Digitech JamMan: yea/nay as looper for individual songwriting and RECORDING via comp!

hangwire

• Members

a friend with my DL-4 wa stalking about him only using the looper for layering and overdubing, but that he wanted more than 14 sec [and he is trying to see if he can get 28 sec, thanks in a former thread]

so looking at the Jam Man, it appears that it has a usb out, so in essence you coudl dump down a "loop" as a guitar track onto a computer, right? so this is like a portable single track recoding studio interface...

any opinions on how it functions in that way, as opposed to a guitar pedal? he would be dumping tracks to ACID or SOUND Forge

• Members

I think the jamman isn't as good a tool for songwriting as a typical 4 or 8 track digital recorder...because you can't adjust levels and it colors the tone a lot. But it can work in that way if you really need it to. I think it's probably good for street musicians and solo performer looking to fill oyut tyheir sound

• Members

I've been interested in the Jam Man too. I read a few reviews that said it was hard to set the loops up for quick bursts of inspiration. I haven't used one myself and I guess I let the bad reviews discourage me. $300 is a lot to pay for something that may end up not working the way you hoped it would.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I think the jamman isn't as good a tool for songwriting as a typical 4 or 8 track digital recorder...because you can't adjust levels and it colors the tone a lot. But it can work in that way if you really need it to. I think it's probably good for street musicians and solo performer looking to fill oyut tyheir sound

how does it color the tone?

i guess teh volume control wouldn't be an issue, because you would dump the "loop/track" down and mix it in the computer program with the volumes...

• Members
Originally posted by hangwire

that is just silly... too big...

anyone else?

yeah, big, BUT it is in stereo (:thu: ) and it has a seperate output for the loops (:thu: ). These two factors are pretty huge, especially the seperate out because you can send the loops to a monitor for your drummer.

• Members
Originally posted by alloowishus

because you can send the loops to a monitor for your drummer.

why would that be different than coming from the amp with a PA system and monitors? I mean, if you have monitors, than, you have a PA... and the pedal could just be in your chain :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by alloowishus

yeah, big, BUT it is in stereo (
:thu:
) and it has a seperate output for the loops (
:thu:
). These two factors are pretty huge, especially the seperate out because you can send the loops to a monitor for your drummer.

not to mention Midi which I assume you'd be able to sync a drum machine too...like the echoplex digital pro.

oh {censored}...time to sell the EDP and start saving:(

• Members

why would that be different than coming from the amp with a PA system and monitors? I mean, if you have monitors, than, you have a PA... and the pedal could just be in your chain
:confused:

It depends what you're doing, in some of my songs, I lay down a loop bed and play lead on top of that. Now everything is going through my pedals and so even if your drummer has a normal monitor feed (assuming you are miced) than he hears everything, but ideally he should only hear the loop and not your lead stuff on top. So you send the monitor out of the RC-50 to your drummer and the rest to the PA. Get it? At least I hope that's the way it works.
:D

Anyway, it seems like Digitech and Boss are getting into a looper war, each one is trying to outdo the other. Expect the next one to have a built in synthesizer and drum machine.

• Members

a friend with my DL-4 wa stalking about him only using the looper for layering and overdubing, but that he wanted more than 14 sec [and he is trying to see if he can get 28 sec, thanks in a former thread]

so looking at the Jam Man, it appears that it has a usb out, so in essence you coudl dump down a "loop" as a guitar track onto a computer, right? so this is like a portable single track recoding studio interface...

any opinions on how it functions in that way, as opposed to a guitar pedal? he would be dumping tracks to ACID or SOUND Forge

the usb and flashcard features are overrated. The digitech tries to offer something for your pc and your pedalboard and i think fails in both areas. The looper has no quantize function, meaning if you are using it live, it's going to be difficult. The usb is pointless imo. If you want to layer tracks, just use n-tracks, a cheap software solutions far more superior than any the digitech has to offer.

for the money, i think the rc-20, boomerang or the 16 second day offer better usability than the digitech. The rc-50 should outperform any of the above mentioned loopers, hands down.

