Yamaha AN1X

Avram

• Members

I didn't use AN200's effects when I recorded my demos on my site. The programming side is already deep enough for me at that time.

But AN200's chorus and overdrive effects are very good additions to make the sound more powerful. As AN1x has more than AN200, I suppose AN1x's effects would be good enough.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

and since an1x have 2 effects instead of 1 in AN200, will make pads sound more like a pad!

The An1X has one EFX unit called Variation (there are some choruses in there), which feeds into a 3 band EQ which feeds into a Delay Unit which feeds into a Reverb Unit.

There is an amp overdrive in the synth section which sounds very good (though subtle) to me.

Personally, I think it sounds fine dry with a touch of delay. I never thought the effects were particularly good.

The synth does pads very well. It does the mellow oberheim Lyle Mays kind of thing as well as any number of more shimmery things. The edge parameter is the key to this.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

I wouldn't say it's any deeper than it's competitors considering it's competitors are pretty much ms2000, jp-8000, lead 2, virus a

First, something about its competitors. Those are JP-8000 and Nord Lead 1. Thats when AN1x came out. Not MS-2000, not Lead 2, not Virus-A. (although AN1x can whip their asses pretty good, but that's not topic right now).

Clipboard01.gif

In the image above you can see an example of osc sync. But the kind of setup that is not possible on JP-8000. First, you do not need to sacrifice VCO2 to achieve a sync. When engaged, sync function creates another oscillator inside of VCO1 called VCO1 sub (so you get extra osc). Then take a look at Sync PMOD (down right). In this example i choose pitch modulation to be applied to the Slave, but i can choose Master instead (as on image below) or i can choose both. The JP-8000 and many other VA synths would give you just one choice here.

Then AN1x offers me to choose the FM source (not many VA synths in that price range offer that). It can be classic FM with VCO2 (as on image below), VCO1, VCO1SUB (as on image above), ENV's and LFO's (we are getting into modular territory, but we are not finished yet!). Then there is aditional FM source (marked with FM SRC1) that modulates the depth. After you choose the source, that's when fun really starts....

Now take a look at FM signal! I can apply it to Master (as it is on the image above - that circled M-S area), or i can apply it just to Slave (as it is on image below), or i can apply it to both. Again, you wont find this feature on many VA's. If you want you can always switch off sync and use classic FM modulation.

Clipboard02.gif

Then you got additional oscillator for noise. On JP you need to sacrifice one of the oscillators to get the noise. And then one important feature: Ring modulation (AM) behaves like additional oscillator (tone source). Because in the mixer section you can mix it with the VCO1 and VCO2 so you get 3 tone sources at the same time + noise. Of course you can always silence both VCO's in the mixer and only listen to AM signal (a classic way).

Then there is the free envelope generator (an additional envelope that you can apply to modulate anything). And that is not one, but 4 envelopes you can hand-draw or use basic shape presets. The editor (shown in image below) also features tools for smoothing, adding noise, scaling etc. With enough time, you can do anything you imagine with this editor as it can modulate any parameter of the synth. You can do any sound change, any modulation, all precisely edited with this envelope. Only limit is your imagination.

Clipboard03.gif

The only reason why i bought JP-8080 was because of its external sound input processing which is outstanding, however, i would never buy JP-8000, as i can do it all on AN1x. Only minus on AN1x would go to user interface that just isn't good. You can loose 30 minutes what you normally do in 10 minutes on JP-8000 or Nord 1. Programming of AN1x without an editor can be very frustrating. That's sad, because with "knobs on" for most of parameters it would be much popular than the other two.

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

and since an1x have 2 effects instead of 1 in AN200

AN1x have 4 effect processors.

AN1x also features Dual mode. In that mode it is like having two AN-200. Polyphony is reduced from 10 to 5, but you can play two different sounds at the same time - perfect for rich pads.

• Members

Nice job, Don! I'm sure it took awhile to do this. I just learned a few things about the AN1x that I wasn't aware of. And the absence of arrogance this morning is most refreshing. :)

Does the pitch of those sub-VCOs stay the same as the main ones? If it does, can you still get "out there" sync sweeps? (If the pitch envelope has enough range to it, you probably can).

