Compressor help and info

turnip

• Members

how importenat/essential is a compressor in a clean guitar sound? I've never used a compressor before in my whole life entire, but often wonder if it would help tighten up my clean sound.

Would one be helpful or essential to a U2/the Police/the Smiths type clean/ish sound? What is a good cheap one?

Should I not worry about it at all?

I really am clueless about this one effect.

:(

• Members

It is useful but not essential. Many of my favorite players play really great clean stuff and don't use compressors. I use a Barber Tone Press. Not sure what you mean when you say "cheap" though. They go for $140 new and $100 used. They are very versatile...you can go from literally no compression to a very big squish. If you want a really compressed sound go for a MXR Dynacomp, used for about $60 and the closest thing you will get to a Ross without spending $300. A lot of people just use them for solos but I leave mine on all the time. I'm going to get another sometime though to kick on for really compressed solos. I find it really cleans up my chords though on very light compression.

• Members

I love mine on chords cause I can play a little harder or softer (due to sloppy playing) and it still sounds the same. I think it makes my chords much cleaner...it's really a "secret weapon" pedal for me.

Most people tend to put it first in the chain (right after the guitar). Unless you have a wah, then that goes first and comp after that. Some people however use it after OD like Trey from Phish...this tends to have a darker sound and increase sustain.

• Members

Barber Tone Press

There is a link to their site in my sig. Honestly my favorite compressor ever and I have owned or played MXR DynaComps (both regular and Super), Keeley, Ross, Boss CS-3, DOD Milkbox, Marshall Compressor, etc. It's the blend knob on the Barber that does it for me.

• Members

i knew the trey heads would be posting in here

compression is the "secret weapon" in getting that trey/santana sound

i really like the analogman bicomp

actually mike (analogman) has some pics of trey using his bicomp, at the websight

it is currently in his rig from what i know

thought i would add my $0.02

if you didin't know the bicomp is a ross based comp (but much more improved) with attack controles

and a orange squez clone

both are independantly controled

• Members

The Keeley is a great sounding pedal. If I was going for that Ross squish it would be the Keeley all the way. I just don't use that much compression in my playing. I love Trey's tone obviously but I think his setup is much different than mine and he is able to get away with using a lot of squish still have it sound natural. What I need in a compressor is a lot of sustain and minimum actual compression.

• Members

Originally posted by turnip

how importenat/essential is a compressor in a clean guitar sound?

As already stated, they are not necessary.

However, they can do wonders for clean and dirty tones.

The only way that you'll know if it is for you is to try one.

I recommend the Carl Martin.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

:cool: :cool:

:thu:

• Members

Hey, to chime in, I've owned about all the big comps out there, and the best are the barber, and the bicomp. I just sold a bicomp, but I loved it, especially the Os side. It really depends on what you're playing. I do some country, and it's great for that, but I mostly do funk and gospel, so I need a bit more subtle comp. I did a recording with the os side of the bicomp, and my tone is incredible, very andy summers like. This said, I think I'm going back to the barber, for the blend knob, and it's a bit more subtle than the bicomp. The keeley was great too, just a bit too squishy, as previously mentioned. One that hasn't gotten as much press as it should is the homebrew retro. This is an amazing comp, for the money.

Peace.

Kurt

• Members

I have a tone press and a dyna comp. I like the dyna comp better because of it's tone and squishyness and for the stuff I do which includes U2, police, Pink Floyd, etc... The tone press is a far more professional sounding pedal and sounds better with my acoustic guitar, but I really don't like sounding so HiFi all the time. It's so subtle at times that I don't really need it. I get a ton of sustain from my amp, tubescreamer, and les Paul already, so sometimes I just want to level it out and squish it a bit. Also, I find that the Tone Press kind of darkens my tone a bit, even when I fooled around with the internal trim pot. Although the dyna comp colors the tone, it's the color I'm looking for. In the end I like them both, but tend to use the dyna comp more live.

• Members

I have about ten compressor (TC, Analogman, C.Martin etc) pedals and the Diamond Compressor is the most natural, musical, addictive and fattest of the bunch with the option of adding sparkle.

Big and warm sounding, keeps the initial attack. Like a good studio compressor the pedal can compress some dB without sounding compresssed.

" Vactrol opto-isolator variable resistance path as used in

high-end studio compressors for smooth attack and decay

characteristics while preserving initial signal transients."

426.jpg

internal.jpg

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html

• Members

I just played my roomates Ross for a bit with my Tone Press...talk about 2 different machines! The Ross is a sweet pedal for the right application but it isn't for me....only other compressor I would consider now is the Diamond...just sounds so sweet in that clip...or maybe the BYOC Ross clone just to hear it...lol...I'm such a whore. :D

• Members

in my opinion (and depending on what you want to do)

i generally put compression toward the front of my chain (before overdrive and distortion and any eq type effects)

and phase (as well as any other modulation effects) allmost at the end of the chain (just befor your reverb and delay)

Archived