BOSS OD-3 and MD-2 review

• Members

Picked up the Boss OD-3 and MD-2:

OD-3: Wow, this is one great overdrive. Great tube-ish sound, fat tone, good grit. Love it. Feel inspired to play. Better than the following pedals: Ibanez TS-7 & TS-5, DOD 250, Visual Sound Route66 and Zinky true grit. NO mid hump or bass cut here. Just fat dripping overdrive.

MD-2: Not a metal pedal or nu-metal pedal. No scooped mids here. Two tone controls (bass/treble). Like a souped up DS-1. Lotsa gain and distortion. Good classic rock style high gain. Pretty darn good. I tend to keep all the knobs around noon, slight treble cut and gain cut. Good solo sound for high gain with the telecaster and P90 Tele. Doesn't "chugga-chugga" like the metal zone.

:thu:

• Members

I like my od3 but I'd like it to be a little thicker sounding. Any suggestions of other comperable pedals that would give a little more thickness? would a compressor help?

I used to have a {censored}ty 70's twin reverb and a sparkle drive as well and when I clean boosted through the od3 with the sparkle drive it sounded nice and fat. But I sold both the sparkle and twin.

• Members

Originally posted by The Honourable MOC

I like my od3 but I'd like it to be a little thicker sounding. Any suggestions of other comperable pedals that would give a little more thickness? would a compressor help?

I used to have a {censored}ty 70's twin reverb and a sparkle drive as well and when I clean boosted through the od3 with the sparkle drive it sounded nice and fat. But I sold both the sparkle and twin.

The OD-3 is one of the thickest-sounding ODs I've tired. Methinks what you are missing is a boost and a Twin.

Edit: I've never tried an OD-3 with an AC-30; maybe it's not agreeing with the amp?

• Members

Hint HINT! Our new overdrive will borrow some of the neat elements of the OD-3! Watch out for some fatness.

Adding a thicker tone is easy with that wonderful box!

They've got a filter in ther to give it a slightly hollow (think SRV), dare I say scooped (well it is!) sound....so cut that out, and it's thicker.....THEN there is a pair of clipping diodes that actually just muddy up the tone a bit....don't know why they put them there...not needed, the lesser/zen-like design is magic! Can't wait till you guys hear our version....

David Szabados won our prototype during the Katrina Aid auction, but let me keep it to tweak further then pass on to Pink Floyd! :eek:

rk

ps for those home brew builders, watch what FETs you use...you can really make a completely different animal if they aren't correct or at least biased correctly.

rk

Archived