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Does the pitch of those sub-VCOs stay the same as the main ones? If it does, can you still get "out there" sync sweeps? (If the pitch envelope has enough range to it, you probably can).

The pitch envelope can be routed to Oscillator 1 in which case it will modulate both the master and slave.

Or alternatively, it can be routed to the slave only to create a pitch sweep. Additional sources for sync pitch are the filter envelope or either of the two lfo's. Or any of the four free envelope generators, which can run free or be note triggered. So it does your traditional sync sweeps and a lot more.

Out there sweeps?

Well you can get into the crinkle range, where the sound appears to disappear and then reappear as you pull the pitch down. But the sweetest thing about sync on this synch is when you combine it with the edge parameter. The edge parameter allows you to round off the waveforms, which is like lowpass filtering each oscillator separately. At one end of the range it's a saw/pules etc. At the other end it's a sine. But the sync edges will remain sharp. So there is a real flaring of tones when you do sync sweeps that you get with this machine that you don't get when you simply low pass filter a synced saw.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Tusks

But the sweetest thing about sync on this synch is when you combine it with the edge parameter.

And the most important, with edge you can emulate raw oscillators from various analog synths. Saw wave on Juno 60 and Prophet 5 are not the same - each synth has different wave. So you engage the edge function and "shape" your saw (or square) wave. Of course, 100% real emulations are not possible, because you don't have the same filter - however, edge function is very useful to - at least get close. The JP-80x0 series also feature shape function. However, it is more versatile than the one on AN1x.

Originally posted by mrcpro

Nice job, Don! I'm sure it took awhile to do this. I just learned a few things about the AN1x that I wasn't aware of.

Heh, not big deal because these images (and part of the text) are prepared for my review and demos page of Yamaha AN1-x.

• Members

Tusks and Don, and others: Reading your posts makes me want to learn more about programming. Are there any books or resourcces to teach me about it? I can twiddle (virtual) knobs all day, but that method will take me decades to grasp what is actually going on.

Any advice is appreciated.

aL

• Members

Originally posted by Tuba Four

Tusks and Don, and others: Reading your posts makes me want to learn more about programming. Are there any books or resourcces to teach me about it? I can twiddle (virtual) knobs all day, but that method will take me decades to grasp what is actually going on.

Any advice is appreciated.

aL

The AN1x-Edit editor program for the AN1x is free for download here.

http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/an1x/s_an1xed.htm

It is one of the most advanced editors I have seen and I couldn't imagine programming an AN1x without it. Yeah the 6 knobs and modulation matrix are admirable, but this editor has 130 knobs. It would be impossible and costly to build a tactile interface with 130 knobs. It is also best to program the Free EG from the editor.

The AN1x synthesis engine is way more advanced than the JP-8000 or Nord Lead. You can program an JP and Nord Lead from it's interface (30 knobs max will allow you to), but you could not build a cheap interface with enough knobs to satisfy programming an AN1x.

Also the AN1x sounds more Moogy to me than the JP and Nord synths. Excellent for leads, bass, analog strings, Rhodes electric piano, evolving textures and weird modulation madness. If you're into Depeche Mode, Erasure, early New Wave or even Aphex Twin or Musik, you will be happy having this synth.

• Members

Hey Al,

It's a coincidence. I was just enjoying Tuba Four earlier today. And I enjoying that lush pad and the rhodes on " the Garden."

Here are few things I've done to try to learn fast.

1) Took a college class

2) Studied the SOS articles

3) Picked up a couple of books

4) Hung out with synth veterans on the net

5) Used the knobs more in real time.

I don't have one knob per function synth, but I once went to a jam with a simple analog patch on my modular. And I managed to play a number of different things off that one routing. I learned a lot from that experience, especially about ADSR's. I've been at this for fifteen years and I am still learning. I wish I had invested in a one knob per function synth earlier.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

• Members

Jerry,

It's nice to see you around on the net. Glad you're enjoying the music we make!!!!

