studio pre-amp/comp. - analog vs. digital out

Karma1

• Members

I recently picked up a Focusrite Platinum Penta pre-amp/ compressor. There's a digital (SPDIF) option available for it that I'm thinking of getting, although it's a bit pricey (about $200). I'll be recording mostly electric guitar and keyboards into ProTools LE with an Mbox which has SPDIF connections. I'm sure that going digital would yield better sound quality, but would it be significantly better than the 1/4 inch analog outs and worth the expense? I'd appreciate any feedback.

• Members

Hmm. That's a hard one, as I'm really not sure how much of an improvement that particular card would be. Low end A/D converters are probably not really going to be much better than the conversion you've got in the MBOX. If you're going to be doing a ton of tracks, it may help some in the long cumulative run, but honestly I'd keep saving that money for an eventual preamp/interface upgrade.

If this interface is strictly for demos, I'd say don't sweat it. If it's for more serious recording, I'd say save for a better preamp. The Penta is a good startout unit, but all in all I didn't find it significantly better than the pres in an MBOX/002 or Mackie VLZ mixer and I think your money can be better spent elsewhere than on tweaking it.

• Members

no problem. Good A/D conversion is important, but my impression has been that you spend a decent chunk of cash to get notable improvement there, whereas for less money you can make equal or greater gains forward by upgrading preamps and microphones. This is just my experience as a home recordist - I take it seriously but in the end am working out of a living room! There are some guys here who've been at it longer, know more, and are way better at it than me, maybe they'll chime in. Forumite Bobby Yarrow is one who, while I'm not sure what he's using/if he's pro or not, is someone who makes fantastic sounding recordings.

Archived