Soldering Question

IAmAScientist

• Members

Ok, so I just bought a Weller WLC100 Soldering Station and I was trying to use it to solder this pedal. I also got some new solder, the 63/37 water-soluble variety instead of the regular 60/40. When I was desoldering it worked fine, but when I attempted to solder new joints on the board, the solder stuck to the tip of the gun and won't come off. Now it won't solder anything at all. Is the problem the gun or the solder? Any advice on getting the solder off?

• Members

Originally posted by Willie-Mctell

let it get hot and then touch it on the copper desolder braid, or even steel wool works. I usually use old scrub pads.

I don't know about the exact model you have. Are you sure uit's a gun? or is it more like a big pencil? Those guns usually get too hot.

Its the pencil shape. I used the term gun too loosely. The tip is flat edged, like a flathead screwdriver, with a little elevated point in the middle of the tip. Do you think the metal is sticking because I'm using a different kind of solder?

• Members

I never used 63/37 before. I actually just bought some this weekend after reading the recomendation here. My old soldering iron has the original tip. ..Pointed with no flat edges.

Maybe the solders don't mix well? Maybe I'll try it before bed tonight, otherwise it wont be till tomorrow when I try it.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I use 63/37 solder with no problems... never use an abrasive on your tip... the scoring will make more solder stick to it and wear the tin coating. heat it back up and wipe it on a wet sponge

LOL - that must be why my soldering tip is so tarnished, and only works on one portion of the tip.

I have used only this one tip in the last three years though. I've left it on overnight before many times too...falling asleep at the wheel and it's a cheap one that doesn't have an auto turn-off.:eek: I hope to get a new weller with the adjustable temp readout sooner than later.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Mesabooger

It's fine if the solder sticks to the gun. As long as it gets hot enough to solder, you're ok.

Well, my problem is that the solder stuck to the end of the gun and it stopped working. True, I didn't crank the heat to max and use the desoldering braid to get the old solder off yet, but it was weird....it wouldn't come off the tip, wouldn't wipe off on the sponge, I just couldn't get it off. How do you know if you're using an abrasive on your tip?

• Members

Did you heat up the piece to be soldered and apply the solder to it? You don't put the solder on the tip except for in between actual solders.

You need to apply the iron tip to the leg of the component and let it heat a second, apply the solder to it and the heat will suck it right up and make a nice shiny solid solder.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

Did you heat up the piece to be soldered and apply the solder to it? You don't put the solder on the tip except for in between actual solders.

You need to apply the iron tip to the leg of the component and let it heat a second, apply the solder to it and the heat will suck it right up and make a nice shiny solid solder.

Yeah, that's what usually happens, but this time the solder actually stuck to the tip of the gun. It was weird. I couldn't get it off, either. I'm going to try desoldering braid later tonight.

Archived