Klon like transparent boost pedals....list em!!

riffpowers

• Members

I could really do with a transparent and versatile boost that doesn't cut bass/add any treble and adds thickness fatness and sustain to solos.

Maybe a Klon type overdrive would do the trick??Seeing as the klon is pretty expensive, I wondered if it really does live up to the hype, and i also wondered what other choices there are out there.

So please list all klon type pedals, your experiences/opinions, wether you think it'd do the trick for me and clips or links would be even better.

• Members

i do think that a boost that adds thickness fatness is not really transparant.

the klon is a nice pedal though, that ads sparkle when used as a boost. it ads a lot of mid when the gain is turned up pst 9 o'clock. but that is not his good site imo. maybe the banzai coldfusion is an option for you. nice boost but what warmer than the klon and the gain knob is more versatile.

• Members

I thought the Klon added quite a bit of midrange in the higher gain settings (these were also my favorite settings on the Klon). For just a little bit of hair without changing the frequency balance, the Fulldrive 2 in comp cut mode on low gain settings is pretty good.

• Members

Originally posted by monkeyland

people say that the zoom PD01 is "klon like". don't know for sure because i've never tried a klon but i sure do like my zoom. in fact i used it in the studio the other night. it sounded great. just a clean boost with bass and treble control. nice.

I use a PD-01 as well. I love it. And they are cheap as well. Lots of bang for your buck.

• Members

Originally posted by monkeyland

people say that the zoom PD01 is "klon like". don't know for sure because i've never tried a klon but i sure do like my zoom. in fact i used it in the studio the other night. it sounded great. just a clean boost with bass and treble control. nice.

+1.

never tried the Klon but :thu: for the Zoom.

The Zoom goes from transparent clean boost to Tuebscreamery-level drive with 2 band EQ (er...something else monkey noted).

• Members

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

isn't that a tube screamer clone?

why is there a shirtless man in your avatar?

Not a TS clone, but somewhat similar.

A/B'd it next to the Klon and liked it better if simply for the facts there was TBP in the Snapper and a better overdrive tone if you decide to use it.

I emphasize "if" because the Snapper is very transparent and crunch free if you turn the gain low or totally down. It has a lot of dB boost to make up for leaving the drive out.

But if you choose to add some drive it's got a better tone than the Klon IMO.

AND

Why is there a shirthless man in your avatar?

• Members

Originally posted by gappie

i do think that a boost that adds thickness fatness is not really transparant.

the klon is a nice pedal though, that ads sparkle when used as a boost. it ads a lot of mid when the gain is turned up pst 9 o'clock. but that is not his good site imo. maybe the banzai coldfusion is an option for you. nice boost but what warmer than the klon and the gain knob is more versatile.

agree totally. fwiw, I have both the od820 and the cold fusion and the colf fusion is the keeper for me. the od820 is a great pedal though.

• Members

Originally posted by Aster Blistok

i have never tried klon. but i have tried austin gold which is really nice and for which some people say it is poor man's klon.

You beat me to it, Aster. Good call!

There've been some great recommendations such as the Cold Fusion for clean boost.

• Members

Burriss Boostier

Jusrt read some rave about the new ProTone BoomBox Clean Boost ($149.00)

"To everybody that wants a clean boost with a Mid control, that can help your fender sound like a Marshall or a Vox, or a marshall sound like a fender or a Vox, or whatever, please buy this pedal.. Dennis is a true visionary in pedal making."

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100967

Boom-Box.jpg

www.ProTonePedals.com/BoomBox.mp3

http://protonepedals.com/pedal_boombox.shtml

http://www.axetopia.com/news/05_11/Boom_box_booster.html

Archived