• Members
Originally posted by Cow4prez

the usb and flashcard features are overrated. The digitech tries to offer something for your pc and your pedalboard and i think fails in both areas. The looper has no quantize function, meaning if you are using it live, it's going to be difficult. The usb is pointless imo. If you want to layer tracks, just use n-tracks, a cheap software solutions far more superior than any the digitech has to offer.

for the money, i think the rc-20, boomerang or the 16 second day offer better usability than the digitech. The rc-50 should outperform any of the above mentioned loopers, hands down.

I didn't know the Jamman didn't quantize, that's interesting. It's not as useful as I thought.

I have the RC-20 and for all the bashing the DL-4 gets, I think it sounds better. Plus the RC-20 is not stereo. :confused: Quantizing is huge though.

Hopefully the RC-50 will sound better and is the best of both worlds, but I will try it out first. It is one big mother {censored}er though, compeletely screws up my pedal board. :mad:

• Members

Well la di da... it seems folks here are always bashing companies and products that they don't actually own or have any experience with - besides just reading others' opinions to form their own.

I owned the RC20XL (which I returned) and currently own the JamMan. They're essentially the same machine, almost identical in looks, operation and features. The JamMan adds compact flash, usb, more loop locations (99) and headphone use among other things.

The JamMan DOES quantize loops, as long as you're using the the TEMPO function, just like on the RC20XL. Digitech doesn't say it the same way in their manual - but it works the same way as the RC20XL. But of course, with any looping device, you must hit the pedal at the exact precise moment to get a seamless loop.

And then again, the original post from hangwire doesn't even ask about the JamMan's ability to quantize or sending a monitor feed to the drummer or any of that. To answer the question; YES, the JamMan could in essence, be used as a single guitar track recording studio interface into a (computer), transfering your loops, loops with overdubs, vocals, etc., via USB as .WAV files - which can be edited in any studio recording software that reads .WAV files - then after editing, you can transfer them back to the JamMan.

The JamMan works for me in just that way... and it's a pretty competent looper too - practicing, jamming or live on stage.

As far as the Boss RC-50... It looks pretty cool - and it should drive down the prices of the RC20XL, JamMan, BoomerRang, DL4, etc., etc., etc...

maxed
out

• Members

Thanks Maxed , for that expert advice...
I just recently bought a Jamman, but I'm still learning it and I was pretty sure it would do what Hangwire was asking but I didn't want to say, until I was for sure.

I've had several folks come in and trade the RC20 for the Jamman... just because of the USB and flash card/extra memory capability.

I like mine. but I haven't had enough time to really learn it like I want to.

The new rc50 looks nice. but i hate to think that the jamman has already been outdated.... but by the look of it.
I'm betting the price will be so high, that jamman sales may even go up.

• Members
Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Thanks Maxed , for that expert advice...

I just recently bought a Jamman, but I'm still learning it and I was pretty sure it would do what Hangwire was asking but I didn't want to say, until I was for sure.

I've had several folks come in and trade the RC20 for the Jamman... just because of the USB and flash card/extra memory capability.

I like mine. but I haven't had enough time to really learn it like I want to.

The new rc50 looks nice. but i hate to think that the jamman has already been outdated.... but by the look of it.

I doubt that, the rc-50 from what I heard will sell in the 400.00 - 500.00 range , the rc-20xl will probably drop 50.00.

:wave:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I got the Digitech JamMan and I love it! It's a great tool and the best looper I've ever used. Very easy to use, built like a rock, and has some great features not found on the Boss RC 20XL. I have ProTools setup for recording but for songwriting and practice, this pedal delivers the goods. :thu:

• Members

I have the 20xl and so far have used it just for writing. It's decent, but there is no question that it significantly degrades my tone. I've been thinking of switching to the Jam Man at some point, but only if there is a significant improvement in sound quality. Any comparisons out there?

• Members

I'd like to hear opinions derived from real experiences on how quantize actually HELPS in a live band situation?

Being forced to have my loop start/end points exactly on a click in a band situation is BAD in my experience, not good.

I seriously am curious if you guys are really using a click-based quantize approach in a live setting, and how that's coming off with your drummer and other bandmates?

Archived