Marshall Gov'Nor 2 Plus?

kannibul

• Members

Is this a good pedal, compared to a Boss SD-1?

The clips on MF's site sound good - but, heck anything can sound good with a bit of majic at the console.

I'd probably use it in front of my amps (sig) and possibly direct if I can get away with it.

Let me know your thoughts!

• Members

i love this pedal. i actually use a SD-1 as a booster for this pedal at the moment. its much more veratile than the SD-1. you can turn the gain up all of the way, and put the bass and treble at about 6 o'clock, and then put the deep and mid around full, and it's a great sound. or you can turn the deep and bass down, and put the gain at about half way, and that sounds just like a SD-1 running at full. also, if you turn all of the knobs on the Guv'nor to full, it sounds like a fuzz face almost. the Guv'nor definitely sounds better the louder the amp is.

the best for the price, and i'd say a really great pedal no matter hwat you compare it too. there's somebody around here selling one for $40.

• Members

Originally posted by ScreamCage

i love this pedal. i actually use a SD-1 as a booster for this pedal at the moment. its much more veratile than the SD-1. you can turn the gain up all of the way, and put the bass and treble at about 6 o'clock, and then put the deep and mid around full, and it's a great sound. or you can turn the deep and bass down, and put the gain at about half way, and that sounds just like a SD-1 running at full. also, if you turn all of the knobs on the Guv'nor to full, it sounds like a fuzz face almost. the Guv'nor definitely sounds better the louder the amp is.

the best for the price, and i'd say a really great pedal no matter hwat you compare it too. there's somebody around here selling one for $40.

I've already got a Marshall Amp - however, I've been thinking about selling it - and I wonder if this can be a suitable replacement when used through another amp or used direct.

I guess I might be the only one that can say for sure - but, I figure this would be a good starting point eh?

How's it sound for lower-gain output?

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

How's it sound for lower-gain output?

it's a bassy pedal, and i get the feeling that it's designed to be that way, but it can be trebly. now, a certain amount of treble is contained in the gain, so when you turn the gain down, you do have to turn the treble up a bit. overall, it's still very good when you turn the gain down, but it's best point is in the overdrive.

as far as replacing your Marshall amp with it, i don't think i can help you very much. i've never owned a Marshall amp before ( i know, i just haven't lived yet, have i), but it does have a Marshall sound. at least from what i've heard come out of Marshalls, that is. as long as you get a good amp, i think that it'd work out if you sold your Marshall and replaced it with this.

• Members

I had a Marshall Guv 2 and an SD1. Individually, I didn't like either of them, but together they sounded amazing. I got some real Jonny Greenwod lead tones. The SD-1 really cuts bass, but the Guvnor adds loads. Somehow that worked together rather well.

• Members

I had one, but didn't like it

It just didn't do it for me, i tried it as a boost & in other applications and was very dissapointed

I much prefer the SD-1 over it.

...then again i had the original Gov pedal (heaps better) so i guess i'm a bit biased

• Members

Originally posted by PGS412

I had one, but didn't like it

It just didn't do it for me, i tried it as a boost & in other applications and was very dissapointed

I much prefer the SD-1 over it.

...then again i had the original Gov pedal (heaps better) so i guess i'm a bit biased

I agree... But then, it thought it an OK pedal in the right application - ie if you have a 1x12 and you want it to sound like a cracnked stack...

• Members
Originally posted by anindrew

kannibul,

You can buy mine and find out how it is. It's one of the best gain pedals I've used, in my opinion!
:)

Thanks - but, if I get it from GC or MF, I can return it :)

No offense mang - even then it may be after X-mas before I make any kind of move.

Budget = fragile at the moment :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived