Have you ever actually worn through a guitar's finish?

jcn37203

• Members

I mean, by playing, not by falsely aging it.

Earlier this evening I smacked the {censored} out of my Tele on the corner of my desk, and it didn't even ding it. So that's got me thinking that you've really got to play the {censored} out of a guitar for years in order to get that SRV #1 look.

Like, play for hours a day, for years.

• Members

James Cobra Nesbit 37203,

let me tell you that you'll never wear through a TRUE guitar's finish until you've accumulated the pure mojo from the crossroads to melt the heart of the sweet baby you're pickin and grinnin with.

be it stratoblast, teleblanger or lespole, you have to have the MOJO.

tone mojo that is.

BLUESMEN !

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

let me tell you that you'll never wear through a TRUE guitar's finish until you've accumulated the pure mojo from the crossroads to melt the heart of the sweet baby you're pickin and grinnin with.

tone mojo that is.

BLUESMEN !

So... thats a no?

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

tone mojo that is.

BLUESMEN !

yeah, i've always wondered if those guys are LITERALLY making love to their guitars.

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000248.html

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

The difference in the type of finish and the number of coats used will make a big difference as to how long it holds up. Those polyurethane finishes on newer Fenders are damn near bulletproof.

yeah, the nitro finishes are a lot more likely to wear down from use.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Earlier this evening I smacked the {censored} out of my Tele on the corner of my desk, and it didn't even ding it. So that's got me thinking that you've really got to play the {censored} out of a guitar for years in order to get that SRV #1 look.

have you watched the El Macambo concert?

I think chucking that thing around the stage speeds up the process....

• Members

Earlier this evening I smacked the {censored} out of my Tele on the corner of my desk, and it didn't even ding it.

A TV remote (you know how light those things are nowadays) fell off the arm of my couch onto my guitar (a distance of like 2-3 inches) and it left a ding you can spot from 20 meters :mad:

• Members

Yes I have. I've got an older Fernades Gravity-4 bass that I use all the time as my beater bass. Where I lay my fingers at and where I lay my arm has worn threw. I started using it all the time cause I didn't want to make any more wear marks on my Dano. The Fernades has a really thick top coat. I was surprised that it wore thew.

• Members

Does it count that the Yamaha Pacifica (the first electric I bought) I had in natural finish ended up with more wear on it than the late 60's Univox I replaced it with?

Because yeah, I beat the {censored} out of that guitar....and then painted it dark green with spray paint.

I'm talking about worn, splintered wood here.

• Members

My 1996 MIM Fender Stratocaster looks like Rory Gallagher's.

I bought it new, and it was black.

Over time the finish just started flaking right off, and eventually revealed that the guitar was originally finished in 3 color sunburst. I e-mailed Fender and they said they must have needed more black guitars, so they painted over the burst.

Something was wrong with the guitar finish though and over the years the paint just flaked off down to the bare wood, though some black primer remains on the sides (especially the contour on the back).

I slapped a single coat of clear sealer over it to protect the wood, but it sure looks beat to {censored}. Sounds great though. :)

• Members

My nitro SG has a worn patch on the upper bout where my forearm rubs, but it isn't through the finish. My ploy finished guitars seem indestructible. I have a really battered bass from 96 that has had hundreds of hours of abuse and the worst of that is a few chips....

• Members

Yep. My Les Paul Custom's black paint is worn through on the back of the neck at the fifth fret. Too much playing in A. It's all me, too. Bought it new in Germany in '77.

• Members

I've done it with my early 50's Epiphone accoustic. It wasn't in great shape to start but I've played it hard for a good period of time now. It's retired. I splurged on a J-45 to replace it because I was literally worried I was going to put my hand through it were the pickguard would be if it had one. which partially explains why it's so trashed. Tele's are basically as close to indestructable as a guitar can get. If you drop a Les Paul you have a 1500$ box of tooth picks whereas if you throw a tele off a building and it gets run over you'll probably have to retune it.

Archived