Merry Christmas - Behringer Bigg Muff

• Members

I've been playing with mine for about an hour and here's what I know :-

The case is metal. It looks like 1mm aluminium. I reckon i could bend it if I jumped on it but it's much stronger than any plastic case.

It has a true bypass switch that looks impressive until you open it up. The switch is actually made from a spring, some metalwork and a small PCB. However, it would be easy to replace with a better switch if required.

The main PCB uses surface mount discrete component. This is not a modeller, it's a genuine analog device. The surface mount components are too small to identify but I counted 4 transistors and 4 diodes - the same as the original Big Muff.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/bmpsc.gif

I have to assume that this is a pretty accurate clone in terms of the schematic.

The pots are pcb mounted and feel a little fragile. I don't think it would pay to land your Doc Martens on them too often.

Soundwise it's great! There is nothing cheap sounding about it. It does the the full range from light trebly sparkle to Santana style violin. Max out all three controls and it starts to turn filthy. There is a high degree of signal boost available from the level control.

I think it's well worth the money. It's not as well made as the EH but it's a lot better built than a Dano or Ibanez Tonelock and the sound quality is spot on, IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by grob-bucket

I've been playing with mine for about an hour and here's what I know :-

The case is metal. It looks like 1mm aluminium. I reckon i could bend it if I jumped on it but it's much stronger than any plastic case.

It has a true bypass switch that looks impressive until you open it up. The switch is actually made from a spring, some metalwork and a small PCB. However, it would be easy to replace with a better switch if required.

The main PCB uses surface mount discrete component. This is not a modeller, it's a genuine analog device. The surface mount components are too small to identify but I counted 4 transistors and 4 diodes - the same as the original Big Muff.

I have to assume that this is a pretty accurate clone in terms of the schematic.

The pots are pcb mounted and feel a little fragile. I don't think it would pay to land your Doc Martens on them too often.

Soundwise it's great! There is nothing cheap sounding about it. It does the the full range from light trebly sparkle to Santana style violin. Max out all three controls and it starts to turn filthy. There is a high degree of signal boost available from the level control.

I think it's well worth the money. It's not as well made as the EH but it's a lot better built than a Dano or Ibanez Tonelock and the sound quality is spot on, IMHO.

Thanks for the quick review. Can you please tell me (us) what the noise level is like briefly? Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Hemispheres

Thanks for the quick review. Can you please tell me (us) what the noise level is like briefly? Thanks.

Hard to tell about the noise. I've got it parked next to a 21" crt monitor and I'm testing it with a Strat - possibly the worst noise combination going.

There's some pickup if I wind up the level and the treble but no more than I would expect. I'll have a play with the monitor off and report back.

• Members

I haven't played a real Big Muff for over ten years so I guess I remember the older ones :) It sounds very similar but seems to have more gain than I remember. It definitely retains the timbre of the guitar until you move into heavy distortion.

Noise levels are actually pretty impressive. With the monitor switched off it became clear that all the HF noise was being picked up by the Strat. There is some 60Hz hum noticeable when the pedal is on. Using the VU meters on my EMU soundcard software it seems that the hum is around -45db. I have adjusted the gain so that the initial (highly compressed) pick attack is around 0db.

Archived