Sampling option?

Avram

• Members

As you know, my korg kakamaika (Yes indeed. I decided that from now, the korg triton le will be named: korg kakamaika.

why, you ask? well, because when hear it's name, they compare it to the triton (because it is named TRITON le..), and because it's not as better as the originalstudioextreme triton, it makes it suck...), can be upgraded with the sampling option.

First of all, a few questions:

Would I be able to, for example, sample from a sound that I love in my casio ctk-691 into my Kakamaika? All I need to do is assign each key to the right tone?

And how about velocity? (I mean, if I get a piano sound from my ctk-691, all the velocity sensitivity , will probably won't be in the korg kakamaika..)...

Now, you think I should get it?

I mean, I can get it for something like 230$,maybe even more.. but then again, I can get a used synth for that.... (I guess it won't have sampling, but I still don't know how important sampling is for me...).

In less or a bit more, I can get one of these used synthies:

(I count on dollar exchange: 4.4)

Korg DW-8000 - 170$

Yamaha DX-7 - 227$

Roland JV-30 - 180$

Roland JV-35 - 227$

Yamaha TG-500 - 136$

Korg TR-RACK - 272$

Prices are really cheap.... That's quite nice... (It's all used of course).

You think the sampling option is a better choice then one of these?

• Members

Originally posted by flat earth

buy the DW!!!!

You might like this:

http://www.tritonhaven.com/pics/babe/index.html

.........but then again, you might not
;)

+1:thu:

I agree the best deal is the DW-8K. I think adding the sampling option to your kaka maker is like adding a BMW hood ornament to a childs' tricycle. Also if you don't have sampling experience to draw from, trying to do multisamples and velocity cross-fades could lead to a whole new level of frustration for you.

Ultimately, if you're serious about electronic music, you'll want to learn sampling techniques. I don't think a sampling Kaka is the place to start.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey avram, here's a suggestion. If you love the sound of the DW8000 but wished it had a sampling option, a more robust analog synth engine, and additive synthesis/waveform drawing, get the DSS-1. Yes it's a DW on sterioids with sampling. And it's even cheaper than the DW. Recent eBay auctions ended at around $95 with about $50 shipping. If you have the room (it's a huge synth) and can bear the 41 lbs weight, this is a sure bet to whet your appetite for DW analog sounds and sampling.

Hell, it can do sounds the DW can only dream of. I've been programming some really good patches on this baby and I've compiled a whole disk of these sounds that beats anything in the whole library of disks ever made for it. There's some patches I made on this that rival the sound of a CS80, no kidding there. It's a powerful synth with a very musical, wet squidgy filter.

Only downside is of course the size/weight and that you have to load sound banks via floppy. Lacks portamento and arpeggiator from the DW, but has so much more to make up for it.

• Members

for the cost of the sampling option on the triton get the e-mu emulator x desktop sampler instead. it has an auto sample feature that will send midi data to the synth so it can take multi samples on cue all automatically. it costs about the same as the sampling option on thre triton also and is a much better sampler especially if your lazy.

• Members

By the way, you know that kaka in hebrew means "{censored}", right?

It's actually pretty obvious that you know, because you keep calling it kaka, and you also don't like it... (Let me remind you that I called it Kakamaika), but I just wanna be sure.

• Members

Originally posted by Avram

By the way, you know that kaka in hebrew means "{censored}", right?

It's actually pretty obvious that you know, because you keep calling it kaka, and you also don't like it... (Let me remind you that I called it Kakamaika), but I just wanna be sure.

People actually try to engage you by using your made-up word and now you're correcting them? You sir, are a veritable ninja of social interaction.

Archived