the kinks..the guitar solo..YOU REALLY GOT ME..

seifukusha

• Members

actually there is a little more going on than that..

take tiny amp cut speaker and crank it.

take leads from the speaker of the tiny amp and plug into input jack on vox AC-30.

KINKS LIVE SOUND!!

check Dave Davies site for more info.

• Members

Originally posted by swlabr

actually there is a little more going on than that..

take tiny amp cut speaker and crank it.

take leads from the speaker of the tiny amp and plug into input jack on vox AC-30.

KINKS LIVE SOUND!!

check Dave Davies site for more info.

yes sir, its true...thanks for correcting me, but awesome sound...

kind of sloppy playing, too...

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

yes sir, its true...thanks for correcting me, but awesome sound...

kind of sloppy playing, too...

Archtop will heavy strings will do that to ya. I think the solo is all pretty much round the 3rd and 5th frets but I don't have the tune to hand.

• Members

The common belief is that it wasn't really Dave playing the riff or the solo. It was actually Jimmy Page, who was doing sessions at the time. I can't remember if the reasoning for bringing him in was because of drug/incoherence issues or because the guys in the band weren't getting along. Regardless, it was probably Page. In that case, the setup would be guitar (LP? Dano?)->Rangemaster->amp.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

The common belief is that it wasn't really Dave playing the riff or the solo. It was actually Jimmy Page, who was doing sessions at the time. I can't remember if the reasoning for bringing him in was because of drug/incoherence issues or because the guys in the band weren't getting along. Regardless, it was probably Page. In that case, the setup would be guitar (LP? Dano?)->Rangemaster->amp.

how bout tele > tonebender > supro. or even just skip the pedal and crank what ever amp he was going into

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

That's a serious urban myth. The Kink's were teenagers at the time making their first singles, not drugged out or arguing.

It was recorded before Gary Hurst and Roger Mayer came out with fuzz boxes, so its not a box. And Davies has shown off the amp before.

"The guitar solo on the recording is the source of one of the most persistent and controversial "urban myths" in all of rock and roll. The solo was played by the Kinks' then seventeen year-old lead guitarist Dave Davies, as everyone involved in the July 1964 recording sessions for the track has always maintained. Although an effective and intergral part of the song, it is essentially a speeded up variation of the Louie, Louie guitar solo, and did not represent a great technical or stylistic achievement on par with song's driving three-chord rhythm backing. However, the story has circulated for decades that the solo was played byJimmy Page who later joined The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin. Page was in fact hired by Kinks producer Shel Talmy as a session player to play rhythm guitar on a handful of tracks on the Kink's first album, but this followed the release of You Really Got Me as a single. Rock historian and author Doug Hinman makes a case that the rumor was begun and fostered by the established UK Rhythm and Blues community (which included Page), many of whose members were resentful that an upstart band of teenagers such as the Kinks could produce such a powerful and influential blues-based recording, from seemingly out of nowhere. The rumor gained huge momentum in the 1970's after Page went on to become perhaps the greatest of all heavy metal guitar heroes with the band Led Zeppelin, with his legions of fans eager to believe he played a major role in a prototypical heavy metal song."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Really_Got_Me

Archived