OT: The Band and the Rolling Stones....

IAmAScientist

• Members

...each have one of my favorite albums at this particular moment. The Band's self-titled album has some incredible guitar playing and some damn well written songs. Look out Cleaveland has such a rad riff. Jawbone is also incredibly well written. I've also been listening to the Stones's Exile on Main Street...man, it seems like every cut on that album is just perfect. Richards's riffs couldn't be better and the clutter of the mix just makes it that much more raw. I can't stop singing "Got a sweet black angel/got a pin up girl...."

• Members

i feel exactly like you, i discovered those exact 2 albums this year, they are masterpieces

The last song of "The Band" : King Harvest [Has Surely Come] has enormous guitar rythm / lead

and i find that "Exile" seems definitely inspired by "The Band", at least in its 2nd face Disc 1 (vynil talking)

:cool:

• Members

Both bands at the top of their game in terms of playing and songwriting.

I used to like the stones more than the band. Don't know if I'm mellowing, just getting older or whatever, but The Band has really grown on me the past year. I'd say that The Band and The Last Waltz are among the albums I've listen to the most in the last year

• Members

"Exile" is the definitive Stones album. Them at their finest hour. Mick Taylor was the antithesis to Richards, making a perfect dual guitar band.

I've never really warmed up to Ron Wood being with the Stones. Stylistically, he's too much like Keith. Even looks like him. Makes for a boring guitar combo. Funny, I still consider him "the new guy".

And, I'm by no means endorsing drug use, BUT, in the "Exile" era, they were completely wasted on god knows what. Kris Kristofferson wrote some of the best songs ever written when he was obliterated.

That's a whole other discussion.

• Members

Yup, Exile is awesome. I love Rocks off, loving cup, happy, let it loose, and that part where the one song segues into Just wanna see his face. Really I love the whole sound of the album. The stones were best when they just stuck to what they were good at, which was honest, rootsy rock and roll

And the Band's self-titled is pretty good too. I like Rag Mama Rag, and The Night they drove old dixie down gives me chills every time.

• Members

Greil Marcus wrote some good commentary on The Band in "Mystery Train." Clapton has said he wanted to joint The Band, but couldn't work up the nerve to ask.

I'm not sure which was the bigger influence on the 70's, The Band's roots music or The Byrd's country rock. "Maggie Mae" or "Take It Easy"?

• Members

Originally posted by H S

Greil Marcus wrote some good commentary on The Band in "Mystery Train." Clapton has said he wanted to joint The Band, but couldn't work up the nerve to ask.

I read that book! Makes you think The Band' s music is a commentary about the whole American history. Or that the whole American history revolves around The Band:D

• Members

Wow, I'm happy to see such an enthusiastic response to this post. I am very stoked about these albums right now and just wanted to share my enthusiasm for what I think are two of the greatest rock albums I've ever heard. Its funny, since I've always liked both bands but never really delved into either of those two albums. The bands album is so catchy it blows me away. I orginally got into Music From Big Pink, which I used to listen to when I was in school up at the University of California in Santa Cruz. It fit the redwood forest scenery perfectly....any other great, rootsy-rock albums from that time period you guys can recommend? I'll be sure to check them out...have a great holiday everybody.

• Members

Originally posted by moonhead

yow, scientist:

good call on both. each has been in my numero uno slot at one time or nother, Exile remains there. Current home-made religious experience is Let it Loose at max-alcohol / max voulme.

The list of records you might also like given these two is long indeed, but you should run, not walk, to get The Basement Tapes with The Band and Bob Dylan. it's at the center of the center...

Great DVD in the Great Albums series for "The Band," BTW. If you can, netflix the {censored} outta that one asap.

I still haven't watched the Last Waltz. I've been saving that up, but I realized I'm just a dumbass for not seeing it yet and I'm going to rent it soon. I'll check out the basement tapes...I think I already have them. Any other artists/albums?

• Members
Originally posted by newstrat60

mm i think i'll get myself "Music from Big Pink", unless i get the "Basement tapes" before
:idea:

Big pink is a good album. I like the second album better. You might want to check out rock of ages. It's a live album but it has alot of their good songs on it.

Archived