Recommend me some good shoegaze bands

StrangeDay

• Members

I have the entire Slowdive discography, I believe. And right now I'm listening to two Bethany Curve albums...

I know you guys have different ideas on what "shoegaze" is, but I think of that style as atmospheric rock, spacey ambient noise full of delayed guitars and vocals full of reverb, just to give you my idea of how I see the style. Thanks!!

• Members

My Bloody Valentine comes quickly to mind. Check out "Loveless" and "(Isn't Anything)" if you're into extremely wel written shoegazer stuff.

Some purists might chide me, but I think the first two Get Up Kids albums are fantastically good.

The Spacemen 3 are an awesome band. Check out "The Perfect Prescription," which was written to mimic the stages of a hallucinogenic drug trip.

Are the Smiths shoegazer? Probably not, but they freakin' rule. Get your hands on "The Queen Is Dead" or "Hatful of Hollow."

The Stone Roses are fantastic. Get their self-titled debut.

You might like some early Blur stuff. Check out Leisure or Modern Life is Rubbish.

The Manic Street Preachers might be the best of the lot, next to My Bloody Valentine or the Smiths. Check out "This is My Truth Tell Me Yours," or "Holy Bible." Every one of their albums is killer.

Let me know if you check any of these bands out.

• Members

I'd consider Team Sleep shoegaze, and fully recommend their album. It's one of my favorite albums in a long time.

Though I should warn that it's not the most 'traditional' shoegaze album, if only because some of the tracks rely on drum machines rather than a real drummer.

They use a real drummer live, though. It's quite awesome.

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

I'd consider Team Sleep shoegaze, and fully recommend their album. It's one of my favorite albums in a long time.

Though I should warn that it's not the most 'traditional' shoegaze album, if only because some of the tracks rely on drum machines rather than a real drummer.

They use a real drummer live, though. It's quite awesome.

Team sleep is more trip-hop (I love the album, btw).

Yeah, I see that people really do have different ideas on what shoegaze is. i don't think it means "electronic" I think it means atmospheric, like washes of noise.

Smiths a "shoegaze" band...far from it.

Cocteau twins, probably. I love the "Heaven or Las Vegas" album.

• Members

Autolux is fabulous

The Wedding Present is not exactly shoe gaze but it's in the same ballpark. Anything by them but Seamonsters or Bizarro are my favorite followed by George Best. Seamonsters is the closest they ever got to being shoegazers.

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

My Bloody Valentine comes quickly to mind. Check out "Loveless" and "(Isn't Anything)" if you're into extremely wel written shoegazer stuff.

Some purists might chide me, but I think the first two Get Up Kids albums are fantastically good.

The Spacemen 3 are an awesome band. Check out "The Perfect Prescription," which was written to mimic the stages of a hallucinogenic drug trip.

Are the Smiths shoegazer? Probably not, but they freakin' rule. Get your hands on "The Queen Is Dead" or "Hatful of Hollow."

The Stone Roses are fantastic. Get their self-titled debut.

You might like some early Blur stuff. Check out Leisure or Modern Life is Rubbish.

The Manic Street Preachers might be the best of the lot, next to My Bloody Valentine or the Smiths. Check out "This is My Truth Tell Me Yours," or "Holy Bible." Every one of their albums is killer.

Let me know if you check any of these bands out.

i dont know a lot about shoegaze, but the smiths are nowhere near it. they were just a really fantastic pop band.

• Members
Originally posted by StrangeDay

Team sleep is more trip-hop (I love the album, btw).

Well that's all that matters, then. (That you love the album. :D )

Though, while songs like King Diamond are definitely more on the trip-hop side, a lot of other songs like Ever (Foreign Flag) and Our Ride To The Rectory have dreamy/airy vocals along with washes of effect-smothered guitars that make me want to call it shoegaze. :D While other songs like 'Your Skull is Red' seem to just be massive walls of sound, if not a direct nod towards Pumpkins/MBV.

Oh well, still love that album regardless of it's mixed and confusing genre's. :D

• Members

Everything mentioned +

Chapterhouse
Adorable
Kitchens of Distinction
early Boo Radleys
Hum
Lush
Curve
Catherine Wheel
Love Spirals Downward
Flying Saucer Attack