Satch - any love here?

wednesdaysworse

• Members

Originally posted by wednesdaysworse

Anyone have a clue to his signal chain here? Very tasteful.

The self titled album is my favorite for tone. On that album he got away from the gadgets and mostly went guitar into juiced Marshall....simple as it gets. If you must use a boost in front...use it as an overdrive (not distortion) into cranked Marshall.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I dont know why, but I hate him so much for surfing with the alien i cant even listen to anything he is involved with.

His self titled album is really nice..very soulful and musical instead of the hey-look-at-me approach of other albums. I can't see how any guitar player wouldn't enjoy listening to it. The tone is {censored}ing fantastic.

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

:confused:

seriously... hes got so many things working against him for me.

I dont really like insturmental music.
I think his use of drum machines and midi backing tracks sound more like after thoughts than anything else.
to me its just not engaging at all.

my wife bought me one of his CD's about 5 years ago... it was supposed to be all electronica with guitar... seemed like he could have made a good album out of it, but again, the background to his guitar tracks just sounded like an after though again.

Has the guy ever heard of syncopation.

• Members

Satch's backing musicians were top shelf for his self titled CD - much more effective than his using electronic looping and drum machines, etc., IMO. Can't beat live people.
I've heard comments such as "sterile" and "TOO perfect" applied to his playing. Are players just jealous of his chops?
Satch was big 5-10 years ago. Who is today's "Satch"?

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

seriously... hes got so many things working against him for me.

I dont really like insturmental music.

I think his use of drum machines and midi backing tracks sound more like after thoughts than anything else.

to me its just not engaging at all.

my wife bought me one of his CD's about 5 years ago... it was supposed to be all electronica with guitar... seemed like he could have made a good album out of it, but again, the background to his guitar tracks just sounded like an after though again.

Has the guy ever heard of syncopation.

Sounds like you are talking about his Engines of Creations CD that came out in 2000. Not his best work by any means. What he did with that CD was write and record guitar to uptempo electronica pieces that his guitar/synth player sequenced for him. Once he recorded the guitars, he scratched the electronica tracks for parts that were more rock oriented while keeping the vibe and tempo. So yeah, they were in fact basically an afterthought. There were only a couple of tracks from that CD that I liked. Back in the day, he used drum machines and even used his guitar for creating percussion sounds. He would do things like use allen wrenches against his pickups. But he has always had amazing musicians record and play for him from Flying in a Blue Dream on. Flying in a Blue Dream, The Extremist and Crystal Planet are among my favorite discs of his. And his live CD's kick ass. If you only heard the Engines of Creation CD, you got a bad first impression. :)

Archived