Thanks for the tips -- I have wanted many times to invest in a one knob per function synth, but so far, I haven't found the synth that would give me everything I like about the AN without breaking the bank. I am not willing to give up aftertouch, or the 5 octaves of real estate. So, unless I buy a VA synth in the $1500 range and up, I am relegated to the An1x editor...

I have my hopes to maybe pick up either a rack unit or wait for some prices to come down... We'll see!!!

PS. How's the northeast going for you?

aL

• Members

Avram,

I don't know the answer but I can tell you that I bought mine used on ebay a couple of years ago, and everything works perfectly so far... The only thing I think I might do is get a second power supply to make sure that if it goes out or overheats, I have another one handy.

aL

• Members

Al,

I am really enjoying connecticut. It's quite beautiful around here. If you are in the neighborhood, I hope you will conect. What are you using that AN1X for these days? And what keyboard are you using for those tracks on your web site?

Avram, I wouldn't want you to take a general lesson from my experience with the ribbon controller. I used it quite intensively for pitch bends, vibrato's etc. And I would dig into that pressure dimension quite violently. So you could write it off to abuse. Trouble is if I get another one, I will want to abuse it also. :thu:

Best,

Jerry

• Members

Jerry,

If I'm ever up in that neck of the wood I'll touch base for sure... Glad you're enjoying it up there!!!!

I am using the An1x these days as a live controller for triggering organs off my Nord Stage 88, and for Zawinul type square/pulse wave leads and other OB type leads. I will be using some pads that I found posted on the web that I really like a lot.

I am also hoping to start integrating arps and sequences into my music. We'll see how that goes.

For the tracks on the website I used a combination of these keyboards: Yamaha S80, Roland Xp50, Alesis QSR (the lead that is doubled with the organ patch on Tuba Four comes from the QSR), pianos are the Bardstown Bosendorfer in Kontakt format. The phaser EP on The Garden is a stock S80 patch. The rest of the EP's are from the Motif ES. There are probably some Novation A Station sounds in there. I think the lead sound on The Garden is from the Novation. The EP on Peter's Shadow is from the S80. The pads are mostly different patches that are overdubbed. I also used some Mach V stuff. I wish that one single patch from the keyboards I had at the time could reproduce these swirling moving pads. But, alas, it had to be several takes of different patches.

Most organ sounds were from the Xp50's plug in board (Keyboards of the 60's and 70's)!!!

This project has grown from an all keyboards and midi drum project to a full blown band gig. So, as you can imagine this is my little baby and I am very stoked about where it's gone so far.

Thanks for asking.

aL

• Members

Originally posted by Avram

?

You know what, recently I turned on my AN1x and for some reason all the D and Ab keys would not sound. I kept whacking the front panel (especially the left side by the wheels) and the notes came back.

Earlier today the same thing happened again, so I opened the thing and wiggled one of the keyboard ribbon cables while holding one of the dead notes and it cambe back. Turns out the header had come loose and so I got a soldering iron and that fixed that.

• Members

A couple of things:

1. Sync

There is a "hidden" third oscillator coupled to OSC #1. You can hard sync OSC #1 to the hidden oscillator leaving OSC #2 free for other stuff if you like, but you can also sync OSC #1 to OSC #2 in the traditional way.

2. LFOs and MIDI

Yep, the two LFOs do not synch to MIDI but that's OK, the FOUR Free EGs will and you can use them to draw your own LFO waveshapes. If you like to use LFOs with S&H waveforms, you can cheat and use the step sequencer to create S&H-like effects that synch to MIDI.

3. Editor

The editor is especially useful for programming the step sequencer and the Free EGs as it lets you do so graphically. It also provides librarian functions making it easy to manage all your patches. It's the best of both worlds...you can program as deep as you like from the front panel but can fall back on the editor for any functions where the large display is useful. The editor also has a "randomize" mode (and you can control what parameters get randomized) which can be used as a springboard to creating new sounds.

Archived