John Mayer Trio effects

Rocksinyourhead

• Members

Tonight I came home from work and being bored off my ass. I went on aol and saw this Live Music thing. It was John Mayer Trio. Now not really diggn' his body is a wonderland bubble gum crap. I came to the conclusion that not only is he a very talented guy, but smart as hell. He put out music for the radio and he put out music that was musically good (if that makes sense). I have now gained respect for him......Now back on topic. His tone was {censored}ing amazing. Does anyone know his effects setup ?

• Members

WELL.... He is using various Custom Fender Strats and the Eric Clapton RI ES-335 into a Keeley Katana Boost, Keeley BD-2, Original TS-808, T-Rex Replica, Way Huge Aqua Puss, and Teese RMC Wah (RMC-2 I THINK). THEN... His amps... A Dumble Overdrive Special head, original 1964 Fender Vibroverb, Two-Rock Custom Reverb Signature head, all into Two-Rock cabinets, a Fender Vibrotone leslie cabinet, and a Victoria reverb unit. The man has tone coming out every pore of his body man. He's amazing. I think he's known he's wanted to do these Trio shows secretly since he started. Hah... He probably said, "I'm going to write a few hits, make a ton of money, and then play the music I want with the best studio musicians and gear in the world..." Hope I helped.

• Members

Ok. now here is the thing. He may seem like a great guitarist.. but when your daddy has enough money and pull to get anyone on the planet to show you the ropes of music.. you come out to be one lame duck. If any of you cats ever get "lucky" enough to attend the same social gathering as john mayer.. he shows up as EVERYONE LOOK AT ME IM JOHN MAYER. The only time i ever ran into him was in june of this year and he was a DOUCHE BAG. it went down something like this-

I was talking to a friend of mine who was playing at the same festival...i didnt even know the {censored}ing guy was there-john mayer walks up..he might have been tripping or something honestly because he was like,

"Hey, Im John Mayer, let me hit that pipe.." and we both didnt know what to say.. finally after about 20 seconds of dead air radio silence i said something along the lines of

"I broke up with girls because they listen to your music, how dare you call yourself the next stevie ray vaughn!" and he comes back with, and i remember this word for word

"Im playing with {censored}ING HERBIE HANCOCK"

and then my friends singer walks up who had a run in with mayer moments before this all went down, and he said

"apparently he does this to everyone he meets? i wonder what he does to girls!"

john mayer didnt say {censored} and just walked away. we were all like.. did that just happen? and the whole night i was like... how the {censored} is john mayer playing with herbie hancock..?!

He may have a dad who can get him guitar lessons and his {censored}ty songs on the radio... but hell never play for a band like particle, or write {censored} like frank zappa- so {censored} him:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Robzilla

he uses a DL4..

When he started his tour with Herbie in STL, one of the guys I worked with got to run up the Hilton or whatever to deliver a Fender Sting Bass to Marcus Miller or whatever bass god was playing with them.

He got to eat sushi with Mayer and he said Mayer's pedalboard had a Fulltone 69' and the Corish and a few others that I can't remember. It might have just been for the tour since Herbie was appearently being a big control freak over the gear everyone was playing.

Appearently, Mayer's custom shop Strats were amazing and his Signature Strat is nothing like them.

• Members

Originally posted by hurleysurf

WELL.... He is using various Custom Fender Strats and the Eric Clapton RI ES-335 into a Keeley Katana Boost, Keeley BD-2, Original TS-808, T-Rex Replica, Way Huge Aqua Puss, and Teese RMC Wah (RMC-2 I THINK). THEN... His amps... A Dumble Overdrive Special head, original 1964 Fender Vibroverb, Two-Rock Custom Reverb Signature head, all into Two-Rock cabinets, a Fender Vibrotone leslie cabinet, and a Victoria reverb unit.

So that preppy snot really does subscribe to the "Tone is in the Fingers" addage :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Christ, how could anybody not sound good playing through that rig....just playing a open E string over and over would sound great.

• Members

I dig the live CD. Good stuff. I caught him on Letterman. Pretty good. Nothing great.

His rig is amazing.

He may be an ass, I don't know. Don't care.

If I concerned myself with whether or not artists I listen to are idiots I probably would have to throw away half of my cd collection.

Most of them are intellectual morons.

• Members

I don't know how much his parents helped in getting him a record deal, but I do know the John Mayer went to that music concetorium in Boston. Berkley? I want to say Berkley ..

Anyway, that's a pretty amazing school, and I wouldn't be suprised if some graduates there (the attractive ones) have suits with contracts waiting for them on graduation. A lot of radio superstars came from that school.

I think the guys got great tone, and I think he writes catchy songs, which is cool. Also, I once watched a 30-minute pilot he did for MTV or VH1 or something last year, in which he was a pretty big asshole to fans with hillarious consequences. Hot girls, and nerdy guys like you alike. Riot. He also went into a bar in Nashville with some washed-up rapper, both dressed as cowboys. Oh, and apparently he used to periodically dress up as a giant chicken and hang out with concert-goers in the parking lots outside the stadiums before shows. I think that's also pretty funny.

• Members

Originally posted by MIDIstruction

I don't know how much his parents helped in getting him a record deal, but I do know the John Mayer went to that music concetorium in Boston. Berkley? I want to say Berkley ..

Anyway, that's a pretty amazing school, and I wouldn't be suprised if some graduates there (the attractive ones) have suits with contracts waiting for them on graduation. A lot of radio superstars came from that school.

I think the guys got great tone, and I think he writes catchy songs, which is cool. Also, I once watched a 30-minute pilot he did for MTV or VH1 or something last year, in which he was a pretty big asshole to fans with hillarious consequences. Hot girls, and nerdy guys like you alike. Riot. He also went into a bar in Nashville with some washed-up rapper, both dressed as cowboys. Oh, and apparently he used to periodically dress up as a giant chicken and hang out with concert-goers in the parking lots outside the stadiums before shows. I think that's also pretty funny.

Actually, I saw that too. I thought that was great, esecially the chicken suit. Kind of remember a story I remember my father telling me about Chuck Berry grilling steak sandwiches outside the venues he was playing at and nobody knew he was the same guy they came to see.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

So that preppy snot really does subscribe to the "Tone is in the Fingers" addage
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: Christ, how could anybody not sound good playing through that rig....just playing a open E string over and over would sound great.

Tell me you wouldn't play the same if you had the dough. The gear doesn't make the player, but I'd sure as hell take a Two Rock over a Peavy... :D

Archived