Buddy scored a blackface fender for free!!!!!

Redfox777

• Members

I wish I was this lucky. The dude just started playing guitar and he was looking for his first amp. Some family friends told them they had an old amp that didnt work that he could have for free. He brought it over to me to ask if it was a good amp. I was like uhhhhhh dude thats an understatement. Its a blackface fender deluxe 1/12 with vibrato. I couldnt find the date on it but it looks like some 60-70s amps that I found on ebay. Its missing the fuse so hopefully thats the only thing thats not working. I dont know much about fenders but when we took it to a tech to get it looked at, every one in the guitar shop turned their heads. If it works he's gonna be a lucky son of a bitch.

PS. what overdrive will go good with a fender deluxe.

• Members

It doesn't matter how much work is needed, it's worth getting done. If it hasn't been used for quite sometime the caps will probably need replaced. Also, usually when the fuse goes it's a symptom of a more serious problem. Still, he should get the work done, it's gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying just about any decent amp, let alone a blackface DeLuxe.

• Members

Originally posted by Redfox777

Out of curiousity approximately how much is the amp worth? Its in mint condition with very little dings or wear. Like I said, I don't know much about fenders, just that blackface = good.

We don't have enough information to tell you. Check the serial number against this website: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

When you know how old it is, you can check on ebay and the like to see what comparable amps are going for. There's a good chance that it's a post-1993 reissue for all we know about it so far, and that's a lot less than, say, a 1965 or something.

Regardless, a great amp and worth keeping.

• Members

On the inside there is a sheet of paper that says what tubes need to go in what place and says productioin #5. The amp will be at the tech for a lil while so ill have to check it out when it gets back.

Any ideas for what overdrive to use with it?

• Members

1. There were no reissues of the BF Deluxe.

2. The BF deluxe was made from '63-66

3. If it's in extremely nice condition, it should be worth around $1k.

4. The Deluxe is NOT the same amp as the Deluxe Reverb. Close, but quite a ways off in terms of collectability and resale value. There wasn't as much gain on hand in these (and also the non-reverb Princeton amps), thus they don't "crunch" as nicely, thus they're not as sought after.

Still, a very nice amp, especially considering the "cost." I suspect (at least, I HOPE) the tech will want to replace the 2 prong cord, the filter caps, and perhaps a few other components, including, possibly some tubes. The speaker should also be looked at. It's quite possible that the spider is worn and the paper is dry rotted by now.

Old Fenders take well to just about any pedal you want to put in front of them.

Archived