The right way to kick someone out of a band.

NITEFLY182

• Members

So back when I was in high school I was in a pop punk band for a year or so.We played shows, recorded an album, I thought everything was going well. Then I started getting these calls that werent having practice this week for a few weeks. long story short I hear from the guy that engineered our cd that they had replaced me without telling me and were going to call me the day of our next show to tell me they were kicking me out. BTW, all my gear was at the practice space and the new guy had been using it for 6 weeks. So now a few weeks ago the same thing started happening with the band i was most recently in. I started asking if we were practicing on such and such a day and the two other dudes would be like "were both just so busy, ill call you when were having practice." So I recently see on our myspace page that an unannounced show had been played and that said show went well. So i do a little more research and find some photos of the band playing on another myspace page with a new bass player and my gear in the background. I picked up my stuff yesterday and i dont really know that they know i know. I dont get it, why cant people just say its not working out or we want another bass player instead of lying for weeks on end so they can use my gear. this is so annoying.

BTW: i posted this in electric guitars thinking it was effects.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

So back when I was in high school I was in a pop punk band for a year or so.We played shows, recorded an album, I thought everything was going well. Then I started getting these calls that werent having practice this week for a few weeks. long story short I hear from the guy that engineered our cd that they had replaced me without telling me and were going to call me the day of our next show to tell me they were kicking me out. BTW, all my gear was at the practice space and the new guy had been using it for 6 weeks. So now a few weeks ago the same thing started happening with the band i was most recently in. I started asking if we were practicing on such and such a day and the two other dudes would be like "were both just so busy, ill call you when were having practice." So I recently see on our myspace page that an unannounced show had been played and that said show went well. So i do a little more research and find some photos of the band playing on another myspace page with a new bass player and my gear in the background. I picked up my stuff yesterday and i dont really know that they know i know. I dont get it, why cant people just say its not working out or we want another bass player instead of lying for weeks on end so they can use my gear. this is so annoying.

BTW: i posted this in electric guitars thinking it was effects.

Wow, you must suck.

KIDDING.

Nah thats {censored}ty. People are afraid of the confrontation, not realizing that its kinder that way. the way its happened to you is just cruel. In liverpool we would call that kind of behaviour Arl-arse.

• Members

Thats really crappy.....and cowardly......

Never done anything like that - if any band I am in makes such a decision - we do it before we have even hired anyone....And the only times have been serious differences of opinions or drugs/alcohol....

There are people (and some right here on HC that I jammed with) who think I am mofo to work with.....I am not, I am just upfront and upstanding....I tell anyone about a change to their face or on the phone before any replacements have taken place....Its not popular and never seem to remain friends afterwards.....Even tho I do it because I respect others....Just never seen that way I guess.....

• Members

That's {censored}ty dude.

My band just "kicked out" the drummer. For a while, we weren't jamming as much, because we just weren't so into it anymore, but all our gear was at his house. Us three got together and talked about what we were thinking, and I told the drummer that it wasn't working out. There was too much of a style clash. So, it wasn't even really kicking him out, it was starting a whole new project without him. I think we were pretty decent with that, I even introduced him to a singer and such in hopes that they could do something cool together.

But yes, can't believe that happened twice. That's {censored}ty. You should take them on Judge Judy. Let me know when it airs.

• Members

deny that i suck at bass? Ive been playing bass for a long time and think i can hold my own. I think the reason is that im a serious student and i live about 20 miles away. They think that means that Im not serious about the band and wouldnt "drop everything to go on tour" which if you think about it is pretty unreasonable. Im very serious about music but i wouldnt just leave school after paying $20,000 to go on a tour.

• Members

The real problem is that they used the gear... If they didn't have enough balls to tell you straight up what the deal was they are assholes, but to use your gear that way is like sending this new bass player to {censored} your wife while you are out getting coffee... I'd make it a huge issue just to make them feel like the {censored} they are...

• Members

Yeah, they sound like a bunch of spineless twits. And using your gear is just WRONG.

My favorite story (in a nice way, not a funny way) of how to let bandmaes go is how Coltrane used to fire musicians. He'd take a walk with them, put his arm on their shoulder and say "I think it's time we made a change around here" (or something like that)

Archived