OT: drum solo; jrak style

vamp hunter d

• Members

Originally posted by Flaat

..and people always say drumming is so easy..
:)
It's a hard instrument to master.
:thu:

Very true! I'm not "technically" drumming though, just using NI battery and controlling the sounds with this:

oxygen8.jpg

good thing is I can quantize, although it doesn't always work when your doing beats with a swing.

• Members

Originally posted by D.

Very true! I'm not "technically" drumming though, just using NI battery and controlling the sounds with this:

oxygen8.jpg

good thing is I can quantize, although it doesn't always work when your doing beats with a swing.

Oh, yeah it gets a bit harder with those. I've done some drumprogramming myself. The keyboards are good for laying down the basics, but then you have to go in and manually edit the exact placement, and maybe edit a bit on velocity aswell.

Quantizing sucks for drums. The hard thing about drum programming is trying to make it sound like a "real" drummer, and quantizing will not help you there. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Flaat

Oh, yeah it gets a bit harder with those. I've done some drumprogramming myself. The keyboards are good for laying down the basics, but then you have to go in and manually edit the exact placement, and maybe edit a bit on velocity aswell.

Quantizing sucks for drums. The hard thing about drum programming is trying to make it sound like a "real" drummer, and quantizing will not help you there.
:)

yeah, that's kinda what i'm doing now. it sounds too robotic to sequence drums (unless of course they're electronic drums) but in fruity loops I can manually quantize each hit and change their velocities, and other parameters. It is time consuming though if you do it like this, but the best sounding IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by D.

yeah, that's kinda what i'm doing now. it sounds too robotic to sequence drums (unless of course they're electronic drums) but in fruity loops I can manually quantize each hit and change their velocities, and other parameters. It is time consuming though if you do it like this, but the best sounding IMO.

I know exactly what you mean. I've done some drum stuff with fruity loops and everything just seems so thought out and predicatable. I didn't have the patience to sit down and manually edit every single drum hit with velocity and sound, and that's probably why. The key board above looks like a neat way to manually key them in and add a "human" effect to the sound. Even better would be to find a real drummer, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

I know exactly what you mean. I've done some drum stuff with fruity loops and everything just seems so thought out and predicatable. I didn't have the patience to sit down and manually edit every single drum hit with velocity and sound, and that's probably why. The key board above looks like a neat way to manually key them in and add a "human" effect to the sound. Even better would be to find a real drummer, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

I hear ya

I was thinking though, you can get midi controllers like this that you could use with real sticks and further liven up drumming:

products_dkat.jpg

they also have kick midi controllers on the market I believe as well. But, that pad above (drumkat) for example is qute pricey. ROland makes one called the octapad you can get pretty cheap, but I dont know how it stands up agains the Kat one.

Problem is though, I dont really know how to configure fruity loops to where you can use more than 1 midi controller at a time. I can do it in reason quite easily....

Archived