Jump to content

tell me about the old DOD 680 analog delay


Recommended Posts

  • Members

i have been very curious about these old DOD pedals lately, specifically the analog delay, and the analog chorus. they come in a pretty big enclosure (which i like) and seem to be good quality, and get good reviews and go for reasonable prices. i have been trying out a deluxe memory man and im not a big fan of it, the delays are still pretty harsh, i like my reel echo better, but i want that analog adjustability.

 

it seems like the old old DOD pedals are really great and overlooked due to the stigma that has been put on the brand by the junk they have put out for the last 10+ years.

 

tell me every little thing you know! i want one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I own one and i have put a review here on HC...check it for details...

 

it is a very warm delay, very organic...what i dig is the 2 outputs have their own level knobs, so you can direct them to 2 amps and mix them at taste...very cool.

 

The only "problem" is there is an audible hiss at longer delay settings, but on the short to medium settings, it's clean.

 

Overall one of the best slapback to short echoes pedal i have tried.

 

And they look so cooool:o

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by woodsmandan

I own one and i have put a review here on HC...check it for details...


it is a very warm delay, very organic...what i dig is the 2 outputs have their own level knobs, so you can direct them to 2 amps and mix them at taste...very cool.


The only "problem" is there is an audible hiss at longer delay settings, but on the short to medium settings, it's clean.


Overall one of the best slapback to short echoes pedal i have tried.


And they look so cooool:o

 

how bad is the hiss? and how long is the delay, i read the reviews and people seem to be guessing, one review says about 300ms then another says about a full second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
Originally posted by amanonfire



how bad is the hiss? and how long is the delay, i read the reviews and people seem to be guessing, one review says about 300ms then another says about a full second.

any time someone says that it hisses at longer delay times, the #1 reason why is that the internal trim pots are set wrong, or too long and the sampling rate (?) has lowered to the point of adding that noise...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by hangwire

any time someone says that it hisses at longer delay times, the #1 reason why is that the internal trim pots are set wrong, or too long and the sampling rate (?) has lowered to the point of adding that noise...

 

aaaah... i :love: trim pots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Maybe my unit is faulty (like i said in my review, it never totally turn off, so i would thik so...)...but i tweeked the trim pot for hours without ever getting rid of the hiss completely. it got better, but it still hisses.

 

But this is by no means a really bad hiss, it is still usable, and the pedal is no less a marvel for this. It was just worth mentionning.

 

For the delay time, i guess around 300-350ms...

 

If you find one at a good price, grab it before i do !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

I think it is the best tape-delay sim ever in a pedal.

 

I had a guy come over here and check it out who is a 40+ country phenom. He has owned echoplexes galore and a few echorecs.

 

His jaw about dropped through the floor. It wasn't exact, of course, but it was close enough for him to find and buy two. He wanted to stop carting his 'plexes around and he found something almost as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by woodsmandan

ok now, i suspect there will be a sudden raise in price for those soon, so go get one while they're cheap !!

actually, they're already on the expensive side. $125 AT LEAST!

And I've seen 'm go for $150-175 lots of times...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon


actually, they're already on the expensive side. $125 AT LEAST!

And I've seen 'm go for $150-175 lots of times...

 

DOD sucks, these pedals blow, i just played one. i wouldnt give more than 60 bucks for one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pm me if you are selling one for 60 bucks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

well, the value of things is so subjective...i would not sell my 680 for 200$, and i would never pay 200$ for a DM-3...but that's just me and my ears...60$ for an analog delay?...get a DOD fx-90..

 

so you played one and did not like it that much ? what exactly was wrong with it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by woodsmandan

well, the value of things is so subjective...i would not sell my 680 for 200$, and i would never pay 200$ for a DM-3...but that's just me and my ears...60$ for an analog delay?...get a DOD fx-90..


so you played one and did not like it that much ? what exactly was wrong with it ?

 

i was joking, acting as if my negative remarks would drive down the price.

 

i seriously have not played one, but i am GASsing for one badly at the moment. and 120 is still fair considering what pedals like the diamond memory lane go for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by nosferatu123

i did hear that the chips were prone to go bad..

modify it to take a more common analog BBD chip, instead of the ultra-rare SAD Reticon 4096.

I'm having it done to mine. The 'sound' of the delay is all the filtering. One could go so far and use a DIGITAL delay chip and the DOD 680 would still sound warm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon


modify it to take a more common analog BBD chip, instead of the ultra-rare SAD Reticon 4096.

I'm having it done to mine. The 'sound' of the delay is all the filtering. One could go so far and use a DIGITAL delay chip and the DOD 680 would still sound warm.

 

 

Damn, i didn't know that... Thanks man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Originally posted by light years

the guy i bought mine said one day it let out this loud squeal and then no more. i also have to fix the switch. is it worth the fix? i paid 40 for it.

 

if not, ill take it off your hands and try to fix it myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...