GAS gave me an Andromeda, but what case should I use?

lawst

• Members

So after a year of Andy GAS I finally went and bought one :D unfortunately I need to wait for a month for numark to manufacture another batch!

Anyways back on topic - What flightcase do you use with your A6?

For my virus ti I currently use an SKB case which is totally awesome, however after looking at the size charts on the SKB website I see that I need the 88-key case to fit the Andy. The price of the 61-key case is

• Members

The way I look at it is thus: If I'm just taking an instrument to here or there occasionally, a gig bag is just fine and dandy. If I plan on moving it consistantly and into differing environment, possibly with hands other than my own transporting it, I want a case that I would be comfortable standing on a chair, holding the instrument (in the case) over my head and dropping it on the floor. The peace of mind is worth my extra money.

I buy relatively expensive toys and I want them to last as long as they can. If you're comfortable with a polystyrene case, then bully. If you want your new (and kickass, it's number two on my want list) toy to stay fresh and shiny, I'd seriously suggest ponying up the dough for the more rugged case.

I use Road Ready cases, FWIW.

• Members

one thing to be aware of: the andy has plastic side pannels that, in my opinion, are not very strong. if they take an impact, I seriously doubt they would survive.

while a hardshell case is going to add considerably to the size and weight of the andromeda in transport, I think he extra protection is worth it. I mean, its a 3k synthesizer we are talking about..not some crappy casio..

• Members

Don't carry the A6 in a gig bag, it's too easy to damage the pots/knobs. Hard shell cases are better.

Gator cases are better than SKB, not the other way around. Gator uses better latches and the lids are a better fit when they close. I use an Anvil ATA flightcase for my A6.

• Members

The phrase: "case it, or replace it" applies proportionately to the amount of money you spent on your Andy.

The bag or semi-rigid case is a bad idea.

The best way to go is a full ATA flight case made specifically for the Andys' dimensions 40.1 X 4.8 x 16.1 47 pounds.

Short of going with the best/ most expensive option. Let me suggest this as a alternative. I just bought one of these cases sized for my Motif ES8. Just to use as transport to local gigs, in/ out of the truck, but not to be run over by one, or thrown off the top of one.

Take a look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-CUSTOM-Case-RECESSED-for-ALESIS-ANDROMEDA_W0QQitemZ270013358549QQihZ017QQcategoryZ85858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm happy with mine, but wouldn't put it on a airline, I'd buy an Anvil at 2.5X the price for that....:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by lawst

So after a year of Andy GAS I finally went and bought one
:D
unfortunately I need to wait for a month for numark to manufacture another batch!

So they ARE still manufacturing them? Can you please give us some more details?

• Members

If I had an Andromeda (most likely never gonna happen in my lifetime tho), I probably wouldn't want to take him outside unless it was protected in some kind of bulletproof sturdy flightcase.... I mean, it's gotta roadie proof (there are loads of people on stages who rarely realize how much $$$ the synth actually cost) and well, anything can happen during trips to gigs and it's not always happy times for your high quality gear......

That said, I do have a softcase to take my Motif6 to gigs, but heh heh an Andromeda is like 3 times more expensive.....

Gotta take care of your babies, right?

• Members

thanks for all the replies. i think you guys got the wrong end of the stick, im not considering a gig bag to put it in that would be insane! the gator case i was referring to is constructed out of the same material as the SKB cases which are fantastic! this is the gator case I was meaning:

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsmodeldetail.aspx?LID=3&PID=46&MID=205

Does anyone use the above case for their andromeda or for another synth?

So they ARE still manufacturing them? Can you please give us some more details?

I got mine from Digital Village here in the UK. I was orginally told the end of september but now they say mid october so i think they are waiting for Numark manufacturing another batch. It should be cool though as nobody else could get a virus TI when they were first released unless they had pre-ordered because of the backlog of orders, but i got mine no problem. heres hoping anyway!! :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by The Real MC

Yes - I carry my Yamaha P-90 in one of those. Good case. The wheels are a plus and the handles are way better than SKB.

Is it difficult to carry since there are no center handles? I'm presuming that you need to use two arms to carry it since the handles are off-center

• Members

There's a handle on the end when you use the wheels.

It is not hard to carry with the two handles on the side.

Polymer cases are not strong enough to endure a handle on the center. Too much flexing, then it cracks. Two handles are a better solution.

Archived