Topographical maps?

jcn37203

• Members

Is there anywhere I can go to order hi-res, high-quality topo maps of specific parts of the Earth?

Like, I'd like to be able to select a certain region, anywhere on the planet and get a good topo map, on paper (not digital). Though I realize there would probably be some parts of the Earth that would be unavailable for political reasons or security reason or whatever, but it seems like most of the planet should be pretty well mapped out by now.

My dad used to get them all the time when he was in the Army, so I know the technology exists, just not sure if its available to the civilian world or not.

• Members

There's a map store a block from my house, if they are available to civilians, I'm sure they could get them. They do stock USGS topo maps of the state and surrounding states and can get any others. USGS topo maps can also be bought online from a link on the blm.gov site. At least last time I checked.

• Members

Originally posted by shecky

There's a map store a block from my house, if they are available to civilians, I'm sure they could get them. They do stock USGS topo maps of the state and surrounding states and can get any others. USGS topo maps can also be bought online from a link on the blm.gov site. At least last time I checked.

Topographic maps?

Finding maps is easy, its good topo maps that are hard to find.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Topographic maps?

Finding maps is easy, its good topo maps that are hard to find.

Yes, USGS topographic maps.

Regarding land outside the US, if they can be had by civilians, they could get them. For a price, of course. Some of the more interesting maps they have are $$$.

• Members

Originally posted by shecky

Yes, USGS topographic maps.

Regarding land outside the US, if they can be had by civilians, they could get them. For a price, of course. Some of the more interesting maps they have are $$$.

Cool.

Don't suppose they have a website, do they?

• Members

If you really really really want the best and most recent topo maps, I saw on the usgs website that they have an opening for an IT guy. You'd have to move to Baltimore for it. But then you could get the very best. I'd say it's worth uprooting everything, leaving your home and fiance, and grabbing a couple top quality maps as perks for your new job.

Archived