.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by murky69nz

Right, I love the sound of my SD1 but am sick of the fact that it introduces noise into the signal when pluged in and the pedal is off.

Are there any higher class SD1 immitators that won't introduce noise and that perhaps have true bypass switching?

I would like a pedal that gives the exact wame sound as the SD1 but without the noise.

thanks

Keeley has a mod for that.

I believe it had something to do with a badly designed FET bypass.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Analog Man has a Maxon OD9, which is a tube screamer and is true bypass. The only difference between a tube screamer and a SD1 is the clipping, the SD1 is asymmetrical where the TS is symmetrical. Asymmetrical is a little raspier sounding, which I happen to like.... :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by FranklinD

Analog Man has a Maxon OD9, which is a tube screamer and is true bypass. The only difference between a tube screamer and a SD1 is the clipping, the SD1 is asymmetrical where the TS is symmetrical. Asymmetrical is a little raspier sounding, which I happen to like....
:thu:

yeah i think the SD-1 sounds better for what I want... it gives crazy feedback and harmonics with my setup... but I cant find one that's TB.

the OD9 might be TB but like you said, it's symmetrical...

• Members

All SD-1s that I've heard have a small amount of 'bleed' when off and in the chain. Listen for it and it will reveal itself.

I really like my Analogman modded Boss SD-1/808 Silver so I sent it to Mr. Keeley for his 'bleed' fix. I am now very happy with it. My SD-1 is totally 'tricked-out' and has Analogman's red sun stamp and Keeley's stickers on it. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

Try the Keeley 5 star SD-1 mod. It kicks butt!!!

yeah... but the keely mod

1) is not true bypass

2) basically turns the SD-1 into a TS808 (why???) and eliminates the asymmetrical clipping...

i don't get it man. i cant believe nobody liked the SD-1 enough to make an improved version of it. I much prefer it to the 808.

• Members

Originally posted by J1mmy

yeah... but the keely mod

1) is not true bypass

2) basically turns the SD-1 into a TS808 (why???) and eliminates the asymmetrical clipping...

i don't get it man. i cant believe nobody liked the SD-1 enough to make an improved version of it. I much prefer it to the 808.

All they do is remove the stock diode in D6 and replace it with a jumper to make it symmetrical clipping. If you want it to be asymmetrical, then tell keeley to leave the diode in, or to upgrade it to a nice germanium. While you're at it, order one of his bypass loopers to put the SD-1 in, if having TB is an issue.

• Members
Originally posted by Jaymeister

All they do is remove the stock diode in D6 and replace it with a jumper to make it symmetrical clipping. If you want it to be asymmetrical, then tell keeley to leave the diode in, or to upgrade it to a nice germanium. While you're at it, order one of his bypass loopers to put the SD-1 in, if having TB is an issue.

good to know, thanks :)

Archived