donovan!

doug deeper

• Members

Donovan as in "Way down below the ocean..."? Is he still alive? :eek: Still making music? :eek: Still sitting on a cushion in the middle of the stage? :eek:

I used to be a big fan way, way back. Haven't listened to him in years... "Tis then when the hurdy gurdy man comes singing songs of love..."

• Members

if he's anything like he was last time i saw him, about 77 or so in new haven, prepare to get ROCKED....
i was amazed at how hard he rocked out...and how cool that tremolo -o-o-o-o-o-o of his voice is in a coliseum...
and he had mick ronson playing guitar, how cool was that??
he did way less hippie stuff, and more {censored} like sunshine superman, but rocked up...
he was almost as good as the headliners (classic yes "fragile" lineup)....enjoy!!!

• Members

yeah im {censored}ing psyched! (pun intended?)
im also going to see the chocolate watch band on weds!
i have to leave my show early though.
(im playing with islands (the new unicorns band) that night if any boston folks would like to drop by (cambridge ywca).
word.

• Members

I saw Donovan 8-12(?) years ago when he opened for Paul Simon in Philadelphia (my bride bought us tickets for my birthday). On that night he was truly great. Oh, and Michael Brecker was a featured artist during Paul Simon's set. Wonderful evening of music. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by doug deeper

yeah im {censored}ing psyched! (pun intended?)

im also going to see the chocolate watch band on weds!

i have to leave my show early though.

(im playing with islands (the new unicorns band) that night if any boston folks would like to drop by (cambridge ywca).

word.

They're still touring, too? Damn, I really need to go to more shows (of nobody in particular).

Originally posted by pinkjimiphoton

if he's anything like he was last time i saw him, about 77 or so in new haven, prepare to get ROCKED....

i was amazed at how hard he rocked out...and how cool that tremolo -o-o-o-o-o-o of his voice is in a coliseum...

and he had mick ronson playing guitar, how cool was that??

he did way less hippie stuff, and more {censored} like sunshine superman, but rocked up...

he was almost as good as the headliners (classic yes "fragile" lineup)....enjoy!!!

Did he do any albums with Ronson like he did with Jeff Beck in the 60s?

• Members

There is a Donovan CD box set that has just been released and he recently had an art exhibition at the Govinda Gallery in Washington DC.Also Catch the Wind,which is a pretty great tune,is in that car ad and been used in a TV show.

• Members
Originally posted by capnbringdown

They're still touring, too? Damn, I really need to go to more shows (of nobody in particular).

this is there first show in a really long time. just so happens its right up the street from me and my label mates are opening (it should be me!!!:mad: )

• Members

I loved Donovan when I was a kid. Sheesh, that was late sixties. He was considered very cool, in a flower power sort of way.

Let's see....

Atlantis
Hurdy Gurdy Man (Jimmy Page played guitar on that)
Sunshine Superman

A band I was in about ten years ago did a killer version of SS, which is essentially just a blues song. Try it sometime.

Archived